Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Did I break some rule by putting prescription drugs in checked bag?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did I break some rule by putting prescription drugs in checked bag?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2006, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I'll bet the difference is that they have a prescription with their name on it along with the meds. And they weren't travelling to some of the most uptight countries with drug importation, where the death penalty may be used to resolve the issue.

In the US Customs inspectors will check to see whose prescriptions they are, the nature of the medications and usualy allow people to carry thorugh several months' worth. I do know lots of folks who buy meds in Mexico or Canada... but narcotics and controlled substances, that can be a horse of a different colour (and in fact those can be difficult to get in Mexico without a prescription, even though you can buy any number of other therapeutics with none.)

Originally Posted by bodega124
Well said and good catch. It's a LOT worse to try to take drugs illegally through a customs controlled border than to just have them in your pocket. That said, at my age I have quite a few friends that do just that, and buy prescriptions including controlled substances overseas and bring them back (remind me never to get cancer, my the grace of g-d) and though a few have stories of confiscation and some nasty questions being asked it doesn't seem that anyone is really out to file real charges unless they get a feeling that it goes beyond personal use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.