Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

ARCHIVE: AAdvantage Gold & Platinum Elite Status Challenges 2004 - 2011

Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by richie.rockwell
once i get to 5000 EQM ... will my EQM minimum ...360 EQM ... 500 EQM... AFTER 500 EQM ... the 500 EQM
Please note, challenges are calculated on points not miles.

Once you become GLD and begin earning the 500 EQM minimum, some fare classes will still only earn 250 EQP.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by richie.rockwell
I started the GOLD challenge as of Jan 1 of this year. I will easily complete the gold challenge and am considering upgrading it to a platinum challenge.
Welcome to FT! Complete your gold challenge, of course, but don't upgrade it. Instead, start a new Platinum challenge on or after 6/16. That will give you almost an extra year of elite status.

As explained above, challenges are based on "points". For each mile you get 1/2, 1, or 1.5 points depending on the booking class. See the following: http://aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/progra...quirements.jsp.

Last edited by aktchi; Jan 7, 2010 at 3:55 pm
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by aktchi
Complete your gold challenge, of course, but don't upgrade it. Instead, start a new Platinum challenge on or after 6/16. That will give you almost an extra year of elite status.
Assuming the OP will NOT fly 50K EQM, 50K EQP, or 60 EQS in 2010, this is advice worth considering, but if the OP will be flying enough to earn PLT the standard way, waiting until 6/16 to take a PLT challenge makes little sense.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: Aadvantage
Thank you both. I am not sure i would make plt the standard way so i am going to do just that, hold off until after 6/16. Much appreciated.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:23 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport
I am thinking about a PLT challenge this year and would like someone to clarify the qualification period.

If I begin on 2/12, would a flight on 5/13 count toward my EQP's for the challenge? I'm assuming it won't, but it would be nice to get the 100% bonus on a MAD-ORD leg I have planned on 5/13 and not add anything else to my current travel schedule during that period.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:30 am

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
Originally Posted by anotherlincoln
I am thinking about a PLT challenge this year and would like someone to clarify the qualification period.

If I begin on 2/12, would a flight on 5/13 count toward my EQP's for the challenge? I'm assuming it won't, but it would be nice to get the 100% bonus on a MAD-ORD leg I have planned on 5/13 and not add anything else to my current travel schedule during that period.
Challenges begin on the 1st or 16th of the month. So, if you set the challenge to begin 02/16, your 5/13 flight would count. Obviously, a challenge with start date of 2/1 would disqualify the EQP from the 05/13 flight.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by miamigrad
Challenges begin on the 1st or 16th of the month. So, if you set the challenge to begin 02/16, your 5/13 flight would count. Obviously, a challenge with start date of 2/1 would disqualify the EQP from the 05/13 flight.

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...lenge_%28AA%29
thanks, I misunderstood "you can request a specific start date (within the next few months). Be very explicit about requesting a start date unless you want the one offered to you." to be ANY specific start date, not just a x/1 or x/16.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime GLD; DL Gold
Number of Challenges Allowed

Is there a policy on how many challenges one can do in a decade? I have seen previous posts suggesting that there are limits. I ask because I completed a PLT challenge in July, but ended up with 60,000 EQM anyway. Is my clock reset for future challenges? Thanks for any insights.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, SQ PPS, MARRIOTT PLT, HILTON GLD, SPG PLT
PLAT Challenge Sign-up

Just signed up for my PLAT challenge. First flights are tomorrow - should net about 3200 EQP.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXPLT, SQ PPS, MARRIOTT PLT, HILTON GLD, SPG PLT
PLAT Challenge Sign up

Failed to add details:

Cost: $150
Start Dates: As stated in previous posts - can only start on 1st or 16th of the month.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Burney
Failed to add details:

Cost: $150
Start Dates: As stated in previous posts - can only start on 1st or 16th of the month.
Good to get re-confirmation of the $150 sign up fee for Plat challenge.

Re: can start on 1st or 16th of the month. It means one can travel on the 1st or the 16th of any month, right?

I anticipate signing up for challenge in second half, maybe June 16 as start date.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Re: can start on 1st or 16th of the month. It means one can travel on the 1st or the 16th of any month, right?
Travel on the start date does count towards the challenge.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:15 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Good to get re-confirmation of the $150 sign up fee for Plat challenge.

I anticipate signing up for challenge in second half, maybe June 16 as start date.
OK, so apparently the increased fees were, indeed, seasonal, and I see that someone has already updated the wiki accordingly! ^
Old Jan 11, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BMI
Hi all,
I've signed up for the Platinum challenge and will complete as part of the following economy one world RTW trip.

LHR-PEK-NRT-SGN-HKG-BNE-LAX-SFO-DFW-YVR-JFK-GIG-SCL-IPC-SCL-LAX-LHR

I'm currently in BNE and expect to hit the requirements when I land at YVR. I gather I'll need to call AA to get my status upgrade reflected on the remaining flights. I think this should get me into the lounges.

I gather I'll also receive some upgrade vouchers on hitting platinum and I'm wondering whether I'll be able to use these at some point later in the trip.

I'd appreciate any tips you can give on how to get the most out of my new status.
Thanks,
Pete
Old Jan 11, 2010, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by ProggerPete
Hi all,
I've signed up for the Platinum challenge and will complete as part of the following economy one world RTW trip.

LHR-PEK-NRT-SGN-HKG-BNE-LAX-SFO-DFW-YVR-JFK-GIG-SCL-IPC-SCL-LAX-LHR

I'm currently in BNE and expect to hit the requirements when I land at YVR. I gather I'll need to call AA to get my status upgrade reflected on the remaining flights. I think this should get me into the lounges.

I gather I'll also receive some upgrade vouchers on hitting platinum and I'm wondering whether I'll be able to use these at some point later in the trip.

I'd appreciate any tips you can give on how to get the most out of my new status.
Thanks,
Pete
You do not receive any "upgrade vouchers" (aka eVIPs) on hitting PLT. Only EXPs receive those. You will start earning stickers for domestic upgrades only. The AA Wiki section on upgrades is quite informative.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.