FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   what happens if i don't show up for the last leg of my flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/606794-what-happens-if-i-dont-show-up-last-leg-my-flight.html)

engineroom Sep 28, 2006 11:52 am

what happens if i don't show up for the last leg of my flight?

called today to rebook the last leg of a two leg return SFO-LAX-MIA (essentially giving me a few days layover in LAX)

cost was $300+ to just change the LAX-MIA leg, but I can book a one-way on the same flight for $149- plus I was told if I explicitely cancelled the LAX-MIA leg there was a charge- should have asked how much.

so if i fly SFO-LAX, then not get on LAX-MIA and buy the one way for the later date, are there any consequences to that? Can I check my bags just to SFO-LAX?

rbessler Sep 28, 2006 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by engineroom
called today to rebook the last leg of a two leg return SFO-LAX-MIA (essentially giving me a few days layover in LAX)

cost was $300+ to just change the LAX-MIA leg, but I can book a one-way on the same flight for $149- plus I was told if I explicitely cancelled the LAX-MIA leg there was a charge- should have asked how much.

so if i fly SFO-LAX, then not get on LAX-MIA and buy the one way for the later date, are there any consequences to that? Can I check my bags just to SFO-LAX?

Technically, this is against the rules. I believe the term is "throw away ticketing"... there are tons of situations where doing this would be significantly cheaper than the direct flight, and as a result, airlines nominally ban doing this. That being said, as a practical matter, you're alright doing it once or twice, but I would not consider doing it more than that, or making a habit of it, or youre likely to find your AAdvantage account under heavy scrutiny.

SAT Lawyer Sep 28, 2006 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by engineroom
so if i fly SFO-LAX, then not get on LAX-MIA and buy the one way for the later date, are there any consequences to that?

Not likely. Only if you are foolish enough to fess up to AA that you skipped the second leg on purpose to save money (or something like that). Otherwise, your absence will be inconsquential.

Can I check my bags just to SFO-LAX?
No. If you check your bags, they are headed all the way to MIA.

engineroom Sep 28, 2006 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by rbessler
Technically, this is against the rules. I believe the term is "throw away ticketing"... there are tons of situations where doing this would be significantly cheaper than the direct flight, and as a result, airlines nominally ban doing this. That being said, as a practical matter, you're alright doing it once or twice, but I would not consider doing it more than that, or making a habit of it, or youre likely to find your AAdvantage account under heavy scrutiny.

the guy at the platinum desk actually told me "you could just not show up"

oh well...nothing like the old byzantine fare structures...

engineroom Sep 28, 2006 1:03 pm

i am thinking just to cancel the whole return and re-book

nancy61 Sep 28, 2006 1:38 pm

I've had over a dozen instances where I have no-showed for the last segment of a trip. Plans changed, I had to be somewhere else, etc. Nothing has ever happened.

kamarge Sep 28, 2006 1:48 pm

Along the same lines - what happens if you want to skip/miss the first segment of a flight? I'm guessing this would be tougher and may require a change fee to be paid or they won't honor the following segments.

WhoME Sep 28, 2006 2:01 pm

If you miss any segment, the remainder of your itinerary will be canceled. If it's the last segment you're missing, it's generally no problem. Missing the first, however, is another story unless you're on a fully refundable fare or you arrive within the "flat tire" window, about 2 hours I think. Depending on your fare rules, you will often simply lose the entire value of your ticket and have to buy a new one at the walkup price. Not a good idea.

Michael

SAT Lawyer Sep 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by kamarge
Along the same lines - what happens if you want to skip/miss the first segment of a flight?

If you skip the first segment -- or any segment(s) before the last one(s) -- your remaining itinerary will be cancelled and you will be required to buy a new ticket for any further travel.

kamarge Sep 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by WhoME
If you miss any segment, the remainder of your itinerary will be canceled. If it's the last segment you're missing, it's generally no problem. Missing the first, however, is another story unless you're on a fully refundable fare or you arrive within the "flat tire" window, about 2 hours I think. Depending on your fare rules, you will often simply lose the entire value of your ticket and have to buy a new one at the walkup price. Not a good idea.

Michael

I figured as much! Guess I won't be doing that then ;)

twenex Sep 28, 2006 3:08 pm

No problems here... I've done it plenty of times although the rules are:
1. Only ever do this on your return (or on a 1 way) otherwise the rest of your itin will be cancelled
2. You can't check luggage partway through
3. Dont, um, tell anyone ;)

f9999 Sep 28, 2006 3:27 pm

I don't think it was mentioned yet, but you might want to think twice about booking the later LAX-MIA flight on the same airline though, in advance. That's different than just not showing up. On another airline is a different story.

IceTrojan Sep 28, 2006 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
No. If you check your bags, they are headed all the way to MIA.

Originally Posted by twenex
2. You can't check luggage partway through

:confused: :confused: :confused:

I've been able to short-check my bags before (though not for the purpose of skipping the last legs). This was 1 1/2 years ago. Has it changed?

myfrogger Sep 28, 2006 4:14 pm

You might be able to check your bags only part way but it isn't something that you should count on. They are going to ask you WHY you want to do it, and if you're honest with your answer, the airline isn't going to like your answer.

cme2c Sep 28, 2006 4:29 pm

Tell them you want to take a shower in LAX and need your checked luggage. Show up after not showering for about three days. If they question you, make them smell your armpits. Then they will short check your bags to LAX.