Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Swiss Knights Fondue and Cheese purchase for AA miles master thread.

Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Last edited by tmcneill; May 12, 2012 at 8:04 am
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by tmcneill
Both the Fondue and Cheese Wheel are clearly marked on the outside for the AAdvantage promotion. Both are worth 500 miles.
I believe that the post was in reference to the cheese being sold online (via amazon.com) -- while it is clearly marked on the outside, one would not know this until it is received (as the cheese is being purchased sight unseen).

Mike
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Let me see, all I need is 800 packs of cheese and I make PLT for life!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
My store is selling the Cheese Wheel for $2.99 (lowest price I have seen yet on flyertalk). I think I will buy them out tonight (maybe 15 wheels left in my store) and check their other stores later this week.
That is super cheap! Is it a local one-off type place or a chain?

If it says Costco stock them I'll go and take a look, however I noticed their Coca-Cola wasn't in MyCokeRewards...I'd hate to pre-order $2000 worth and find it wasn't eligible for the promotion I feel I'd have to make a bath from it and then drown myself

The ones I've done before were loyalty points on given items as decided by the store selling them so no debate over whether miles would be awarded. This is tricky to call, especially in the early stages of the promotion.

If this does work out I might see if I can organise some charity type event since opened packages probably won't be accepted. I work in a twenty story office block so getting rid of lots of fondue cheese shouldn't be too hard. A fondue cook-off perhaps?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Found the last remaining six cheese wheels at my local Albertson's for $4.99. Not that of a good price, but still >$0.01 per mile. Fortunately, they carried the assorted type, so I got to try the different flavors.

In fact, I think I'm beginning to like this stuff!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:28 pm

Waldbaum's

My supermarket is Waldbaum's, which is also owned by the same company as A&P, SuperFresh and The Food Emporium. All located in NY, NJ, CT, DC, DE, MD and PA.

I found both the Fondue and Cheese Wheel on cardboard display cases near the dairy cooler. These are the temporary displays that are just sitting on the floor. The Fondue is priced at $5.99 and the Cheese Wheel is only $2.99. The Cheese Wheel is actually very good cheese, an assortment of different flavors on the same wheel.

I have so far entered 6 codes. I will keep you posted if and when the miles post. As was mentioned, the details at the emmiusa website are limited. If there is no limit on the number of codes you can enter this could be a great way to top off your account. 10,000 AAdvantage miles for $60.00 plus cheese sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

I am going to check Waldbaum's in Brooklyn, but in case they don't carry it, would you mind giving me (by PM if you wish) the address of your local store?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I checked two Harris Teeters, an Earth Fare and a Whole Foods on the way home. Nothing but the hard cheeses from Emmi.

I will try to check Costco and Kroger tomorrow.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Fraser
If this does work out I might see if I can organise some charity type event since opened packages probably won't be accepted. I work in a twenty story office block so getting rid of lots of fondue cheese shouldn't be too hard. A fondue cook-off perhaps?
That's the thing... the charities probably won't accept already-opened packages (free miles + mile scroungers = Christmas in November )

BUT, I'm sure the charities wouldn't mind accepting the cheese if they were the ones to open them.

Why couldn't they have done this promo with Halloween candy or something?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:34 pm

Perhaps we could pool together our orders and buy a few thousand cases from a wholesaler for a substantial discount? I bet we could get some pretty cheap miles that way. I would gladly help organize if people were interested.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 6:35 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

No freakin cheese in suburban Washington DC. I WANT CHEESE!
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by martian
Perhaps we could pool together our orders and buy a few thousand cases from a wholesaler for a substantial discount? I bet we could get some pretty cheap miles that way. I would gladly help organize if people were interested.
I would be game assuming we were all in the same metropolitan area.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:44 pm
44C

Programs: AA EXP (OW EME), Hyatt Globalist
I live this site! What a great laugh. We're all crazy.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Landing Gear
I would be game assuming we were all in the same metropolitan area.

Why? All we need are the codes right? We could probably either buy a ton in a physical shop whereever it is the cheapest, or buy a ton online and have them send it all to one or a number of places. I don't really care about the cheese, just the mileage codes
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA Exp
Originally Posted by martian
You'd have to worry about getting wheels without the promo.
But if you can find a way to get the price down far enough it would be worth a little risk. Count me in.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:09 pm

Count me in.

I also think we could donate the cheese to a charitable food bank
to make the purchase deductible!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.