Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2005, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by jabrams72
Was this with a stopover? I think, although I may be wrong on this that if this transit was <24 hours, they would count as co-terminals, but if you are stopping for more than 24, then they're technically different.
It was less than 6 hours, I believe. Everything else was fine, but the agent said my "arunk" counted as a segmment and put me at 17. I had to change to DFW-SFO-HKG from SAN-SJC/SFO-HKG.
Old May 20, 2005, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by magic111
It is my impression that if the open-jaw is the origin and destination stopovers are not allowed in either.
I am fairly certain they were willing to let me stopover in the destination city, but I no longer have the reservation, so I am not positive. I believe I had both a transit and a stopover at SFO, and that it was my final destination, with an origin at DFW.
Old May 20, 2005, 9:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oiRRio
Would typing my posts more s-l-o-w-l-y help...
Yeah, please do that at all times when posting anything I might read, regardless of how improbable. Your cooperation is appreciated!

I now understand what you're trying to say. Here's an example:

DFW (start of itinerary) - LAX (stopover) - SYD (stopover) - PER (stopover) - MEL (stopover) - HKG (stopover) - LAX (end of itinerary)

You're trying to say that because LAX is one end of the open jaw, having a stopover in LAX earlier in the itinerary would result in there being 2 stopovers in LAX, which is not allowed.

Before the recent posts in this thread, I had not seen anything in the official rules or in any flyertalk thread which said that having an open jaw consisting of the beginning and ending cities would cause the passenger to have a stopover in the ending city. (I'm talking about the rules and threads that specifically apply to oneworld awards using AA miles.)

But I am going to take your word for it and add this restriction to the first post of this thread.

Thanks for pointing out this issue.
Old May 20, 2005, 10:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
In this thread titled Help! AA OW Award Flagged as Invalid the following comment was posted
The note in the record was that you cannot stopover or transit the origin (which I know) or destination (which is news to me).
btw thank you for the original post

Last edited by magic111; May 20, 2005 at 10:39 am Reason: spwelling
Old May 20, 2005, 10:47 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by magic111
In this thread titled Help! AA OW Award Flagged as Invalid the following comment was posted btw thank you for the original post
Thanks. The real problem wasn't explained very well in that thread. But I now see it.
Old May 20, 2005, 11:09 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Okay just to cross the tees and dot all the eyes.

The destination if an open-jaw from the origination can't have a stop or a transit.

At least according to the thread above
Old May 20, 2005, 12:35 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

The original itinerary in that thread had just one connection through ORD (plus two stopovers). Eliminating the open jaw presumably resulted in the itinerary having two connections through ORD (plus one stopover). So, the connection/open jaw limitation was not an issue in that thread.

If 2 connections and 1 stopover are allowed for any city except the originating city and if we assume that the final city is part of an open jaw, then why wouldn't 2 connections be allowed through the final city? The 1 allowed stopover (but none of the allowed connections) for that city would be used by the open jaw. Correct? If not, then I'm real confused....
Old May 22, 2005, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Somwhere on the highways and byways of the United States
Programs: WWBTNFTMTP Evangelist
Do all the flights have to be on One World metal or is a codeshare OK? Like TLV-ZRH (cs) -JFK.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

USING A BUSINESS CLASS AWARD ON FLIGHTS THAT DO NOT HAVE A BUSINESS CLASS CABIN

This section applies only to a person who is using a business class award.

The person is entitled to first class travel on American Airlines for a flight that does not have a business class cabin, if there is "Z" availability for that flight. If "Z" is unavailable but "T" is available, then the person must travel in economy class.

For a flight on a oneworld airline other than American Airlines, the person must travel in economy class (assuming that there is "X" availability).
Just making sure I read this correctly.

So if I do a One World Business Class with IB and BA only, I will actually only get to be in economy class only?
Old May 22, 2005, 11:39 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
No, that clause applies where there is no business class. AFAIK IB and BA have business class on the flights you are considering.
Old May 22, 2005, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
No, that clause applies where there is no business class. AFAIK IB and BA have business class on the flights you are considering.

So is there no business class when there are two classes of service?

Last edited by myefre; May 23, 2005 at 10:13 am
Old May 23, 2005, 9:43 am
Val

Programs: AA Platinum, 2 Million Miles
Originally Posted by Austinrunner
Thanks. The real problem wasn't explained very well in that thread. But I now see it.
I must not have typed slowly enough for you.
Old May 23, 2005, 1:05 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by myefre
So is there no business class when there are two classes of service?
This varies by airline, but generally there is no first class when there are 2 classes of service outside of the US. On both BA and IB all of the 2-class flights have business class (while the same kind of flight on AA would be called first class). Same is true for QF, CX, LA, AY (EI no longer has any short-haul business class, having gone to the LCC model). So for Oneworld it is always J plus Y, except on AA where it is F plus Y for most US flights and J plus Y for Canada/Mexico/Caribbean flights. To further confuse things, AA domestic J is considerably nicer than domestic F (i.e. business class is a superior service category than first in those cases).
Old May 23, 2005, 1:51 pm
LRD

Programs: AA Plat/6MM, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond
Previously, I posted that an open jaw might not count toward the 16-segment limit...
Originally Posted by LRD
... I have just e-ticketed a 16-segment itinerary which includes MEL-LST/HBA-SYD.
However, number_6, in another thread, reminded me that:
A segment is a single flight number.
So, the itinerary I booked actually has 15 segments (with one multi-flight segment) and an open jaw.

I stand corrected. Austinrunner's OP looks correct to me.
Old May 25, 2005, 8:44 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I've changed the original post to include the information provided by JonNYC about stopovers. He quoted the applicable rule here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.