Wiki Posts
Search

Does AA needs International strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Marriott Platinum
Does AA needs International strategy?

AA is trying to change to compete with domestic low cost carriers, but does not seem to have a plan to remain competitive internationally, particularly for J and F fares.

A major problem is that the flight attendants on international flights and particularly in J and F are the most senior. Unfortuantely many are very unhappy about recent salary cuts and provide the minimum possible service(not all ) . As many have pointed out, frequently the model is "serve quick and then disappear". Because of the union, job performance (quality of service) makes no differnce.

I just returned from a LAX-JFK-LHR-ORD-LAX trip in J. The service on the domestic links was noticably better than on the international flights. In fact, the after meal service JFK-LHR was almost non existent.

I am sure AA management does not want to take on the union, but internation flight attendants should not be solely based upon seniority. There should be comment sheets available for passengers, like many resturants. Negative comments should prevent an attendant getting the plum flights.

Otherwise AA is just evolving into a low service international carrier.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:51 pm

Pretty much what many people have experienced.

Does AA need an In't strategy? I think AA needs a strategy. period.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 8:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I believe they have a very clear strategy that most employees can articulate that goes something like -

We're going to turn over operations to the bean counters so they can wring every cent out of how we do our business and we assume that since we're the strongest finanically of the legacy carriers that this will be enough to ensure we survive in some form.

It's not visionary but it will probably suffice.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt Gold, SPG lifetime
NRT-JFK is the worst. i wish they would overturn this seniority rule and randomly select FAs for long haul. this is the same case for UA as well - transpacific flights get the worst deal.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 10:07 pm
Suspended

Imagine if....

If AA management doesn't have the bAAlls to do something about this because of their fear of the union, then why don't they let pax do something about it.

Envision a board at the gate entitled "The Fine Crew Who Will Be Serving You For This Flight" with 8 x 10 glossy photos of the flight crew available for inspection.

This way FF's could scan the board for the mug shots of FA's who have been known to give bad service in the past. Then the FF's could inform the other pax waiting in the gate and hopefully convince the majority of the group to protest the use of the FA.

In essence, the pax could unionize. The could make it clear to the GA that they will not take the flight with the particular FA's on board. Being resourceful, the pax could probably throw together a few signs "Eject the hAAg !!" and picket at the gate, blocking any scab pax that tries to board the flight.

Then what would AA do with the flight?

Delay it until they reach an agreement with the pax? Remember, the door to the plane hasn't closed, so the crew remains off the clock. Maybe the undesired FA will finally relent and leave the flight so a reservist can fill in. The pax can cheer and promptly board the plane causing no further delay.

Or, maybe AA decides to fly the plane empty. Since pax won't board, there wouldn't be a need for the crew, so again the FA wouldn't get to fly.

It's time the we as pax speak out with our $$$. Let's unionize and show how powerful our collective voice is.

It may force AA to become a cargo only airline, but at least we'll have won the war against the surly FA.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM
International Premium Strategy

Yes, there are bad FAs on the best int'l longhaul routes, but that, IMHO, is far from the real problem. American has dumbed down its premium service, while non-US carriers have improved theirs. Whether it's the little things like fabric tools in the first class WCs or the business class seat, American falls farther and farther behind the non-US competition. American is my primary US carrier but I fly one world partners, BA/CX/QF or LX/JL codeshares whenever the opportunity presents itself.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by rogodwin
...There should be comment sheets available for passengers, like many resturants. Negative comments should prevent an attendant getting the plum flights....(
PLUM flights?! How about, "enough negative comments and you get NO flights"? As in "You're fired!". But that won't happen until bankruptcy, voiding of the union contracts... and hell freezing over.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, 3.5 MM Miles, HH Diamond
It Starts with the Seats

Service is no matter if the seat is not comfortable. I would like to see AA put a more thought (and maintenance) into the long-haul Bus-Class seats.

Compared to the work (and advertising) that non-US carriers are putting into seats, it seems like an obvious point for a long-haul flight.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by 777lover

^

Most financial types are very bad at creating forward looking strategies.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by 777lover
Totally what I thought when I saw this thread title!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 10:49 am
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
The service issues are one thing (and a very real problem at times), the product itself (seat, amenities) another. In the union environment, I don't know how you fix the former. The latter will remain a problem as long as the current pricing strategy remains in place -- by which I mean, you set a ridiculously high "sticker" price for a J seat, discount it enormously for corporations, and fill the rest with upgrades.

It's classic legacy airline folly -- try to sell two seats at $7,000, ten at $1500, and 20 at $500 plus the miles. The service and overall product get slanted more toward the $500 level (since the majority of people paid that), so the guy paying $7000 really gets angry -- and given the choice will fly Cathay for the same price. So, eventually, the two who paid $7,000 go away and you're stuck with a cabin full of those on corporate contracts who got the big discount plus everybody else on an upgraded leisure fare.

Somewhere, in my humble opinion, the fare range between lowest and highest needs to be compressed somewhat and then the product scaled toward that price range. Nothing irritates people more than to sit in an inferior seat with inferior service, yet be told that the seat was worth $7,000. It just doesn't wash. And then the employees begin to realize that a lot of people up there got there for very little money, and they feel that this justifies poor service.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AA__Only
"Eject the hAAg !!"
That made me laugh!!!

I think I would be very happy to pay AA a premium over the very good value economy product.

But, unless the company is paying, I would not pay for the Business Class in its current format.

Having said that, when they work, the seats are not too bad if they were positioned price wise a shade above a Premium Economy class - somewhere in the $700-$1200 bracket.

That would get me flying AA every time.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Robert Leach
The service issues are one thing (and a very real problem at times), the product itself (seat, amenities) another. In the union environment, I don't know how you fix the former. The latter will remain a problem as long as the current pricing strategy remains in place -- by which I mean, you set a ridiculously high "sticker" price for a J seat, discount it enormously for corporations, and fill the rest with upgrades.

It's classic legacy airline folly -- try to sell two seats at $7,000, ten at $1500, and 20 at $500 plus the miles. The service and overall product get slanted more toward the $500 level (since the majority of people paid that), so the guy paying $7000 really gets angry -- and given the choice will fly Cathay for the same price. So, eventually, the two who paid $7,000 go away and you're stuck with a cabin full of those on corporate contracts who got the big discount plus everybody else on an upgraded leisure fare.

Somewhere, in my humble opinion, the fare range between lowest and highest needs to be compressed somewhat and then the product scaled toward that price range. Nothing irritates people more than to sit in an inferior seat with inferior service, yet be told that the seat was worth $7,000. It just doesn't wash. And then the employees begin to realize that a lot of people up there got there for very little money, and they feel that this justifies poor service.
You make it sound like these people [literally] cut these upgrades off of cereal boxes. They got the upgrades as a reward for their loyalty in flying a lot of high[er] priced regular fares. These are NOT free tickets. That USED to be emphasized to the service employees. I'm speaking of mileage upgrades and mileage awards here. Now 500 mile segment upgrades are a slightly different matter. The availability of these upgrades are probably keeping some from purchasing full fare F tickets. AA could possibly influence the market for these, but NONE of this is really an excuse for poor service. ESPECIALLY when some pax ARE paying full price.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
Cool Huh?

Originally Posted by AA__Only
This way FF's could scan the board for the mug shots of FA's who have been known to give bad service in the past. Then the FF's could inform the other pax waiting in the gate and hopefully convince the majority of the group to protest the use of the FA.

In essence, the pax could unionize. The could make it clear to the GA that they will not take the flight with the particular FA's on board. Being resourceful, the pax could probably throw together a few signs "Eject the hAAg !!" and picket at the gate, blocking any scab pax that tries to board the flight.

Then what would AA do with the flight?
You can't be serious?! There are a couple of obvious things wrong with this. One, unless you're flying on a refundable ticket AA could care less if you get on the plane. They already have your money. It would be more profitable to fly those paid seats without you and your luggage.

Secondly, even if they pulled a FA where do you think they'd find one to replace him/her?

Delay it until they reach an agreement with the pax? Remember, the door to the plane hasn't closed, so the crew remains off the clock.
Don't think for one minute that AA won't close that door on you and fly that plane.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AA definitely needs some international strategy. Based on many transpacific and transatlantic flights I have experienced with AA and other airlines (particularly the Asian airlines), AA is just not up to par when it comes to international flights, either be the service or product.

I think the problem is the lack of consistency on the quality of FAs. It is either hit or miss. Sometimes you get great FAs (the ones I had ZRH-DFW) and most of time not so great ones. Lately, my experiences on the domestic J service are not great - less beverage services and after services, they just gathered in the front and chatted during the entire flight (to the point I just could not fall asleep).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.