Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Old Jul 28, 2005, 11:15 pm

If you have a QF FF number (easy to get if you don't), you can check availability for your preferred flights on QF's online award booking engine. Within the 330 day window, availability should be similar to what AA would offer. Find some dates where F is available on CX and not on BA/QF and it should be no problem for the AAgent to book that (not that there is any rule that I'm aware of that would force the more direct itinerary). As for not taking the SYD-PPT, it's only available twice weekly, whereas (IIRC) AKL-PPT should be available three times weekly. One thing they probably won't let you do is spend more than 24 hrs in Tahiti waiting for a connection to/from IPC. They'll insist on finding a connection within 24 hrs as this type of ticket doesn't allow for a stopover. At least that's what happened when I booked our Oz-IPC... perhaps you'll find an AAgent who's willing to bend the rules, if that's what you're after.

I'm not sure why you'd prefer to route through AKL, though. The nonstop SYD-PPT sounds great.
Old Jul 29, 2005, 2:04 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Originally Posted by honu
If you have a QF FF number (easy to get if you don't), you can check availability for your preferred flights on QF's online award booking engine. Within the 330 day window, availability should be similar to what AA would offer. Find some dates where F is available on CX and not on BA/QF and it should be no problem for the AAgent to book that (not that there is any rule that I'm aware of that would force the more direct itinerary). As for not taking the SYD-PPT, it's only available twice weekly, whereas (IIRC) AKL-PPT should be available three times weekly. One thing they probably won't let you do is spend more than 24 hrs in Tahiti waiting for a connection to/from IPC. They'll insist on finding a connection within 24 hrs as this type of ticket doesn't allow for a stopover. At least that's what happened when I booked our Oz-IPC... perhaps you'll find an AAgent who's willing to bend the rules, if that's what you're after.

I'm not sure why you'd prefer to route through AKL, though. The nonstop SYD-PPT sounds great.
I checked with QF/CX/BA FF numbers and built up a decent itinerary. Didn't find a single seat on CX to SYD/MEL for about THREE WEEKS in F, in March 2006 that is.

Papeete is the problem as you said... I was under the impression that one stopover is allowed, and PPT is on the only possible routing to IPC so I don't quite understand. I have no way to fit a <24h connection in PPT within my dates. Dropped AKL as well, 2 weekly SYD/IPC flights makes this difficult enough!

So I got this on hold:

CX F BKK-SIN
BA F SIN-SYD
TN Y SYD-PPT
LA C PPT-IPC
LA C IPC-PPT
TN C PPT-SYD
BA F SYD-SIN
CX C SIN-BKK

No F available on the TN flights... and only Y on SYD-PPT. But it still looks like a decent deal if I can somehow get that approved by AA.
Old Jul 30, 2005, 4:09 am

I booked our awards as early as possible (nearly 330 days ahead), so we were able to find availability in C (or Z, depending on the airline) for the whole itinerary. I've heard elsewhere that TN tends to have good availability for premium cabins. Perhaps you'll get lucky if you can extend your hold... how long of a connection do you have in PPT?
Old Jul 30, 2005, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by honu
I booked our awards as early as possible (nearly 330 days ahead), so we were able to find availability in C (or Z, depending on the airline) for the whole itinerary. I've heard elsewhere that TN tends to have good availability for premium cabins. Perhaps you'll get lucky if you can extend your hold... how long of a connection do you have in PPT?
PPT connection is now until the first SYD flight after LAN's Wednesday arrival from IPC. Something just a bit over 24 hours.

I actually found a better itinerary for the other possible week, hopefully that will satisfy the rules as well. LA back from IPC on Wednesday, then TN to AKL Thursday morning. However this one has lengthy layovers (but <24h) at AKL and SYD as well. This itin would have me in CX F BKK-HKG-MEL, and TN in C (I) both ways. Returning in BA F to BKK. I haven't found a single TN F award seat (AA told me A class). Will report how this goes hopefully on Tuesday.

Last edited by LH747FTL; Jul 30, 2005 at 9:31 am
Old Jul 30, 2005, 10:27 pm

I hope you get the best itin. for your purposes. FYI, NZ's departure tax (NZD 25), payable in cash or credit card at the airport when you leave, is not required if you stop < 24 hrs. You need to keep your BP from the previous flight to get the exemption.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 10:37 am
pdb

Extra Stopover permitted to EXPs on Domestic all-AA AAwards?

Originally Posted by JonNYC
...Within North America:
One stopover is allowed in addition to the final destination, at the natural connecting point. This would be the connection which is shown in the most direct routing as determined by the schedules of the carriers involved.
Co-terminals are considered the same point...
I've never used a domestic AAward and don't intend to; however, today, whenI booked a NA-SA award the EXP agent told me that with regard to domestic all-AA AAwards, EXPs were permitted two (2) stopovers--one outbound, one inbound. Since many agents are not experts on the AAward stopover rules, I'm not sure whether this is accurate, but if it is, then it might be useful for any EXPs so affected.
Old Aug 1, 2005, 6:43 pm

Never mind - Itinerary worked fine...

Last edited by 777lover; Aug 2, 2005 at 6:24 am
Old Aug 3, 2005, 4:10 am

I now have BKK-IPC on hold with no stopovers and TN F seats both ways. BUT, AA is not accepting my 20h AKL layover, never mind that there is no way to connect to BKK on the same day. They rebooked me on a 25min transfer at SYD which is impossible.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:39 am
Suspended

My understanding is that the connecting rule is as follows:

"Passenger has 6 hours to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within 6 hours, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. Any connection of more than 24 hours is always considered a stopover."

If I were you, I would argue to AA that the 25 minute connection is not legal; therefore, the connection is not a "scheduled flight" for purposes of the above 6/24 hour rule.

Are you sure AA is not saying that your desired itinerary violates the "must use the most direct routing" rule?
Old Aug 3, 2005, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Austinrunner
My understanding is that the connecting rule is as follows:

"Passenger has 6 hours to connect. If there are no scheduled flights within 6 hours, regardless of availability, the passenger must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. Any connection of more than 24 hours is always considered a stopover."

If I were you, I would argue to AA that the 25 minute connection is not legal; therefore, the connection is not a "scheduled flight" for purposes of the above 6/24 hour rule.

Are you sure AA is not saying that your desired itinerary violates the "must use the most direct routing" rule?
She said specifically that the stop is too long. It was AKL-SYD-BKK, can't find anything more direct. Canned the 25min connection after I called back as soon as I saw the itinerary online.

I wonder which rule is more strict - theoretically they could route me on some Y connecting flights with 8hr layovers or so. Neither most direct routing nor less than 6 hours.

I'm going back to the office today - see how this unfolds.
Old Aug 3, 2005, 9:57 pm

I'm sorry guys, I just read every post in this thread twice and just still don't understand. Help me with just one simple question if you would, can I fly AUS-LAX(stopover)-JFK(destination)-AUS for 40k in F/J? I know that you could do that under the old rules, I think I take it that you still can, just want to confirm. THANK YOU!
Old Aug 4, 2005, 6:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dspringer28
I'm sorry guys, I just read every post in this thread twice and just still don't understand. Help me with just one simple question if you would, can I fly AUS-LAX(stopover)-JFK(destination)-AUS for 40k in F/J? I know that you could do that under the old rules, I think I take it that you still can, just want to confirm. THANK YOU!
In coach, you can do it for 25k. The award rules being talked about initially are the ones applicable to the international AAdvantage Partner Awards. As you will be doing an all-domestic AA award, those rules don't impact you.

In business/first, the awards were raised to 45k and you can do it for that.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 8:57 am
Suspended

Post #12 in this thread lists the rules for all-AA awards.
Old Aug 4, 2005, 10:11 am

Got my Easter Island itinerary finally ticketed today.

BKK-SIN CX C
SIN-SYD BA F
SYD-PPT TN F
PPT-IPC LA C
IPC-PPT LA C
PPT-AKL TN F
AKL-SYD QF Y
SYD-HKG CX C
HKG-BKK CX F

Fingers crossed the CX SYD-HKG flight would open up in F later.
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:56 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG/Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I think I understand the rules from this thread, but would someone mind checking my situation below - thanks!

Flying SFO-JFK /stopover/ JFK-SJU-PTP (Guadeloupe- destination) then back PTP-SJU-DFW-SFO

When I work on JFK-SJU-PTP AA insists I have to take the last flight out of JFK (a nasty 10pm dep, 2:30am arrival into SJU). The first connecting flight out of SJU to PTP is at 1pm later that day. Since this is more than 4 hours, I guess they are applying the last flight in/first flight out so that SJU is not seen as a stopover.

My question - is there any way I can legally take an earlier departure out of JFK that same day - my time in SJU would be less than 24 hours but greater than 4 hours. I would not be on the last flight in but would be on the first flight out.

Second option - can I somehow manage an earlier departure out of NY by leaving from LGA or EWR either non-stop or via MIA to SJU?

Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.