Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA or CX to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by sk8erjcx
Well B fare code gives 1.5 bonus so it would be 16K x 1.5 (Fare Code) + 16K (EXP Bonus) + 16K = 56K. CX PE also gives AA miles so I get 16K x 1.5 + 16K = 40K miles so the difference really is in the 16K miles.
According to your options, CX PE is via JFK, but AA includes an additional LGA-DFW connection. So add 6945 + 16k, or about 21,000 Extra AAdvantage Miles if using AA....over 61K. Almost a free first class one way on CX (67.5K).

That's right.....right?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 5:21 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold
Well B fare code gives 1.5 bonus so it would be 16K x 1.5 (Fare Code) + 16K (EXP Bonus) + 16K = 56K

CX PE also gives AA miles so I get 16K x 1.5 + 16K = 40K miles so the difference really is in the 16K miles.
CX PE gives 1.5 EQP but only 110%EQM so your comparing calculations are a little off
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Just a couple of more things to add into the mix.

For DFW to HKG, I have seat 16L and from HKG to DFW I have seat 16H. (On Hold)

There is a promotion where I get double miles for this flight (Asia3 promotion code).
Double check your fare code to ensure you're in the Asia3 promo rules
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:57 pm

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Slightly off topic but I flew CX round trip in first this month to HKG (outbound from JFK and inbound to ORD). They were the most amazing flights ever and I have flown first in BA (sucked), Etihad (pretty nice), and Emirates (too blingy).
Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by reeg2
The hyperlink feature is in the formatting tools, roughly center of the text window. It's a globe with a chain link. First highlight the words you'd like to be the link, then click the icon and paste the link.
Thank you.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:11 pm

This data point means nothing... but that's never stop me from posting before.

Over the last few days, if I talked with an AAgent that seemed to know their "stuff", I'd ask about the PALL order list:

JonNYC: "-B- fares (and -Y-) are at the top of the EXP hierarchy for upgrade priority."

Granted, a phone AAgent is NOT a GA, JonNYC would never steer us in the wrong direction and the Y/B thing makes a lot of sense. BUT, the AAgents said the Y/B thing is not the case, it's all about status and time. Blab.. blab, blab.

One AAgents said it USED to be that way, but it has changed.

OK. My posts on FT are littered with me bashing the inconsistent and wrong information regularly given out by phone AAgents on the EXP desk.

So.. we're back to, either the AAgents are great actors, they don't know or I need to get a life.

My next project will be EF's C Alerts, C availability and the UG Waiting List. Because if what:

Originally Posted by reeg2
If you see C2 - call AA immediately and at times, you can jump the queue. This is one of the great values of EF's notifications, not only for your own Y seat to get early notice of clearing but also to potentially see C inventory before the automated sweeps.
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Happens all the time. Call and ask, and the EXP phone agent will sometimes clear you while you wait.
are reporting is true... it's a frighting breakdown. Almost like a "scandal" type software glitch.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:38 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Jan 25, 2015 at 7:02 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plt , Marriott Ambassador
No question, CX. Service from the flight crew in CX PE will rival what you get on AA in J just with domestic F type seats and plastic cups for drinks. I guess if you value a flat seat and fine china (admittely I do not) take your chances with your AA upgrade. That being said, I am one of those flyer talkers that do not understand the 100+ page thread discussing upgrade chances on AA 137/138 when CX offers a substantially superior product from several US gateways.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Well last time I booked B fare about a month out and was #1 on the upgrade list so I'm tempted to say Y/B makes a difference. The upgrade list was 50 deep and two were upgraded.

So I went ahead and booked AA this weekend. I have always flown CX Except my last trip. The deal breaker was the extra miles (16 bonus + LGA to DFW miles x 2 + bonus on the AA credit card) - about 25k total. Not too shabby.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by umaa83
No question, CX. Service from the flight crew in CX PE will rival what you get on AA in J just with domestic F type seats and plastic cups for drinks. I guess if you value a flat seat and fine china (admittely I do not) take your chances with your AA upgrade. That being said, I am one of those flyer talkers that do not understand the 100+ page thread discussing upgrade chances on AA 137/138 when CX offers a substantially superior product from several US gateways.
Because SWUs are free and AA is usually cheaper than CX and CX J is cash or miles.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
deleted
JonNYC: That's all I've been hoping for, the official, on AA.com, language that states, explicitly, that Y/B is prioritized.

I've been searching, posting my references, but I lack the experience you have.

But having said that, you sort of, a little bit, kept us hanging a couple of times.

Here, when you wrote, and I asked:

... But, of course, the "full story" (of why UA and AA are able to sell an indisputably inferior product than CX, et al) and make money on HKG routes is a long and complicated one.
Originally Posted by zznoname
OK. But, could you please share an outline of the "...story". I'm very interested in the reasoning.
and more recently:

Why would you assume anything other than that it was a J-> F upgrade (or the 5 or 6 other explanations that I'd place *well* above your guess)?
Originally Posted by brewdog11
If it sounded derogatory, I didn't mean it to be. That's just been a factor in my personal experience, and nothing they bothers me. #18 on UG list cleared. Not another soul was taken off the list. If it were a J->F UG, then it stands to reason that more than one pax would clear off the UG list since a J seat would open and #1 would clear into J.

But what were your five or six other explanations?
So.. if we, with your help, can lock this up, put a pin in the Y/B thing, as easily as a link to AA.com, let’s do it, please.

Last edited by zznoname; Jan 26, 2015 at 7:49 am
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
My personal opinion fly CX and consider nothing else! ^

Book something now as best you can even if on AA as I bet CX will open seats but in the end the queen of the skies for OW is CX
Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Well B fare code gives 1.5 bonus so it would be 16K x 1.5 (Fare Code) + 16K (EXP Bonus) + 16K = 56K

CX PE also gives AA miles so I get 16K x 1.5 + 16K = 40K miles so the difference really is in the 16K miles.
Plus 2015 Currency Promo?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:29 am

Found it!

Yeah!

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...emwideupgrades

At the bottom: "Systemwide upgrade FAQs" > "Learn more about the upgrade process" > "How is the airport upgrade standby list prioritized?":

"The airport upgrade standby list is prioritized by AAdvantage elite status level first, then your original upgrade request date/time, with fares booked in Y and B first, followed by all other fares. The type of upgrade requested does not have any influence on how your request is prioritized."

Don't know why I'm celebrating, I'm flying Q Fare.

Last edited by zznoname; Jan 26, 2015 at 7:44 am
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:34 am
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
JTK, did you booked farecode B? I did this in Dec and was upgraded both times and was # 1 on the upgrade list both times.

Prior to that flight, I always booked CX PE but have never been upgraded even with empty seats in business. I have no Asia miles nor Marco Polo status, just AA EXP.
No, I booked E code which is discount PE in CX. I also tend to book very full flights from JFK-HKG and PE always seems to be oversold or Y is oversold. I just have been very lucky. Flying CX as AA ExPlt I can't upgrade and I have never seen an upgrade list on CX and don't even know where to find it.

Last edited by JTK; Jan 26, 2015 at 7:37 am Reason: Additional info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.