Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where To Find The YUP Fares?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by bedelman
That's definitely not right. LAX-BOS and LAX-JFK both have YUPs, as does LAX-HNL. LAX-MCO is especially cheap at $394 each way, fare basis Y26UPSP.

See my travel.edelman.org methodology, described in my 3:04pm post above, for a review of how to search for YUPs.
got any clues how i could price this with at least 4 segments each way?
]] Fare rules and restrictions
Please review the rules and restrictions listed below.
When you purchase your ticket, you agree to these rules and restrictions.

1 Rules and restrictions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From: Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States (FLL-All Airports)
To: San Francisco, CA, United States (SFO-San Francisco Intl.)
Fare Basis Code: YR26UP

FLLSFO-AA 20OCT04 *RULE DISPLAY* TARIFF 0011 RULE 2000
-FARE BASIS USD TAX TOTAL PTC FT
YR26UP R 751.63 56.37 808.00 ADT NL
YR26UP/IN00 R 0.00 0.00 0.00 INF NL
YR26UP/INF50 R 375.81 28.19 404.00 INS NL
BOOKING CODES A
FIRST TRAVEL -26SEP04
SEASONS - NO RESTRICTION
PENALTIES - SEE TEXT RULE
DAY/TIME - NO RESTRICTION
ADV RES/TKT - WAITLISTING NOT PERMITTED
ALL SEGMENTS MUST BE CONFIRMED
MIN STAY - NO RESTRICTION
MAX STAY - NO RESTRICTION
BLACKOUTS - NO RESTRICTION
SURCHARGES - NONE
STOPOVERS - NOT PERMITTED
TRANSFERS - NO RESTRICTION
FLT APPLIC - FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 01OCT 04
MUST NOT BE VIA AA FLT 15 AND/OR/ 20
FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 02OCT 04 AND
ON/BEFORE 02OCT 04 MUST NOT BE VIA AA FLT 18
FOR TRAVEL ON/AFTER 09OCT 04 AND
FURTHER RESTR APPLY SEE TEXT RULE
CHILD DISC - INF UNDER 2 YRS FREE NO SEAT
1ST-2ND INS UNDER 2 YRS 50 PCT WITH SEAT
OTHER DISC - RULE 6020 DFR3 PASSENGER OCCUPYING TWO SEATS
APPLIES.
COMBINABLTY - SEE TEXT RULE
ELIGIBILITY - NO RESTRICTION
ACCOM PSGR - NO RESTRICTION
TRVL RESTR - NO RESTRICTION
SALES RESTR - TKT BY MAIL PTA MECH SELF PTA-TKT PERMITTED
NEGOTIATED - NO RESTRICTION
TKT ENDORSE - NO RESTRICTION
APPLICATION - SEE TEXT RULE
MISC TAGS - SEE TEXT RULE
INDUSTRY FARE TYPE - FR - FIRST CLASS RESTRICTED
PFCS MAY VARY BY RTG
ROUTING 2 FROM FLL-AA-RDU-
TO AA-STL/DFW-AA-SFO*
OR TO AA-CHI-AA-SEA-AA-SFO*
OR TO AA-STL/DFW-AA-SNA/SEA/LAX-AA-
SFO*
OR TO AA-CHI-AA-SEA-AA-SNA/LAX-AA-
SFO*
FROM-TO FLL-AA-RDU-AA-CHI-AA-SEA-AA-
SFO*

if i understand it right, i could fly FLL-CHI-SEA-LAX-SFO,
but all i get for about $850 is FLL-CHI-SEA-SFO, adding LAX nukes it up to 1880$

any clues?
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by MazdaMP
... but i cant get the flights to price....any pointers?
It's often hard to get complicated itineraries to autoprice. Be sure each segment has A inventory. (See any inventory tool -- such as either of the two downloads, or ITN.net.) If that still doesn't work, then you're probably best off just following the instructions in my original post: "5) Book the ticket on aa.com, if you can manage to get it to autoprice, or via AA telephone reservations."
Old Oct 18, 2004, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by bedelman
It's often hard to get complicated itineraries to autoprice. Be sure each segment has A inventory. (See any inventory tool -- such as either of the two downloads, or ITN.net.) If that still doesn't work, then you're probably best off just following the instructions in my original post: "5) Book the ticket on aa.com, if you can manage to get it to autoprice, or via AA telephone reservations."

actually, i just got this on AA.com:

Carrier Flight
Number Departing Arriving Cabin Flight Status
Notification Flight
Details Seats
City Date & Time City Date & Time

AMERICAN AIRLINES
1717 FLL Fort Lauderdale 10/23/2004 07:19 AM ORD Chicago 10/23/2004 09:20 AM First

AMERICAN AIRLINES
311 ORD Chicago 10/23/2004 11:09 AM SEA Seattle 10/23/2004 01:35 PM First

AMERICAN AIRLINES
OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES 6764 SEA Seattle 10/23/2004 03:00 PM LAX Los Angeles 10/23/2004 05:26 PM First

AMERICAN AIRLINES
1976 LAX Los Angeles 10/23/2004 07:40 PM SFO San Francisco 10/23/2004 08:53 PM First

AMERICAN AIRLINES
OPERATED BY ALASKA AIRLINES 7160 SFO San Francisco 10/24/2004 09:00 AM SEA Seattle 10/24/2004 11:10 AM First

AMERICAN AIRLINES
1300 SEA Seattle 10/24/2004 12:22 PM DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth 10/24/2004 06:10 PM Economy

AMERICAN AIRLINES
1564 DFW Dallas/ Fort Worth 10/24/2004 06:59 PM FLL Fort Lauderdale 10/24/2004 10:40 PM First

Your Price
Number of Passengers Ticket Price per Person Taxes and Fees per Person Price
1 Adult
743.24 USD
103.96 USD
847.20 USD

Your Total Price 847.20 USD

so this would be 70% to my 100,000 miles for 10 full fare segments promo.
the only thing stopping me is the fact that one segment is in coach (no A inventory available) - but then again, as an EXP on a Y fare, my chances should be decent to clear
Old Oct 19, 2004, 12:38 am

Programs: UA, WN, AA Plat, too many hotels
I was just able to pull YUPS up on the new AA site

I was just pricing a trip and went in and found one of my regular YUP's: LAX - JFK.

Yes, the AA site was a little different, but I selected the restricted biz fare option to search under and my YUP came up as usual.

YMMV, best of luck
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:45 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
I don't think those AS codeshAAres qualify for the full-fare segment promotion, do they?
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:15 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Spiff
I don't think those AS codeshAAres qualify for the full-fare segment promotion, do they?
Originally Posted by Email
To qualify as a full-fare segment, the fare basis code for your purchased ticket must begin with F, P, A, J, D, Y or B. Offer applies to travel on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection with purchased, published F, P, A, J, D, Y or B fares only.
It doesn't say no codeshares, so they might be OK.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:30 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA 2.5 MM, United Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by cjbryant
I was just pricing a trip and went in and found one of my regular YUP's: LAX - JFK.

Yes, the AA site was a little different, but I selected the restricted biz fare option to search under and my YUP came up as usual.

YMMV, best of luck
I just took a look at the LAX-JFK YUPS (did not come up on AA using restricted business class, but I found them on Expedia). They are $1,000+ That's about $400 more than the YUPs out of LAS.

The problem I have with the LAS YUP fares is that I have to fly there first. And the flight times from Southern Cal. to LAS are such that I would have to fly in the night before I depart and stay at a hotel, and then would have to fly out the day after and stay at a hotel the night I get back to LAS. So, a 2-day mileage run turns into a 4-day trip with hotel, and boarding of the dogs.

Of course, with the $400 difference in fares, I could easily get a r/t to Vegas (about $70) plus two days of hotel for much less (you can get a cheap one for about $30 a night, or a nice one through Priceline for about $75 a night). It's just the "hassle factor" that's involved.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hoc
Nope. Codeshares are NOT ok. Repeat: NO Codeshares.

Spiff is correct.

From the email you quoted:

To qualify as a full-fare segment, the fare basis code for your purchased ticket must begin with F, P, A, J, D, Y or B. Offer applies to travel on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection with purchased, published F, P, A, J, D, Y or B fares only.
Note the bold words "marketed and OPERATED" by AA, AE or AX. "Operated by" means that AA's name is on side of the plane. That means AA metal only.

To repeat: Codeshares won't work - and you'll be mad if you book codeshares to satisfy this promotion.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:09 am

I like a web site called;

Mobissimo.com

Select First class or Business Class and it will search for you.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:45 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by Hoc
The problem I have with the LAS YUP fares is that I have to fly there first. And the flight times from Southern Cal. to LAS are such that I would have to fly in the night before I depart and stay at a hotel, and then would have to fly out the day after and stay at a hotel the night I get back to LAS. So, a 2-day mileage run turns into a 4-day trip with hotel, and boarding of the dogs.
Although I have not priced this out or looked at exact schedules, you should be able to do this quicker. For example, SAN-LAS has an inexpensive YUP of $270 which hits 4 segments. So you may be able to do:

Day One Afternoon - SAN-LAX-LAS, Day One Evening, LAS-LAX-MCO (overnight)
Day Two Morning - MCO-LAX-LAS, day two evening LAS-LAX-SAN.

or

Day One - SAN-LAX-LAS, LAS-ORD (red eye) -MCO
Day Two - MCO-DFW-LAS, LAS-LAX-SAN

Just a thought and it only takes 1 night away from home.

--Jim
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:19 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
Although I have not priced this out or looked at exact schedules, you should be able to do this quicker. For example, SAN-LAS has an inexpensive YUP of $270 which hits 4 segments.
The SAN-LAX leg of that fare is on American Eagle and has no first class. So it books into L class and cannot be used for the promotion.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 2:26 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Hoc
"Offer applies to travel on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines, American Eagle and AmericanConnection with purchased, published F, P, A, J, D, Y or B fares only."

AS flights are not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection...
Old Oct 19, 2004, 3:58 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Hoc
The SAN-LAX leg of that fare is on American Eagle and has no first class. So it books into L class and cannot be used for the promotion.
Are you sure? I tried it last night and it all booked into Y.

--Jim
Old Oct 19, 2004, 5:18 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JIMBOLIGUY
Are you sure? I tried it last night and it all booked into Y.

--Jim
You had better double check your fare codes on the individual segments. $270 is the r/t price for an L fare from SAN-LAX, plus a Y fare from LAX-LAS.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 7:07 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Hoc
You had better double check your fare codes on the individual segments. $270 is the r/t price for an L fare from SAN-LAX, plus a Y fare from LAX-LAS.
I just checked -- Eagle segments booked in Y (full Y) and LAX-LAS booked in A (First). I did not use AA.com but my corporate website - choosing first class with restrictions. Farebase was $239.

Rules:

QTE F/B BK FARE EFF EXP TKT AP MIN/MAX RTG
7 I YUP7ZN A X 119.00 19OC - - - -/ - 104
FROM-SAN TO-LAS CARRIER-AA TRAVEL-20NOV04 RULE 2435-DFR
FARE BASIS-YUP7ZN OW-INSTANT PURCHASE SPECIAL FARE

NONREF/CHGFEEPLUSFAREDIF/CXL BY FLT TIME OR NOVALUE

From the fare rules listed for the Eagle segment. I picked a random date in November since I am from NY and have not decided if I am going to use this routing or not.

--Jim

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.