Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK address on account, can AA.com display fares in $?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; SPG GLD; Hilton GLD
UK address on account, can AA.com display fares in $?

I will be making a move to the UK next month. My SO has been there since August and I've noticed that after we changed the address on her account profile, all fares are displayed in £. We usually like to use our US CCs to buy tickets, but I assume we'll now be hit up with currency conversion charges etc. if we continue to do this.
If there's no way around it, we could probably leave one account on a US address, but this isn't ideal as we'll both be crossing 1MM in the near future.

On another note on fairness of 4 VIPs vs. 8 stickers. When we used to live in SF, we'd frequently fly SFO-JFK and upgrade for free or stickers (when Plat). Now we'll frequently fly LHR-JFK, a flight thats only 1 hr longer, and similar service in J, but will require us to use VIPs or miles+copay.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
If you use the advanced search page, you can choose a country of residence there. Even if you are logged in, and have UK residence on your account, you can choose US and get the price in dollars.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If your credit card billing address is in the US, then aa.com will convert the price to USD for you at time of purchase I believe.

Just make sure that you don't move the billing address of your US card to the UK though otherwise aa.com will automatically convert the fare to GBP when you give your credit card details

Dave

Last edited by Dave Noble; Dec 25, 2006 at 2:02 pm
Old Dec 25, 2006, 4:21 pm

Programs: GGL/GFL
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
If your credit card billing address is in the US, then aa.com will convert the price to USD for you at time of purchase I believe.
This is my experience as well. Currently have a UK adress in my AA profile, but charge tickets through AA.com to a US card. It always recognizes this and there is usually a message on AA.com notifying you that they have converted the charge to the currency of the credit card on file.

Works pretty good for me.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jkirsch

On another note on fairness of 4 VIPs vs. 8 stickers. When we used to live in SF, we'd frequently fly SFO-JFK and upgrade for free or stickers (when Plat). Now we'll frequently fly LHR-JFK, a flight thats only 1 hr longer, and similar service in J, but will require us to use VIPs or miles+copay.
Yes, but
SFO-JFK is 2586 miles and would take 6 500 mile upgrades
LHR-JFK, would be 7 upgrades.

So, getting EVIPS at the rate of 1 VIP per 2 500 miles upgrades is a very good deal for Non-USians
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Plt, HH Diamond, IHG Plt
I now live in Italy and have no problems getting tickets on aa.com in dollars and charging to my credit card which is still with US address. If they were to bill me in pounds or another foreign currency, the credit cards now add a fee for the money conversion so use dollars to avoid the fee. I believe the fee is 2% as I pay it once a month for charges made in Euros.

Do not understand the VIP statement above. Did not think you could convert stickers to them? Is this a change or my just not knowing?

Also am sure you know that flights originating in Paris and the UK now have a luxury tax for using VIP's. Do not know if this applies to upgrades using miles and co pay? I just paid the tax to France.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.