Free EXP/PLT access to AC?

Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Westford MA - AA PLT, 1.5MM, Lifetime AC, AAdvantage since 1981
Free EXP/PLT access to AC?

Before someone says that this topic has been discussed berfore, please read it carefully. I think it may be a different idea.

According to http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/oneworld-status:
Sapphire status gives access (with one guest) to all Business Class/Frequent Flyer lounges regardless of the class of travel.
This means that a EXP/PLT should have free access to any OneWorld lounge. Of course, AA limits access to international travelers, so you might think that a EXP/PLT card will not give you access to the AC.

But in Los Angeles, the AC is also the Qantas club. And Qantas does allow club access for Emerald/Sapphire holders. So I believe that PLT/EXP holders should have free access to the Los Angeles AC for themselves and one guest.

The Los Angeles AC has a Qantas rep at the upstairs desk. I suppose you would have to check in with him/her. But you should have access. Also, to any other ACs that are also clubs for other OW airlines.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Believe what you want, but please don't spread misinformation to the rest of the board.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:07 am

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/oneworld-status/american-airlines

Sapphire - AAdvantage Platinum
Platinum is equivalent to oneworld Sapphire

AAdvantage Platinum® members will be entitled to the following benefits across the oneworld network:

Priority check-in at Business Class check-in desks (where available), regardless of the class of service flown.
Preferred boarding (board at leisure).
Preferred seating.
Priority standby and waitlisting.

Entrance to all of the oneworld airlines' Business Class and airport lounges when travelling internationally*, regardless of the class of service flown on that day.

* Lounge access is not available when travelling solely on North American itineraries. North American itineraries are defined as travel within or between the USA, Canada, Mexico (with the exception of Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:13 am
Original Poster

dukieee quotes the AA rules. But the Qantas rules give you access. If you go to any other Qantas club with a EXP/PLT card, they will give you access. Why not at the Los Angeles Qantas Club, which just happens to be the AC?
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:32 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
GoBears sig lists as a Lifetime AdmClub.

I guess this is a discussion for the sake of discussion as the OP would get AC access as a lifetime member anyhow. OR am I reading TOOO much into the sig (as the OP is reading too much into the OW/QF details).

The OW rules apply for OW related flights and not AA-only (as in domestic) flights). So if the OP is trying to tell someone else (since as lifetime they dont need it) that LAX will allow EXP/PLT on an AA domestic only trip by quoting the OW (as in AA domestic to/from a OW international journey) I would say - definately not correct.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP & 2MM, Marriott PLT, Hilton GLD, SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond
If you check the other One World partner airlines they all state that lounge access is available for use regardless of class of travel for Emerald members... the only exception is AA that has the caveat of "when travelling internationally" added.

It may be a question of who you qualified for Emerald with - if AA, then you'd have to assume that you'd be excluded but by if with Qantas etc. then by the One World site rules, should be OK.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The OP makes an interesting argument, and perhaps it would hold up in court. But a court does not get to decide your ability to access the AC, the AC does, and they're going to throw you out on your ear every time if you try to access the club using the OP's argument.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:50 am

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by Blumie
The OP makes an interesting argument, and perhaps it would hold up in court. But a court does not get to decide your ability to access the AC, the AC does, and they're going to throw you out on your ear every time if you try to access the club using the OP's argument.
And I would definately RATHER go to court and ask Judge Judy or any of the other TV judges .. as compared to asking the AC Dragons (let along the FL DragonQueen).
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Blimey, Blumie, you miss the point. You would not be going to the AC, but to the Qantas club which just happens to be in the same space.

There are 2 Qantas clubs at LAX; one in Term 4 (with the AC) and another at TBIT. If you show up at the TBIT Qantas club with a PLT card, do you think they would let you it? How about a BA Emerald card or a CP Sapphire card? Yes? OK. Then why not an AA Emerald card? And it you can get in the TBIT club, why not the Term 4 Club?

Once again, you would be going to the Qantas club, not the AC.

As JGR01 pointed out, I have life access to AC, so I cannot try this. But I hope another FTer does, so we can find out if this works or if it is, as Blumie says, merely "misinformation."
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
http://www.oneworld.com/ow/ffp/lounge-access

Nice try, but I think they've got themselves covered. See the bit below, from the One-World page devoted specifically to lounge access, I added the bolding. Would anybody suggest that, while flying SFO-LAX on AA I would be given access to the BA operated Terraces lounge at SFO as a Plat? I didn't think so. But that's equivalent to what the OP suggests with the 'Qantas' lounge at LAX.

AAdvantage Platinum®

Equivalent to oneworld Sapphire

Lounge access benefits: When travelling internationally* on any of the oneworld member airlines, regardless of the class of service, a Sapphire equivalent member and one guest will be welcome in any of the exclusive airline pre-flight Business Class and Frequent Flyer lounges.

* Solely North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean are not considered international destinations. This exception applies to AAdvantage members only and not to any other oneworld Frequent Flyer programme members.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoBears
Blimey, Blumie, you miss the point. You would not be going to the AC, but to the Qantas club which just happens to be in the same space.

There are 2 Qantas clubs at LAX; one in Term 4 (with the AC) and another at TBIT. If you show up at the TBIT Qantas club with a PLT card, do you think they would let you it? How about a BA Emerald card or a CP Sapphire card? Yes? OK. Then why not an AA Emerald card? And it you can get in the TBIT club, why not the Term 4 Club?

Once again, you would be going to the Qantas club, not the AC.

As JGR01 pointed out, I have life access to AC, so I cannot try this. But I hope another FTer does, so we can find out if this works or if it is, as Blumie says, merely "misinformation."
No, I didn't miss the point, which is the only reason I said you make an interesting argument. But it's still not gonna work.

Originally Posted by nomore1k
Nice try, but I think they've got themselves covered. See the bit below, from the One-World page devoted specifically to lounge access, I added the bolding. Would anybody suggest that, while flying SFO-LAX on AA I would be given access to the BA operated Terraces lounge at SFO as a Plat? I didn't think so. But that's equivalent to what the OP suggests with the 'Qantas' lounge at LAX.

AAdvantage Platinum®

Equivalent to oneworld Sapphire

Lounge access benefits: When travelling internationally* on any of the oneworld member airlines, regardless of the class of service, a Sapphire equivalent member and one guest will be welcome in any of the exclusive airline pre-flight Business Class and Frequent Flyer lounges.

* Solely North American itineraries within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean are not considered international destinations. This exception applies to AAdvantage members only and not to any other oneworld Frequent Flyer programme members.
These are the rules for AC access, not for QP access. QF's rules state:

Lounge access benefits: When travelling on any of the oneworld member airlines, regardless of the class of service, a Sapphire equivalent member and one guest will be welcome in any of the exclusive airline pre-flight Business Class and Frequent Flyer lounges.
I think the OP found a legitimate loophole in the rules. That said, it still won't work.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 9:57 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
I used the OP's assumption to gain access to the Quantas Lounge in SYD. I was not on an international INT but, juts a hop from SYD to Cairns. I am AA Plat and used UA to go to SYD. I had no problem. I have never tried it domestically.

I suspect the result would be different as some lounges (read the numerous threads about BA's MIA lounge) have difficulty with admitance even if you meet the International reqt.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:03 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

I think the OP found a legitimate loophole in the rules. That said, it still won't work.
When I read the OP, I was going to respond as others have- with the AA rules from the OW page. But, as I read it, I saw that these didn't necessarily apply. I agree that the OP has, indeed, found an apparent loophole. Does PLT/EXP get access to a general QP/BA, whatever lounge flying AA domestically (as the rules imply)? If so, the AC/QP lounge in T4 should work. I don't know the answer to the first part, and that will play into the second part.

I also agree that, loophole aside, it won't work in practice...but someone who is not an AC member should try

Cheers.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:22 am

Sorry, it's pretty clear that there is no loophole. The rules for AA PLT say

Originally Posted by AA Platinum Guide
Benefits of Sapphire status include access on the day of travel to the Business Class lounges of all oneworld airlines when you are traveling internationally*...

* Lounge access not available when travel is wholly within the U.S., Canada...
Internationally in this context doesn't mean on an international flight, it simply means outside of the U.S. (and Canada, Mexico, etc.), so you ought to (and do) have lounge access on domestic flights within Australia, the UK, Spain, Chile, Peru, Ireland, Finland, New Zealand (and soon Japan and Hungary; did I miss any?).

The Qantas admission rules are moot both in practice and in (the hypothetical) court; since it's AA who have to pay for your lounge use, it's AA who decide which lounges you can use, and AA never promised OW lounges on US domestic (+ etc.) itineraries. To the contrary, they go out of their way to point out that you don't get it.

Michael
Old Feb 14, 2007, 10:23 am

Programs: AA PLT-Lite. UA Recovering 1k, HH Silver
These are the rules for AC access, not for QP access. QF's rules state:
To my reading they are the rules for AA Plats accessing any OneWorld business class lounges (which would include QF lounges). Note that it appears on the page under "AAdvantage Platinum" not "Admirals Club". Note further that it says "any of the exclusive airline pre-flight Business Class and Frequent Flyer lounges." Not just AC.

In any case we all concur that, in the real world, it ain't gonna happen. And as much as I love FT, we all have to do our real travel out there in the real world, not here on the board.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.