FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP* (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/583843-status-sale-including-exp.html)

JonNYC Jul 27, 2006 3:06 pm

STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

http://www.aa.com/prepaidtravelcard

FWAAA Jul 27, 2006 3:08 pm

Only a matter of time until AA copied UA on this one.

Bonaturtle Jul 27, 2006 3:10 pm

why would anyone buy that, especially mid-year?

elron938 Jul 27, 2006 3:11 pm

Looks to be only a "limited time" offer until 8/31/06, although I imagine it will be extended if the reception is positive.

Elite status is only through 2/28/07.

oklAAhoma Jul 27, 2006 3:11 pm

omg! I wish they would have offered this earlier in the year. I would have gladly paid that to avoid requalification by *gasp* segments.

justageek Jul 27, 2006 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Only a matter of time until AA copied UA on this one.

Agreed.

And in the hopes of cutting short what could otherwise turn into a 500-page thread: this is not a dilution of status because they're essentially selling EQMs at 10 cents per mile, which is not at all a bargain.

sany2 Jul 27, 2006 3:12 pm

So a trip in business class to europe and you are already at plat!

Two and you get EXP!

If I traveled AA I would do this.

FWAAA Jul 27, 2006 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by elron938
Looks to be only a "limited time" offer until 8/31/06, although I imagine it will be extended if the reception is positive.

Elite status is only though 2/28/07.

Only for those who can't figure out how to actually qualify for their prefered level with this card by 12/31/06. ;)

This is an EXP "status match" if you think you'll spend $10k (or can comply with the paid extensions of the card's value according to the rules).

JonNYC Jul 27, 2006 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by elron938

Elite status is only though 2/28/07.

*KEY POINT*, IMHO.
That's not a lot of time at the status for that much $$.

olimaspecto Jul 27, 2006 3:18 pm

I guess its good that it is only offering elite status valid through Feb. Props to AA on this one as I would have though they would offer it through 2008

Fly AA J all the way Jul 27, 2006 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sany2
So a trip in business class to europe and you are already at plat!

Two and you get EXP!

If I traveled AA I would do this.

Or EXP for an F int'l ticket or a couple of AFS F tickets.

Kiwi Flyer Jul 27, 2006 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by T&Cs
The Card is valid for purchases of American Airlines travel products and services only.

I'm guessing that excludes RTWs.

CO FF Jul 27, 2006 3:24 pm

The timing of this really sucks. My travel spend on AA from March 28-June 10 was way north of $10k...including 3 $1800 o/w J transcons.

A serious question: I read the T&C, and it doesn't mention anything about eVIPs. Does anyone know if these "bought" EXPs come with eVIPs?

Kiwi Flyer Jul 27, 2006 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by olimaspecto
I guess its good that it is only offering elite status valid through Feb. Props to AA on this one as I would have though they would offer it through 2008

But if plan your travel well you can extend the status through normal means, right?

JonNYC Jul 27, 2006 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by olimaspecto

Me too. And this really is quite late in the year.

Then again, if things still work the way we expect a no status person could get till 02/07 at EP and then another year at Plat for $10K they might be spending other wise.

Maybe the true "suckers" are those non-EXPs who don't do this program-- but then spend 10K on AA in the next 8 months..