Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

2015 Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Upgrade Availability Discussion (consolidated)

Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I don't find 2015 much different than 2014 at the EXP level. I've cleared 9 systemwides already, some of them from hidden EXP availability, out through April. I doubt you'd have access to that not currently being an EXP. I just had a DFW-LHR two weeks ago and have two more in February and April, all that cleared at booking.

Might want to change your profile.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:20 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Gold LT
Thanks Tom911. You are always so positive. I am still Ex Plat until Feb, and then hopefully should be Ex Plat again in April. Will try to update profile in March.

I forgot about the hidden "C" availability available only to Ex Plat's. Earlier in the month, when I decided to go for it and re-qualify for Ex Plat, I searched and saw a couple of dates that had some 763 availability. But as SWU availability sometimes comes in batches, will just have to check regularly for the next batch and then book.

I am hoping you are right, and that we will see a reasonable amount of "C" availability.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 3:39 pm

Most of my 2015 upgrades did not appear on Expert Flyer. One that comes to mind is 3 seats LHR-LAX in March which is known as a difficult route to clear on the 777-300. EF showed zero inventory. I called a few hours after booking and all 3 of us were upgraded. I deliberately booked that flight as I'm traveling with friends that enjoy the MCE section in the 777-300 and one of them just can't sleep on planes, so figured worse case we'd have those seats locked in under my status and they'd enjoy the expanded entertainment choices. I seem to run across a lot less visible inventory on EF, but then when I call in and they clear me. Probably helps that I book a few months out.

Sorry for the confusion about your profile. Misread your post.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Quick question.

I'm an AA PLT. Usually been flying USAIR metal with my AA FF #. Usually I can upgrade for free within 24 hours by just selecting an open first class seat.

For my next trip I'm on AA metal and it doesn't seem to be the same upgrade process as USAIR. Do I have to use my 500 mile upgrade stickers whenever I want to upgrade? Are upgrades offered without using the stickers?

Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by mitenator
Do I have to use my 500 mile upgrade stickers whenever I want to upgrade?
Yes, but that's not a guarantee you'll clear the list.

Are upgrades offered without using the stickers?
Only at the EXP level.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bdemaria
The Italy flights are a tough upgrade b/c there are so few direct flights from the states. Mid week makes it a bit better but I still wouldn't expect for the ugprade to clear until very close to departure. That's just standard for these routes.
Originally Posted by Time traveller
NYC is a major financial center. Milan is also a major financial center. From the airline's perspective, it is reasonable to expect last minute revenue booking in business class. If they can collect $5K/ticket, AA RM will wait and save those seats for business travelers with a generous travel expense account.
I am similarly waitlisted for 2 seats JFK-MXP in mid-June. It is a refurbished 763 with 4 across seating in J, which would make it even more attractive for paid J traffic. But since I took the first two MCE seats I would assume we will be at the top of the upgrade list.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Somewhat related, I'm standing by for an earlier flight to maximize upgrade chances. To be clear, even though I'm now on the standby list for the earlier flight, I am still on the upgrade list in the same order for my original flight, right?

I realize I need to clear the standby to be added to the upgrade list on the earlier flight.
I believe your timestamp for the upgrade on Flight 2 will be based on when you clear standby onto Flight 2. Not the old timestamp for the original Flight 1.

Agree with your latter post that if the upgrade onto flight 2 doesnt clear, then dont let them take you off flight 1.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Yes, but that's not a guarantee you'll clear the list.

Only at the EXP level.
so its nothing like USAIR? If there are open seats by boarding time they just go unused?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I believe your timestamp for the upgrade on Flight 2 will be based on when you clear standby onto Flight 2. Not the old timestamp for the original Flight 1.
Nope. Sticker upgrade requests are stored in the PNR, so any changes to the PNR will retain the original time stamp. Works this way for voluntary flight changes, CFC, schedule changes, etc.

However, if you are on a SWU waitlist and you change flights, you will lose the original time stamp and start all over again.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by mitenator
so its nothing like USAIR? If there are open seats by boarding time they just go unused?
Yes. AA will fly with open seats up front if they're not requested by EXPs or other elites that can support the upgrade.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:06 pm

Yes. AA will fly with open seats up front if they're not requested by EXPs or other elites that can support the upgrade.
That's no fun.

I'm assuming my 5pm departure from PHL to DFW will have food? I might as well put my stickers to good use...
Old Jan 25, 2015, 9:27 pm

It's listed as a snack flight so it will have something.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:03 pm

By food I meant dinner, not the snack basket.

How do you find out if its a snack or meal flight?
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:39 pm

By looking at the flight information on the AA website. Click on the "+" sign next to the flight number when searching by price. A snack is not the same as a snack basket.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:53 pm

By looking at the flight information on the AA website. Click on the "+" sign next to the flight number when searching by price. A snack is not the same as a snack basket.
Got it! Looks like the flight is serving dinner. Upgrade requested!

Thanks for the timely responses!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.