USAToday = 1,500 miles

Old May 19, 2006, 9:29 am

Programs: AA PLT (2MM+); Steerage in most other airline programs; SPG GLD; heckuva guy
Originally Posted by pkerr
Fourth renewal? I don't want to renew at all... hmmmm.... I'll still get the 1,500 right?
I signed up more than once, by giving gift subscriptions.

Considering that these T&C's are new, and were not part of the offer which I accepted when I signed up, I believe that USAToday is contractually bound by the terms of the offer which were effective when I accepted their offer. There was no requirement that my subscription be renewed, there was no limitation on how many times I signed up under the offer, there was no limit to one per AA number, etc. (In fact, the website specifically encouraged giving gift subscriptions with the SAME 1,500 mile offer, by clicking a "Give a Gift Subscription" link on the final confirm page which took you to the original offer page. A fact which I specifically inquired about and confirmed with USAToday customer service.)

I'm also of the view that because they now specifically added the limitations in the T&C on the offer page, they are essentially acknowledging that the earlier offer permitted multiple credits of 1500 miles with no limitation on the number of signups.

Goph
Old May 19, 2006, 10:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by gopherblue

Considering that these T&C's are new, and were not part of the offer which I accepted when I signed up, I believe that USAToday is contractually bound by the terms of the offer which were effective when I accepted their offer. There was no requirement that my subscription be renewed, there was no limitation on how many times I signed up under the offer, there was no limit to one per AA number, etc. (In fact, the website specifically encouraged giving gift subscriptions with the SAME 1,500 mile offer, by clicking a "Give a Gift Subscription" link on the final confirm page which took you to the original offer page. A fact which I specifically inquired about and confirmed with USAToday customer service.)

I'm also of the view that because they now specifically added the limitations in the T&C on the offer page, they are essentially acknowledging that the earlier offer permitted multiple credits of 1500 miles with no limitation on the number of signups.

Goph
In addition to that, my confirmation e-mail says:

You have earned 1,500 AAdvantage Miles and they will be added to your account within 6-8 weeks. Plus, you will earn an additional 100 miles every 4 weeks when your subscription automatically renews on EZ-PAY."

If there was a renewal requirement of 4 times (4 months) how could they post my 1,500 miles in 6-8 weeks? And besides, they said I had already earned them.
Old May 19, 2006, 11:02 am

Yes, it seems that the T&C have been changed to limit the number of bonuses. This is an acknowledgement that multiple bonuses could be earned before.

This will certainly go down in FT history! I'm so surprised that it didn't generate a bit more excitement, although I'm sure many people purchased multiple subscriptions.

I'm kicking myself for not buying 500 subscriptions! Let's see, that would be:

500 * 1500 miles = 750K
500 * $12.95 = $6475 (not including cc miles)

$0.0086 CPM
Old May 19, 2006, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
In addition to that, my confirmation e-mail says:
[
Likewise, my confirmation email says the same, and it appears to be my contract with USA Today.

I am looking forward to the introductory offer and receiving the paper. Based on that, I may decide to renew, or not. The miles offer did it for me, but would have no bearing on if I extended.

Has anyone gotten a confirmation email since the T&C's were revised?
Old May 19, 2006, 4:34 pm

Looks like its time to send out a SOS for Marathon Man,This is going to get ugly.
Old May 19, 2006, 6:32 pm

it was too good to be true
Old May 19, 2006, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Getiton
send out a SOS for Marathon Man
Please, anything but that! Think of the bandwidth!
Old May 19, 2006, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
just signed up. no tax in MA. i got this email right afer:

Thank you for subscribing to USA TODAY. Your subscription will begin
on 05/25/2006.

You have selected to receive 04 weeks of USA TODAY for $12.95.
The total amount billed to your credit card, including taxes of $0.00
was $12.95.
The credit card ended with the following 4 digits: xxxx.

You have earned 1,500 AAdvantage Miles and they will be added to your
account within 6-8 weeks. Plus, you will earn an additional 100 miles
every 4 weeks when your subscription automatically renews on EZ-PAY.

thanks OP ^
Old May 19, 2006, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by mkt
hmmm... how reliable is their cable service? I'm pretty happy with RR at home, but if they're as good, I might take it.
Earthlink? That's DSL. Since you have cable modem, trust me it's not worth the miles. The speed difference can't compare, it'll feel like by the time you finish downloading a new thread on flyertalk a farealert had already been sent out
Old Jun 2, 2006, 2:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP (3.3MM), AAirpass, SQ-PPS Solitaire, DL-PM (.777MM), SPG-Plat, HH-D
i signed up for this and started getting the paper at my door last week... all of sudden saturday it stopped and haven't seen any since then. Anyone had a similar problem?
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by psyflyer
i signed up for this and started getting the paper at my door last week... all of sudden saturday it stopped and haven't seen any since then. Anyone had a similar problem?
It doesn't come on Saturday.

Mine came by mail, but only about 50 percent of the time the first week.
It's not like the missing paper showed up in the next day's mail, it didn't show up. Since last Friday, I haven't received a paper.

Last edited by mvoight; Jun 3, 2006 at 1:29 am
Old Jun 2, 2006, 9:50 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by mvoight
It doesn't come on Saturday.
It did on Saturday, Janunary 19, 1991.
Old Jun 5, 2006, 7:55 pm

Problems with my USAToday promotion

Originally Posted by gopherblue

Goph
On May 14th, I ordered a subscription for myself and 8 additional gift subscriptions. I carefully read the USAToday web site looking for terms and conditions but did not find anything.... it seemed like a pretty good offer and when I didn't find the "attached strings" I went ahead and ordered. With each online order, I very carefully insured that I did NOT select the EZ-PAY option. I then received the customary "welcome e-mails" which said I had earned the miles/points and had delivery instructions, etc...

Let me get to my point with this post.... today, I received a letter from USAToday thanking me for signing up for the EZ-PAY plan. I called the 800 number to clear it up and the customer service agent was very confused. She was reading the current terms and conditions.... she said that it seemed that the recipient of each (gift) subscription would receive the miles and that if she cancelled the automatic renewal, I may lose my miles.

We talked for about 45 minutes on this and she was very professional and empathetic on the matter. She just didn't have the information on the original offer. She has referred my orders to the company retention manager in McLean, Virginia.

As you can imagine, I'm not very happy but I feel that it'll get straightened out. I have to call this manager tomorrow and discuss it further. The customer service agent is sending an email to the manager with details of our discussion this evening.

So beware of your subscriptions.... check carefully to make sure they haven't automatically enrolled you in the EZ-PAY plan and that you get the miles that they promised for your purchase. If you have a problem with your order, you can call the customer retention manager, since she supposedly makes the decisions and has the authority to correct any issues.... the supervisor at the call center did not have authority to make any changes to what is set up in their program.

Point of Contact:

Linda Ford
Retention Manager, USA Today
(800) 872-8098, extension #741

Regards,

Larry
Old Jun 6, 2006, 2:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Well, the miles posted today (June 5).
The order was on May 12.
So, great on the miles end.

On the customer service end, USA Today seems to suck so far.
I will try calling them.

Delivery started on May 17. I got 3 papers in the first 6 delivery days, and nothing since. No responses to email.
Old Jun 6, 2006, 5:32 am

Originally Posted by psyflyer
I had the USA Today 1,500 enrollment bonus in my AAdv account today. Good job.

My subscription started Monday May 22. I got about three of the papers last week. I got a paper yesterday, but not today.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.