Wiki Posts
Search

Advice using AA miles for PEK

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2006, 2:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; AA PLAT
Advice using AA miles for PEK

I'd like to plan a trip from SFO/LAX to Beijing using AA miles in Business class over Thanksgiving. Any thoughts about what partner would be most likely to have availability? Threads I've read indicate CX has little to no availability. Does JL have better chances?

I've had luck with UA partners getting seats on SQ/OZ when UA has no availability.

Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 3:06 pm

i like the route sfo-nrt-pek-nrt-sfo by jal if no plan to stopover in hongkong. also JL should have better availablity if you want to plan ahead.

Originally Posted by douglysf
I'd like to plan a trip from SFO/LAX to Beijing using AA miles in Business class over Thanksgiving. Any thoughts about what partner would be most likely to have availability? Threads I've read indicate CX has little to no availability. Does JL have better chances?

I've had luck with UA partners getting seats on SQ/OZ when UA has no availability.

Thank you.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Something you also can do is call AA and ask them - they are most helpful and you will deal with them anyway so limit the effort and let them earn the $15. Thanksgiving is a bit on the popular side (even if the month is wrong) I have heard so waiting for advice here won't be an advantage and ultimately you have to get on the horn and ask them to find something.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 7:47 pm

Programs: hardly any
I myself also had good luck in booking on Japan Airlines Seasons Class (business class) to Beijing using my AA miles earlier this year. My routing was more difficult, but I did luck out nicely: JFK-NRT-BJS and return. As the other poster has mentioned, you must get on the horn soonest because this award ticket can be had.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 12:49 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
Might want to be careful on these routing rules ... I recall something about not being permitted to route through Asia 2 (HK) on the way to Asia 1 (China) which will rule out passing through HK anyway (unless you're willing to pay the extra miles for that stop). As it is right now, JAL is showing no C seats for that period over the water, and the AA flight from LAX will cause you to miss the last flight out of NRT (the connection problem discussed in other threads here). You are likely to have to transit at NRT in order to do this itinerary.

Best of luck putting this together.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K; AA PLAT
thanks for the advice.
I've reserved on AA/JL via NRT, but due to connection requirements we'll have to overnight in Tokyo.
I'd like to monitor JL award availability. I'll post in the JL forum to see if anyone knows how to get this.
Thanks!

Last edited by douglysf; Sep 15, 2006 at 5:41 pm
Old Sep 15, 2006, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Silver
I looked up award availability using my JMB account number (it is not necessary to have any activity on it). It is extremely rare that JL will not allow an AA customer access to a seat they show to their customers.
Old Sep 16, 2006, 2:56 am
In memoriam

We flew last month Seasons Class on JAL LAX NRT Beijing. No overnight layover, just a quick change at NRT. And August is the busiest month, hardest to get award tickets. Got the AA award tickets on just a few days advance reservation.

JAL has many flights daily to Beijing from NRT. You should be able to get a reasonable copnnection. Or, how about Osaka?

By the way, tried the Japanese meal with grilled eel. A famous, and delicious, specialty. They say they actually grill it on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.