Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Does Platinum Have Priority for Waitlist for FF International Awards

Old May 3, 2006, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

I am Platinum and am trying to buy a coach ticket to London at the end of September and use FF miles and $250 to upgrade to business. Right now there is no availability from any gateway city to London to do this. I was told that I could buy coach and be put on a wait list for the upgrade. As Platinum, would I be "priority waitlisted" or is it just a matter of "first come first serve"?
Old May 3, 2006, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP-1MM, SPG Gld, HH Silver, Skymiles, Marriott Silver, Hyatt GP Plat , CO Peon, Hertz 5 Star
You would have priority over any waitlisted AA Gold's and any AA Plats that you are waitlisted ahead of. However EXPs will have priority over you no matter when they get waitlisted.
Old May 3, 2006, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3.1 Million AA Miles, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold
Angry

Originally Posted by glsebs
I am Platinum and am trying to buy a coach ticket to London at the end of September and use FF miles and $250 to upgrade to business. Right now there is no availability from any gateway city to London to do this. I was told that I could buy coach and be put on a wait list for the upgrade. As Platinum, would I be "priority waitlisted" or is it just a matter of "first come first serve"?
Don't forget the $250 fee is gone, even if you fail to get the upgrade. No refund if you fail to be upgraded.

Its a price of admission to the Lottery of getting an international upgrade.

Sorry, but that is the AA FF rules.
Old May 3, 2006, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

When I spoke to Platinum customer service, the rep told me that they take a credit card number to charge the $250 if the upgrade goes through. I inferred there was no charge if there was no upgrade available.
Old May 3, 2006, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Brandy
Don't forget the $250 fee is gone, even if you fail to get the upgrade. No refund if you fail to be upgraded.

I don't believe that's true. From AA.com:

Q: If I pay the co-pay will I have a better chance of confirming the upgrade? Are you making more upgrade seats available?
A: The co-pay is not collected unless the upgrade is confirmed, at which time miles are deducted from your account. Our Revenue Management analysts constantly monitor our seating inventories to ensure that the maximum possible number of seats are available for upgrade, given our primary goal of selling our Premium services at full Business, First and Premium Class fares. The addition of a co-pay does not alter this procedure.
Old May 3, 2006, 5:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't believe that's true. From AA.com:

Q: If I pay the co-pay will I have a better chance of confirming the upgrade? Are you making more upgrade seats available?
A: The co-pay is not collected unless the upgrade is confirmed, at which time miles are deducted from your account. Our Revenue Management analysts constantly monitor our seating inventories to ensure that the maximum possible number of seats are available for upgrade, given our primary goal of selling our Premium services at full Business, First and Premium Class fares. The addition of a co-pay does not alter this procedure.
Stop injecting facts into a good anti-AA rant

Cheers.
Old May 3, 2006, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Bronze
lol! AA would *wish* that were true...
Old May 3, 2006, 6:22 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Er, are we talking about the same AA here?

That's not how it works.

"Trust me, I know."
American AAdvantage Flyertalkers

Old May 3, 2006, 6:28 pm

Do you have dates? Are you flexible in those dates? Are you particular about what airport?

The wait list will depend on the seats sold that day (weekends and Fridays are worse,) the number of elites on that route and flight (some flights are laden with precious metal toting AAdvantage members,) and you rposition on the list. As others have mentioned, you will be right behind EXPs who requested on any date, and any Plats who requested before you, but ahead of Golds, and any Plats who requested after you.

Connecting to the Continent, I sometimes opt for MAN (another secondary AA UK destination woudl do) - which aslo puts me in a better Business Class than a 777 has, as it is a 767-323ER.

Originally Posted by glsebs
Old May 3, 2006, 6:29 pm
Suspended

Did'ya get that from the same sources as this?
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549790
Old May 3, 2006, 6:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JDiver
"Trust me, I know."
Another newbie post?
Old May 3, 2006, 6:52 pm

Depending on your reference...

Actually, the "winkie" and phony TM refer to that phrase as one that has been used A LOT around here lately. But Brandy isn't so much a newbie as maybe someone who enjoys fanning the sparks, IMO, and has been known to be 'way off in the accuracy department.

Originally Posted by dayone
Another newbie post?
Old May 3, 2006, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I think we may have to wait a while for the apology.
Old May 3, 2006, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's particularly grating about Brandy's post is that it is not just unconfirmed hogwash rumors, but clearly incorrect, false information, as described in Post #5. FWIW, that info comes from this page
Old May 4, 2006, 6:45 am

FYI-- The thread title is a little misleading since it implies a waitlist exists for international awards. There isn't one. You are really on a paid waitlist like everyone else, award or not.

I'm on a business award to Europe and stuck in coach on 1 transatlantic segment due to availability. Not allowed to be waitlisted for this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.