Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (This post can only be edited by moderators.)

Welcome to the 2015 "NEWBIE LOUNGE":
Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (FLAME FREE)

Thanks to thread founder / "plank owner" HNL! Founder and previous FlyerTalk owner, Randy Petersen, quoted (with necessary word substitutions) said in the Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan Forum:
Originally Posted by Randy Petersen

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The Newbie Lounge is a place where you can get answers to your questions about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program. No question is too stupid, nothing is taken for granted, and anything about American Airlines you were afraid to ask elsewhere, or weren't sure where to ask, you can ask here.

We realize that FlyerTalk is a huge place. Until you learn your way around, feel free to post here without fear of retribution or reprimands for not using search. Our volunteer Moderators will be monitoring the lounge to assist you in finding your answers but I think you'll find that all members of FlyerTalk are here to assist you with answers and advice.

We're all glad you are here.
/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

The previous NEWBIE LOUNGE threads are archived here

And

2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Some very useful threads for new members to check include.

FAQ: American Airlines and AAdvantage - Please check here first!

HELP DESK: Ask questions about Lounge Access, Challenges, Upgrades, Miles & Points

Link to thread covering Weather, IRROPS (irregular operations) etc. of significance affecting American Airlines' operations. This thread contains links to some very useful assistance, AA weather policy and other tools.

Print Wikipost

[2015 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by AtlanticX
Another, unrelated question. Booking through the AA-site, I was offered a routing LHR-DFW. However, on ITA, I could find a routing LHR-MIA, that was 20 euro cheaper, and would give me more miles to boot. Now, the money and miles were not worth the extra flight duration this time around, but I can imagine a desire to optimize miles in the future.

My assumption would be that in order to get that routing, I should have booked by phone and insisted on booking the flights as given by ITA? Or is there a trick to force routings online? Would I have to pay a phone booking fee, or would that have been waived since I couldn't book that routing on-line?

Thanks in advance, and apologies for asking these somewhat basic questions.
Multi city option should work, but I just wanted to make sure that you were checking all the simple online options. First, it allows you to sort by price, as well as travel time and # of stops. Did you try that? In addition, by default it only lists the first 10 options or so. At the bottom of the page where you're selecting flights, you should have the option of displaying more, or going to the next page. Did you try that?

In addition, if you can't get it to work online, in the past I've had success putting any routing, eg. STL-DFW-LHR on hold, then calling in and asking for my ticket to be rerouted and repriced eg. to STL-MIA-LHR, and having the agent leave it on hold. I've found that I can still book it online without a phone booking fee.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 4:45 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I believe the quoted "Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades" is under the section that says "Here's how upgrades will work once we combine our loyalty programs in the second quarter of 2015."

So given that it's a March flight, my thought is that it would still require 1 500-mile upgrade to be burnt. (Though I've never been known for my reading comprehension skills, so please correct me if I'm interpreting the page language incorrectly. )
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Asiana Club Silver, Flying Blue Ivory
So given that it's a March flight, my thought is that it would still require 1 500-mile upgrade to be burnt. (Though I've never been known for my reading comprehension skills, so please correct me if I'm interpreting the page language incorrectly. )
Ah yes, my excitement indeed got ahead of me. I'm actually flying AUS-DFW on the 31st of March, hah, how's that for poor timing :-), that being the last day of the first quarter. I'll snag an MCE seat instead, I guess.

Multi city option should work, but I just wanted to make sure that you were checking all the simple online options. First, it allows you to sort by price, as well as travel time and # of stops. Did you try that? In addition, by default it only lists the first 10 options or so. At the bottom of the page where you're selecting flights, you should have the option of displaying more, or going to the next page. Did you try that?
I'm using the European Amadeus booking tool. It has no option of displaying more. I fiddled around and finally did get to see the alternative routing on the US booking tool. Something to keep in my mind for the future.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:36 pm

Hi, I have a question. I booked my Flight LAX to LHR for April 10 in First class (milesavers).

American Airlines Flight 2485
Today I got an email with a flight status change.

LAX to DFW, First class Z
DFW to LHR, Business class U.

My seat # doesn't change. But my First class changed to Business class? any idea?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by sosamo
Hi, I have a question. I booked my Flight LAX to LHR for April 10 in First class (milesavers).

American Airlines Flight 2485
Today I got an email with a flight status change.

LAX to DFW, First class Z
DFW to LHR, Business class U.

My seat # doesn't change. But my First class changed to Business class? any idea?
What's the flight # for DFW-LHR?

I'm guessing that you were originally booked on a 3 class of service 777 and the plane was downgauged to a 2 class of service flight, and thus you moved from First to business.

How many miles did you use to book the ticket? Is it possible you were booked in int'l J (business) to begin with?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
What's the flight # for DFW-LHR?

I'm guessing that you were originally booked on a 3 class of service 777 and the plane was downgauged to a 2 class of service flight, and thus you moved from First to business.

How many miles did you use to book the ticket? Is it possible you were booked in int'l J (business) to begin with?
Thanks. that's what i figure Flight 80. It is now a Boeing 763 which only has Business class. sucks.

I booked 2 one way milesaver tickets for 110k total.
LAX-LHR (connection at DFW)
4/10/15 3:30pm (LAX) to 1:15pm (LHR)

fyi: I booked this like back in May 2014
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sosamo
Thanks. that's what i figure Flight 80. It is now a Boeing 763 which only has Business class. sucks.

I booked 2 one way milesaver tickets for 110k total.
LAX-LHR (connection at DFW)
4/10/15 3:30pm (LAX) to 1:15pm (LHR)

fyi: I booked this like back in May 2014
Was it a 777 when you booked? If so, then call AA and explain you want to be in your ticketed cabin. It shouldn't matter if there is current award availability. Id try for 2401 changing to AA50, so you'd be on the 763 and 77W - but another option would be AA 2469, and then changing to AA 78. AA is traditionally very accommodating w/rebooking in advance due to schedule/equipment changes.

When you call, be polite but firm. If the agent doesn't automatically rebook you, then say 'thank you very much I'll need to think about this" and call back.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan & AA Advantage
How is the wifi reliability and speed on the 777-300?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 2:38 am

Was it a 777 when you booked? If so, then call AA and explain you want to be in your ticketed cabin. It shouldn't matter if there is current award availability. Id try for 2401 changing to AA50, so you'd be on the 763 and 77W - but another option would be AA 2469, and then changing to AA 78. AA is traditionally very accommodating w/rebooking in advance due to schedule/equipment changes.

When you call, be polite but firm. If the agent doesn't automatically rebook you, then say 'thank you very much I'll need to think about this" and call back.
+1. Why not ask for one of the LAX-LHR directs in F?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
Any DL converts here? 4k short of diamond MQM and way over on MQD. Long story short, I'm out...and looking.

Very little experience on AA. Haven't been on any AA metal for 9 years.

Mostly NA traveler (Canada too) and like the ubiquitous wifi of delta.

Is it worth the switch?
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by AtlanticX
Having booked a flight for March, I did wonder how the following benefit worked.

* Upgrades for Flights under 500 mile, According to AA:
for GLD, PLT and EXP.

However, when I scroll down manage my booking, where one segment is AUS-DFW, I see "request upgrade" N/A. I picked a good preferred seat for free, just to be sure, but how does the upgrade process go. Will I just get a note that my upgrade went through at T-24? Will I be able to pick a seat then, or just get a random First seat assigned?
Originally Posted by MADPhil
If you made the reservation before you achieved status then you need to call in to get the reservation relinked, however the fact that it says N/A for "request upgrade" suggests that your status is already on the reservation. Unless there is no FC of course!
Originally Posted by JY1024
I believe the quoted "Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades" is under the section that says "Here's how upgrades will work once we combine our loyalty programs in the second quarter of 2015."

I have a short flight I booked months ago for travel in April/May. It shows Upgrade Requested, and 1 (per person) Required. So I don't think the free sub-500 is implemented on the website yet.

I would call AA to verify all this, and get your status updated onto the reservation to be sure.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheSinister
How is the wifi reliability and speed on the 777-300?
Decent - but not great. I've never been on a flight where it didn't work (altho there are reports of that) but have encountered some speed/loading issues. Its a lot like gogo - it works fine for a while, then its slow.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mlsrar
Any DL converts here? 4k short of diamond MQM and way over on MQD. Long story short, I'm out...and looking.

Very little experience on AA. Haven't been on any AA metal for 9 years.

Mostly NA traveler (Canada too) and like the ubiquitous wifi of delta.

Is it worth the switch?
You might check out this thread from Summer 2014.

I cant recall the last time I was on an AA domestic flight (on AA metal) that didn't have wifi so if that's an important issue - then you should be pretty happy.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Plat,DL PM,HH Diamond
You might check out this thread from Summer 2014.

I cant recall the last time I was on an AA domestic flight (on AA metal) that didn't have wifi so if that's an important issue - then you should be pretty happy.
Thanks for the info on wifi. The thread was a bit...acrimonious and a bit short on objectivity, but I appreciate the pointer to it

Still mulling it over after a rocky start to the year with DL.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I'm looking at flying BUR to PDX. There a couple of directs but I'm not sure what the difference is:

AS 3457 Operated by SkyWest Airlines As Alaska Airlines

AA 7516 Operated by SkyWest Airlines As Alaska Airlines

Do both accrue miles/points for status qualification?
As a PLT, is the baggage policy the same?
Any other differences from flying AA metal?

Thanks
TSparky

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.