Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wikipost instructions: signed in members can minimize or maximize Wikipost by clicking on [-] or [+] box upper right of post, and edit this Wikipost to update.

FOR THE CURRENT, 2014, THREAD ON THIS TOPIC, PLEASE SEE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) 2014 on

updated 20 Jan 2014
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2006, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by pdb
That make sense, depending upon which of the above are connections and which are stopovers.
Yeah, nothing even close to pushing the envelope with these routings.

Stopovers are CNS, AYQ, SYD and HKG.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
That's a nice lookin' wiki! Never saw it before. Feel free to copy and paste any of the info in the OP here to over there-- the easier to find the info the better (although I'm still pretty sure most people won't look )
I've made sense of the information the best I could, and it's now available at http://www.flyertalk.com/wiki/index....an_Airlines%29 . Please all take a look at it.
Old Aug 17, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Platinum, AA EXP
Search is not working. I researched AA and fewmiles site (great info by the way) and I am confused still. I have not looked at all 1000+ posts though. I have a trip solely in the US, booked in O class. Does it receive segments??

I called EXP desk two times and got different answers, but one said I get full miles/points the other said none, both which were incorrect. Neither knew about segments and I don't know if I could trust their answer anyway!

So, does US flights in O booking class receive full segments?

.....Update: I found the answer is that you do receive segments in O!

Last edited by funtotravel; Aug 18, 2006 at 6:23 am
Old Aug 21, 2006, 8:04 am

Confused a little by the rules on the "All-partner Awards".

I want to go OMA-DFW-HNL(NA Gateway stopover)-SYD(Destination)-PPT(Stopover)-LAX-DFW-OMA.

HNL-SYD leg I have reserved on QF
SYD-PPT-LAX would be on TN.

The PPT stopover would be nice , but not necessary. We have thought of doing a OW award, but haven't found any return dates that worked.

Edit: The FT mantra, call and try again, first rep said no, second did it for me. Although interesting observation these flights. When I check for SYD-PPT-LAX Availability was I6. When I check for PPT-LAX for the same leg to do my stopover was I1, so the wife and I are split up for our PPT-LAX flight. Oh well at 8 hrs that's a perfect Ambien flight to get back on sleep schedule.

Edit: A thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I was able to book the following 125K Business All-Partner Award today. Would never have thought a hawaii and australia stopover and open jaw was even an option without FT.

OMA-DFW-HNL(stopover)-SYD(stopover)-CNS(dest) MEL(open jaw)-SYD-PPT-LAX-DFW-OMA.

US legs on AA, HNL-SYD and other australia legs on QF, SYD-PPT-LAX on TN.

Last edited by cme2c; Sep 4, 2006 at 11:16 pm
Old Aug 21, 2006, 2:40 pm

Location: Austin, TX -- AA Life Platinum; QF Life Silver; UA Silver
awards on tam mercosur (PZ)

Are awards possible on TAM Mercosur (airline code PZ). Awards on TAM Brazil (JJ) are allowed, but haven't seen anything about the PZ code.

Looking to do AUS-DFW-EZE/stopover/EZE-ASU/destination/ASU-EZE-DFW-AUS on an award.

edit. yes, this award is allowed.

On a secondary note; I had a biz oneworld award on hold for my wife; AUS-DFW-JFK-LHR-MAA//BOM-DXB-LHR/LGW-DFW-AUS

AA changed this to LHR-ORD-AUS, but downgraded the LHR-ORD segment to econ (biz awards via ORD used to be plentiful and are nonexistent these days ). I'm guessing this is since we already had an open jaw in the award.

Last edited by hauteboy; Sep 1, 2006 at 7:37 am
Old Sep 1, 2006, 7:41 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
On a saver domestic award can you open jaw AND stopover as well?

stopover DFW

Open jaw sfo-dfw-jax/ bos-sfo

Thanks if anyone knows
Old Sep 1, 2006, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by boycruz
On a saver domestic award can you open jaw AND stopover as well?

stopover DFW

Open jaw sfo-dfw-jax/ bos-sfo

Thanks if anyone knows
Yes, this routing is fine and the stopover in DFW is allowed.
Old Sep 4, 2006, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Can we put an example for each of the rules so it makes deciphering the rules a little more easier to understand?

i.e. (if I read this correctly):

Within North America:
One stopover is allowed in addition to the final destination, at the natural connecting point. This would be the connection which is shown in the most direct routing as determined by the schedules of the carriers involved.
Co-terminals are considered the same point.
AA example:
AA 10/7/2006 LAX-DFW (stopover)
AA 10/9/2006 DFW-JFK (award final destination)
AA 10/11/2006 JFK-LAX (returning final destination)

partner Alaska example:
AS 10/7/2006 LAX-SEA (stopover)
AS 10/9/2006 SEA-ANC (connection)
AS 10/9/2006 ANC-FAI (connection)
AS 10/9/2006 FAI-BRW (award final destination)
AS 10/13/2006 BRW-FAI (connection)
AS 10/13/2006 FAI-ANC (connection)
AS 10/13/2006 ANC-SEA (connection)
AS 10/13/2006 SEA-LAX (returning final destination)

Last edited by kebosabi; Sep 4, 2006 at 4:04 pm
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:37 pm

Programs: American, BA, NWA, United, US Air
This is a very helpful thread and while I have most of it down, let me just pose the following award flight.

STL to Athens, Greece with stop-over in FRA - eets not possible?

But open jaw: STL to Athens and return from FRA to STL can be done?
Old Sep 13, 2006, 10:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
YEG BKK HKG HNL YEG - How to make this work?

Great thread. Routing is like doing puzzles, frustrating but fun. Could use some help here with this 70000 miles AAdvantage Partner Award. AAdvantage desk just called to say this routing is not going to work, I don't understand why.

YEG SEA LAX NRT BKK (stay 1 wk) HKG (stay 1 wk) NRT HNL (stay 3 days) LAX SEA YEG

YEG SEA LAX on Alaska, LAX NRT on AA, NRT BKK on JAL, BKK HKG on CX, HKG NRT HNL on JAL, HNL LAX on AA, LAX SEA YEG on Alaska.

AAdvantage desk says this routing is illegal. "You have to fly across the pacific from HKG to HNL but not through Japan. But no carrier does that route nonstop. I have to fly from final destination HKG to the first N.A Gateway (HNL) over the Pacific without stopping. But you can fly from Asia 2 to North America via Asia 1. They confuse me.

Which is my destination and which is my stopover here, BKK or HKG? How can I make this work? Thanks.
Old Sep 14, 2006, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Sunny Day
Great thread. Routing is like doing puzzles, frustrating but fun. Could use some help here with this 70000 miles AAdvantage Partner Award. AAdvantage desk just called to say this routing is not going to work, I don't understand why.

YEG SEA LAX NRT BKK (stay 1 wk) HKG (stay 1 wk) NRT HNL (stay 3 days) LAX SEA YEG

YEG SEA LAX on Alaska, LAX NRT on AA, NRT BKK on JAL, BKK HKG on CX, HKG NRT HNL on JAL, HNL LAX on AA, LAX SEA YEG on Alaska.

AAdvantage desk says this routing is illegal. "You have to fly across the pacific from HKG to HNL but not through Japan. But no carrier does that route nonstop. I have to fly from final destination HKG to the first N.A Gateway (HNL) over the Pacific without stopping. But you can fly from Asia 2 to North America via Asia 1. They confuse me.

Which is my destination and which is my stopover here, BKK or HKG? How can I make this work? Thanks.
I think the problem here is the multiple stopovers. You can stop at the first or last North American gateway, plus the first or last foreign gateway. Your first foreign gateway is NRT. Your last foreign gateway is NRT.

The only way that I can see to do this is to change the order of your stopovers. HKG can be a foreign gateway if you fly nonstop between the US and HKG on CX. BKK then becomes your destination. If you route through HNL in the direction that is not the CX nonstop, you can stop there.

If you have to do this in the order you specified (BKK, HKG, HNL), then this won't work as a partner award, it will have to be a Oneworld award.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 1:22 am

Confused

Thanks gemac, can you tell me why NRT is my first and last foreign gateway? I am not stopping there but just connecting as that is the only route with reward seat.

Are you saying this is ok -YEG SEA LAX HKG*BKK*NRT HNL* LAX SEA YEG?
* means stopover

Would this work - if I fly to BKK first and buy myself a 1 way ticket to HKG and then fly from HKG via NRT to HNL and then onto YEG?

This is basically what I want - stops in BKK, HNL, HKG. The important one is HKG be last stop before coming home. I can even stop in HNL first. How would you propose this might work? Thanks.
Old Sep 15, 2006, 7:32 am

Opinion: even though this thread has a lot of useful information, at 14 pages it is rapidly becoming un-useful.

Suggestion: Could this somehow be incorporated into the Wiki into three sections:

Valid Itns...and reasons
Invalid Itns...and reasons
Is this Itn valid...and disucssion before it moves to one of the above sections?

Is there a person this suggestion could be directed to?
Old Sep 17, 2006, 4:22 am

May be this could work: YEG SEA LAX NRT BKK open jaw HKG NRT HNL(stop) LAX SEA YEG, or YEG SEA LAX NRT BKK (buy my own return ticket to HKG) NRT HNL (stop) LAX SEA YEG. What do you think? Thx.
Old Sep 20, 2006, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks gemac, can you tell me why NRT is my first and last foreign gateway? I am not stopping there but just connecting as that is the only route with reward seat.
A connection makes it a gateway. It does not have to be a stopover.

Are you saying this is ok -YEG SEA LAX HKG*BKK*NRT HNL* LAX SEA YEG?
* means stopover.
I believe that would be OK.

Would this work - if I fly to BKK first and buy myself a 1 way ticket to HKG and then fly from HKG via NRT to HNL and then onto YEG?
That should also work.

This is basically what I want - stops in BKK, HNL, HKG. The important one is HKG be last stop before coming home. I can even stop in HNL first. How would you propose this might work? Thanks.
I would try to do this as YEG SEA LAX HNL* BKK* HKG* LAX SEA YEG? BKK is your destination. HNL is your first North American Gateway, so a stopover would be permitted. HKG is your last foreign Gateway, so a stopover would be permitted.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.