STATUS FOR SALE-- *including EXP*

Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that elitetraveler is thinking what I've been thinking: Can an existing EXP buy eight eVIPs for a guaranteed $10k spend? For those who already spend more than that each year, that would be eight "free" eVIPs.

I doubt that existing EXPs would get eight additional eVIPs, even if AA takes my $10k. But if I'm wrong, that's eight free upgrades.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
As an EXP, since I know I will be spending 10k dollars with AA flying between now and then - I could use the extra eVIPs.
Who ever said anything about extra VIPs???
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
They're not gonna' do it that way.
You think they would give the eVIPs to somebody who was just buying the card and not an existing EXP who was willing to give them 10k in cash to play with?

That would upset me!
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Who ever said anything about extra VIPs???
From my call to AA they don't even seem to know if you get the eVIPs when you buy the 10k EXP card....all they could say is they could not find anything that says you do get them. As mentioned above, they are calling me tomorrow. Guess one of the suits at AAdvantage will have a query when the get to their desk tomorrow.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP (5.8MM Airpass) Delta Gold Medallion Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by inlanikai
A few observations from this AAdvantage memeber from Day One and EXP for many years. Take fit or what it's worth:

* This is a complete betrayal to those of us who have been loyal to AA, through all the good times and bad, because of the rewards (perks, considerations, unwirtten benies, etc) that loyalty brings in the form of EXP.

* There is nothing that I read, maybe I missed it, that says you can't spend the $10K for someone else's tickets. A CEO buys the card using his AAdvantage number, gets EXP benies, and sends 10 people to a trade show twice over the next 6 months and he has EXP.

* I go out of my way to go to SIN 3x a year by taking AA through NRT (~$6400 in J) and 3x to HNL through ORD on AA from NYC. These alone give me my EQPs towards EXP. The only reason I do it is to work towards EXP. I can take the n/s on SQ to SIN from EWR and the n/s on CO from EWR to HNL and save a lot of time, hassle and aggrevation. But I don't because I am loyal to AA for the EXP benefits. These tix easily cost over $20K a year. So, instead, I can pay $10K use it for a few trips during half the year and spend the other +$10K on CO and SQ and UA and work towards some elite level there.

* Let there be no doubt, if this plan works they will do it again and again. Maybe make it $15K over 12 months. Whatever. They will fine tune it to death until they figure out how to maximize the revenue and limit the liability. But I'm certain that the dilution of loyalty by their best customers will never figure into the equation.

* Just like prepaid phone cards, AA knows that some of the $ amount will go unused and expire worthless. Yeah, they'll give you back $350 less $35 but statistics are on their side and they are going to be pocketing cash. Kudos to the bean counter at AA who thought this one up. It will only make the program more acceptable to AA management to reincarnate it in some other form.

* EXPs, and those who aspire to be EXPs, should screem like H*** to their nearest AAngel on the phone. Let them hear loud and clear that this stinks.

Welcome to American Airlines where everything, even loyalty, is available for a pre-paid price.
I don't disagree with what you say but from AA's standpoint, this is a money maker. If they mint some new EXP's, so what. The cost to them is minimal and if these travelers bring higher revenue, so much the better for AA. The EXP program has already been diluted- I don't have numbers but certainly segment qualifiers and those paying far less than this prepaid card have added to the ranks. The question I have is that all of the Airpass customers must be screaming. I know I spend significantly more than this card so I guess there are many, many Airpass customers who are going to be converting.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA53
The question I have is that all of the Airpass customers must be screaming. I know I spend significantly more than this card so I guess there are many, many Airpass customers who are going to be converting.
Why would they be screaming and why would they be converting?

AAirpass was designed to provide some measure of certainty to airfare by buying blocks of mileage at fixed rates in advance.

This product provides no such certainty - except that AA gets $2500, $5000 or $10000 all up front and the $$$ expire no later than 5/31/07.

Are there significant numbers of AAirpass customers who spend significantly more than $10k/year and who AREN'T EXP? I'm skeptical that number is large.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
You think they would give the eVIPs to somebody who was just buying the card and not an existing EXP who was willing to give them 10k in cash to play with?
Why would an existing EXP be "willing to give them 10K in cash to play with"?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AA53
..I don't have numbers..
Why let that stop ya'
Old Jul 27, 2006, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
Why would an existing EXP be "willing to give them 10K in cash to play with"?

If they give you 8 additional eVIPS:

The cost to fly JFK-LAX P RT is about 4.5k
The cost to fly JFK-LAX C RT is about 2k so it costs about 2.5k more to fly P over C

Using the eVIPs on this route I would save 10k (4.5k-2k x 4). The difference JFK-NRT or JFK-LHR is probably even greater.

I always use my eVIPs so could always use more - and the only loss for me would be paying the 10k before I needed to since I was going to spend it anyway.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

2 in a row..

Something that intrigues me; this thing-- which is a rough copy of a UA scheme comes less than 24 hours after trAAvelperks-- a rough copy of a UA scheme. AA usually doesn't introduce new stuff often at all.

The "density" of these new offers has me wonderin'..

I wonder:
a) if there's someone new "driving" at the AA dept that does these things, and,
b) what's coming next..
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by EXPflyer1
Better take a second look at that offer. It is very clear that there's no way to use the card to buy anything for anyone else. Honestly, It was the first thing I thought of as I do a lot of Asia business travel with family.

Re-read the offer and I think you'll feel better.
You're right, it can only be used for the cardholder. But I still don't feel better.

brp I have no problem with AA, or any company at all, doing what they have to do to make money. But I think they are being shortsighted and by diluting the value of EXP it *may* very well cost them money on a net basis in the long run as it becomes easier to buy the perks of loyalty than earn them. What's the cost to a business when you start to lose some of your best customers because you diminished the reasons for them to stick with you?
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by JonNYC
b) what's coming next..
Don't even think it.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:10 pm
Suspended

I know it's not the reason (at least I think not) but it certainly took the attention from Arpey's increase - would be interesting to hear from DFW contingent if either TravelPerks or the Pre-Paid cards made the newspapers there. I will say two corporate techniques to cover bad news/news they don't want picked at is either announce it on a Friday so it can die over the weekend before the WSJ picks up on it Monday - or sandwich it with good news and other types of announcements. It would seem Arpey's raise was sandwiched between the biz class intro, earnings report and these fast fire product announcements. Conspiracy theorists can ponder that.
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:13 pm

Programs: BA GLD for LIfe, AA PLT 2 MM miler, B6 Mosaic, Star GLD; HH Diamond; Marriott PLT, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FWAAA
If you travel internationally on coach fares, I'd say "yes" if you value the eight eVIPs at $500 each (as I do, since they're worth $250 + 25k miles each). So $4,000 worth of international upgrades is definitely > $250 pre-tax. Your mileage could not possibly vary on this one.
These are space-available upgrades, of course. Do you get the upgrades when you want them? Flights are often pretty full these days.

Most of my flights to Europe and all to Asia and Australia and South America are business class (some to Asia are first class) except on family vacations. If I'm on a marketing trip, which is rare, I'll may fly AA coach in the first row of coach or BA World Traveler Plus (and have been upgraded on BA about 50% of the time without any kind of voucher).
Old Jul 27, 2006, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shawbridge
These are space-available upgrades, of course. Do you get the upgrades when you want them? Flights are often pretty full these days.

Most of my flights to Europe and all to Asia and Australia and South America are business class (some to Asia are first class) except on family vacations. If I'm on a marketing trip, which is rare, I'll may fly AA coach in the first row of coach or BA World Traveler Plus (and have been upgraded on BA about 50% of the time without any kind of voucher).
The eVIPs are confirmed based on availability - I have had them confirmed anywhere from making a booking a month in advance to clearing at the airport...I can say the only time I didn't get cleared on an eVIP was flying LHR-JFK the Friday before Thanksgiving. DL gives out similar type certificates and at least two-thirds go in the garbage because they never clear and they won't clear them for intl at the airport. I give AA lots of credit for making the eVIPS a useable benefit of EXP and million mile milestones.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.