Getting expired AA miles back?

Old Jun 21, 2005, 6:41 am

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by ewl
Boy am I an idiot. Somehow, on all my AAdvantage e-mails, I didn't notice that I hadn't had any activity since 2002 (which actually I find a little hard to believe, but...). And so, on 5/15, all of my 39,000 miles disappeared.

But I'm so mad at myself. Obviously not visiting this website often enough!
...or flown on AA often enough.

I have to wonder about the "frequent" part of a FFP when you haven't had activity for 3 years. Sorry you lost the points but it seems you don't fly on AA or do much with them anyway.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 8:56 am
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
I just found out that you can reactiviate miles for a fee. The miles must have expired after 12/31/2002. The cost is $50 per 5,000 miles plus a $30 per transaction fee. No limit on the number of miles. Call AAdvantage Customer Service to do this.
Here's a link.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
If you take up AA's offer, I hope one uses their miles for more than the cost of reinstating them. $250+30 for 25K reinstate. The price you pay for lax attention to your miles.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
It amazes me that the airlines keep finding new ways to make money, now they resell us our old miles . what about a "mileage protector program": if you get sick or can't use your miles for some other reason, they stay active - as long as you pay, say 1 cent per mile...
Old Jun 27, 2005, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by dukieee
It amazes me that the airlines keep finding new ways to make money, now they resell us our old miles . what about a "mileage protector program": if you get sick or can't use your miles for some other reason, they stay active - as long as you pay, say 1 cent per mile...
Well this is what AA is doing. They are allowing people who for one reason or another couldn't use their miles to get back miles they lost (no questions asked, no doctors certificates), and the cost based on 25,000 miles is just about 1 cent a mile (actually 1.12 cents), just as you suggested.

So instead of complaining, why don't you say it's a "win" for both sides ?
Old Jun 27, 2005, 5:06 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dukieee
Given how easy it is to keep miles alive with an airline, without even flying, I find it hard to fault them on this one. lord knows there are enough other places to criticize AA for fees.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 2005, 6:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
ALL it takes is ONE qualifying activity every three years! Register your credit cards with iDine (properly, "The AAdvantage Dining Program by Rewards Network,") and you're likely to get something even if you never check to see if you are eating at an iDine restaurant, certainly once in 2 - 3 years. Book a hotel room or rent a car with AA as the "partner," there are so many ways...
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:04 am

Duplicate Post - Deleted

Last edited by WHY2K; Jun 28, 2005 at 7:06 am Reason: Duplicate Deleted
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:21 am
NoY

Programs: SQ, EY, QR, BA, ITA, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott
Originally Posted by kuharicm
I let 7,741 AA miles expire over in the last year. Anyone know of any way that's worth it to get them back?

Thanks,
-Matt
I called the AAdvantage service centre and they credited them back - in full - maybe because they'd expired only a month or two before, I really don't know, it was 11,000 miles. Had them convert them to a HHonors voucher for a free stay ^ as I had/have no plans to fly AA aagain. Excellent customer service.
Old Jun 28, 2005, 7:29 am

Programs: AA LTGLD, DL PLT, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Well this is what AA is doing. They are allowing people who for one reason or another couldn't use their miles to get back miles they lost (no questions asked, no doctors certificates), and the cost based on 25,000 miles is just about 1 cent a mile (actually 1.12 cents), just as you suggested.

So instead of complaining, why don't you say it's a "win" for both sides ?
Oh, don't get me wrong. I am seriously amazed (and only partly joking). Studying businesses and their ways to survive and thrive is my daily bread and so it is interesting to observe what's going on in this industry. Some of their ideas (or fees) I would have never come up with

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.