Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Did I break some rule by putting prescription drugs in checked bag?

Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold

3 weeks ago I flew DFW-LGW. I always carry my own prescription pills on board with me, but this time I put a large bottle of presciption pills in my luggage. The pills belonged to my mother-in-law who forgot them on a visit over December, and I had promised to return them.

When I arrived in London, I found that my bag had been opened and the pill bottle had been emptied, and the empty bottle replaced in the bag. Nothing else was missing from the bag.

Did I break a rule by putting the drugs in the bag? If so, who would have emptied the bottle, and why no note to let me know what had been done?

If not, the pills were stolen. If they were stolen, do I have a case to make an claim from AA? The pills were worth around $300 apparantly.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: Delta GM, US Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Diamond
I'd have to say they were stolen. If customs were to have confiscated them it would have been in your presence.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1P emeritus; Hhonors Silver; Marriott Rewards Silver
Originally Posted by bmegac
3 weeks ago I flew DFW-LGW. I always carry my own prescription pills on board with me, but this time I put a large bottle of presciption pills in my luggage. The pills belonged to my mother-in-law who forgot them on a visit over December, and I had promised to return them.

When I arrived in London, I found that my bag had been opened and the pill bottle had been emptied, and the empty bottle replaced in the bag. Nothing else was missing from the bag.

Did I break a rule by putting the drugs in the bag? If so, who would have emptied the bottle, and why no note to let me know what had been done?

If not, the pills were stolen. If they were stolen, do I have a case to make an claim from AA? The pills were worth around $300 apparantly.
Stolen. Never put anything of value in a checked bag.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:44 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3 weeks ago I flew DFW-LGW. [..] If they were stolen, do I have a case to make an claim from AA?
You did have a case, but you had to file your claim with AA (in writing) within 7 days of arrival...
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
AA.com lists things that they have no liability for if put into checked bags. Prescription drugs are on the list for domestic flights. The list is here. The carrier might be liable for stolen prescription drugs on international flights.

Of course, the biggest reason not to put prescription drugs into checked bags is that bags sometimes get lost, and prescription drugs are sometimes difficult to replace. Your health can suffer if you don't take the drugs as prescribed.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
You did not break any rules I can see - if they were prescription drugs etc. Diagnosis: pilfered / stolen. For recreational use and resale, or repackaging and resale if they are expensive therapuetics.

Even others' drugs I would not put in checked baggage. Anything valuable should be carried aboard. With prescription evidence, there is usually no problem - even the Customs folks will generally let amounts of prescribed drugs by that are technically beyond what you are allowed into the US for your personal use (within limits!)
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by dcadude
Stolen. Never put anything of value in a checked bag.
If only everybody realized that before their bags hit the check-in. My carry-on is crammed to the brim with anything of value.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You broke the rules, but not the type that would cause you to get into legal trouble; you broke the first rule of checked baggage, and that is this:

Never (and I mean NEVER) place anything in a checked suitcase in the USA that you care about. Never check valuables of any kind.

Sorry you had to learn that lesson by personal experience.

Someone stole your pills, either a TSA thug or an airline thug.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Or an airport or contract thug. Entirely too many of the variety are attracted to airports for the easy pickin's. You are absolutely right, er, correct might be more accurate...

Originally Posted by FWAAA
...Someone stole your pills, either a TSA thug or an airline thug.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:11 am

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
I say stolen. I'd be curious to know what type of medication it was?

It is AA's (very wise) recommendation that you carry medications onboard with you, but there is no "rule" about it that I am aware of.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond,Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by flyastrojets
I say stolen. I'd be curious to know what type of medication it was?

It is AA's (very wise) recommendation that you carry medications onboard with you, but there is no "rule" about it that I am aware of.
The pills were Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen, aka Vicodin.

In 12 years of travel thru DFW I have never had anything stolen from checked baggage, but I do take your (and other's) points about no valuables in checked baggage. As I mentioned earlier, I do put my pills, etc in my carry-on.

The only reason I put these pills in the checked bag was a concern that there might be some rule about carrying a large bottle of drugs with someone else's name on the bottle, and I thought there would be fewer problems if they were in checked luggage.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:24 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
I never even leave my bag unlocked for them. just asks for trouble.
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:27 am

Some baggage handler is feeling no pain!
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:28 am

Programs: AA (what is EXP?), UA 1P, IC free mini bar club, SPG GLD

(

.... with those kinds of meds, what do you expect
Old Apr 25, 2006, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In light of this, you may very well have broken some rules. The thief may have done you a favor, depending on the UK rules on importation of controlled substances.

MIL should have written off the pills and replaced them when she got home.

Transporting a large container full of Vicodin? For which you have no lawful prescription?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.