Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:37 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by ashill
And the 500 base mile minimum for each flight (meaning 250, 500, or 750 EQPs for flights less than 500 miles, depending on booking code).
Absolutely - good catch! ^
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:48 am

Programs: aa
gold status while in platinum challenge

Hello,

I am enrolled in the aa platinum challenge right now and am at about 6000 qualifying miles. I have heard from several of the customer service reps that since I've passed the 5000 point threshold needed for the gold challenge, they would award me gold status in the interim while still completing the rest of my platinum challenge.

I called today and was told the absolutely cannot do that and only award gold status if after my 90 days, I failed to make platinum.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can help me prove that they should give me gold status right now?

I've tried finding the answer to this online and can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help
Old Jan 16, 2010, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by davcjohn
Hello,

I am enrolled in the aa platinum challenge right now and am at about 6000 qualifying miles. I have heard from several of the customer service reps that since I've passed the 5000 point threshold needed for the gold challenge, they would award me gold status in the interim while still completing the rest of my platinum challenge.

I called today and was told the absolutely cannot do that and only award gold status if after my 90 days, I failed to make platinum.

Does anyone have any experience with this and can help me prove that they should give me gold status right now?

I've tried finding the answer to this online and can't find it anywhere. Thanks in advance for your help
Welcome to FT, davcjohn!

It sounds like what you're trying to do is to be enrolled in both challenges concurrently ... this is not supposed to be permitted. You can't "prove that they should give you gold status" now, because they shouldn't.

The unpublished program is supposed to be for a single challenge (either gold or platinum), and you only receive the benefits once completed successfully. It's unfortunate that you received misinformation from other customer service reps.

That's not to say that you might not find one that may make an exception for you, but it is not supposed to work like that. Keep flying to get to 10,000 EQP in 3 months and you'll be there (and never look back once you've reached your goal! )

EDIT TO ADD:
You mention both miles and points in your post. Remember - Challenges are based on elite qualifying points, not miles.
Also, you won't find any of this on AA's site since it is an unpublished program. The AA Wiki section on challenges has useful information (indeed, the AA Wiki is useful overall, IMO).
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:03 am

Platinum Challenge Question

I am traveling on a LAN flight to Chile in Business class. It is a codeshare but i booked directly with LAN. I am gettign miles for this flight on AA. Do these miles qualify for the Platinum Challenge?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by traderprofit
I am traveling on a LAN flight to Chile in Business class. It is a codeshare but i booked directly with LAN. I am gettign miles for this flight on AA. Do these miles qualify for the Platinum Challenge?
AA codeshares DO qualify
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

BTW - There is a <redacted recurving link> sticky thread at the top of this page [/URL]that is specifically about the challenges. I will ask the MODs to merge.

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 16, 2010 at 10:08 am Reason: <redacted recurving link>
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:06 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Done! Not exactly sure how one can miss the first thread, sticky yet, in the Forum, but here it is.

Originally Posted by miamigrad
AA codeshares DO qualify
http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29

BTW - There is a <redacted recurving link>
sticky thread at the top of this page [/URL]that is specifically about the challenges. I will ask the MODs to merge.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by miamigrad
You don't lose your status until end of February. Qualification year is January 1 - December 31, while status/membership year goes until end of February.

In your case, if you were to do the challenge, you would not be able to initiate one until March 1 or later when you drop back down to Gold.

Wait - I always read (and the wiki seems to state directly) that you could only start a challenge after you go through a full year with no status. Does this mean that you can complete the PLT challenge, fail to requalify for PLT, then soft land to GLD and start a new PLT challenge as soon as you are GLD?

Alternatively, if that is not the case, then does soft landing year of GLD count as the 'downgraded year' from PLT? In other words:

Year 1 - PLT via challenge
Year 2 - GLD via soft landing
Year 3 - Start PLT challenge as soon as GLD expires?

Last edited by nickflies; Jan 17, 2010 at 9:44 am Reason: clarity
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by nickflies
Wait - I always read (and the wiki seems to state directly) that you could only start a challenge after you go through a full year with no status.
I do not recall ever seeing it stated that way and I don't see that statement anywhere in the wiki. Could you please point me to where you read that?

To clarify:
One does not have to go through a full year with no status, but a certain amount of time (at least a year iirc) does have to elapse before one will be allowed to challenge again. During that time one can earn status by standard methods. There is absolutely no requirement that one must to remain without status between challenges.

Does this mean that you can complete the PLT challenge, fail to requalify for PLT, then soft land to GLD and start a new PLT challenge as soon as you are GLD?

Alternatively, if that is not the case, then does soft landing year of GLD count as the 'downgraded year' from PLT? In other words:

Year 1 - PLT via challenge
Year 2 - GLD via soft landing
Year 3 - Start PLT challenge as soon as GLD expires?
In the past it was possible to do as you have described above, however, "serial challenges" are no longer allowed. One must either earn status by standard methods or go without for a period of time.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, former AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Uber Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
I do not recall ever seeing it stated that way and I don't see that statement anywhere in the wiki. Could you please point me to where you read that?
I was going off the statement under Repeating a Challenge
"AA Challenges may not be repeated back to back from one year to the next - that is, you may not use a challenge to requalify. If you do not requalify within the year, you will be downgraded one level, either to gold or no status. At the end of the downgraded year, you may complete the challenge again to regain your original status. (This info provided by AAdvantage rep on 10/10/2006.)" Emphasis mine.

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
During that time one can earn status by standard methods. There is absolutely no requirement that one must to remain without status between challenges.
So, theoretically, if you qualify for GLD again via standard methods during your 'soft landing' period, then you could start a PLT challenge during the next qualification year?

I'm expecting to qualify for PLT via standard methods, but just wanted to see what is possible as a 'safety net' - never know what the economy will do to my travel patterns!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
I was going off the statement under Repeating a Challenge
"AA Challenges may not be repeated back to back from one year to the next - that is, you may not use a challenge to requalify. If you do not requalify within the year, you will be downgraded one level, either to gold or no status. At the end of the downgraded year, you may complete the challenge again to regain your original status. (This info provided by AAdvantage rep on 10/10/2006.)" Emphasis mine.
As you have probably noticed, there is no requirement that one must be without status.

So, theoretically, if you qualify for GLD again via standard methods during your 'soft landing' period, then you could start a PLT challenge during the next qualification year?
Yes, at this point, as I understand it, that would be possible.
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:11 pm

Taking my first flight on AA in ~5 years and my first PLT challenge flight tomorrow

I recently switched travel patterns (was west coast mainly, now trans con to the NE) so I had to select a new airline. AA won because I can get PriorityAccess fairly easy that gets me more quickly though security and AA serves international destinations for award travel. Here's to a good first flight tomorrow ^
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:15 pm

Welcome back to AA

Safe travels tomorrow!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
My recommendation -- Have low expectations and then you'll be pleasantly surprised when things aren't as bad as you expected.

For example, expect to have Helen as an FA, a POS-on both sides of you, a middle seat at the back, a WX cancellation and rebooking -- and you're sure to have a better experience .
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
And now for the obligatory "you do understand the PLT Challenge is based on points and not miles, right?" post.

Seriously, enjoy!
Old Jan 19, 2010, 2:31 am

Programs: AA Plat; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; SPG Plat;Hertz Pres Circle; Jelly of the Month Club - Marmalade Level
Close shave on PLT challenge

I just checked AA.com and learned I am PLT. It was close, due to a cancellation a couple of weeks ago.

1) my qualifying flight took place on day 90 of the challenge;

2) I earned a total of 10,053 EQP's during the 90 days.

Just curious if anyone else ever cut it so close?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.