FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Guide to AA fare basis codes (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/163266-guide-aa-fare-basis-codes.html)

grouse Jul 24, 2003 7:30 pm

Guide to AA fare basis codes

Ever wanted to decipher those tricky American fare codes efficiently without having to read through the fair rules? Help me make a guide to figuring out American fare codes!

Does anyone know what the 26 means in the Y26 fare basis code (or F26, Y26UP, etc.)? I've been told it means you can only use the fare on AA, but why use "26" for this?

Here's my understanding so far. Parts may be inaccurate or not apply to all fares.

first letter: booking class (except for UP fares)

first number (other than 26): domestic: advance purchase requirement. if it is 0, same day ticketing is allowed, but waitlisting is not.
second number: minimum stay requirement
third number: maximum stay requirement

A: one-way
R: round-trip

AP: advance purchase
BIZ/BZN: instant purchase non-refundable fares for business travelers--no Saturday night stay requirement, 30-day maximum stay
FS: flight-specific
J/JFK: JFK only
N/NR: non-refundable
Z: restricted, which may mean confirmation required (possibly refundable though)
AA: Web-only fare
UP: instant upgrade into different booking class

GB: originate in GB, following number is year of fare applicability
US: originate in US

E: minimum stay requirement (Saturday unless overridden by second number)
M: Saturday stay requirement (second number becomes maximum stay)
C: next number is change fee

second position:
P: peak season
H: high season
K: shoulder season
L: low season
M: other seasonal restriction

third position:
W: Sun 12:01a-Mon 11:59a, Thu noon-Sat 11:59a
X: not on Fri or Sun
B: weekend (Thu/Fri-Mon, no Sun with X)
S: midweek (Tue-Thu or Tue-Wed, also Mon with X)
F: specific times (e.g. daily 8:45a-9:45a)
O: specific times and dates (e.g. Tue/Wed 8:45a-9:45a)

A: advance ticketing required
R: reservation confirmation required
D: ??? (appears on shorter flights)

last position:
S: fuel surcharge
G: restricted day of first travel
X: restricted day of first travel

Yes, I am a geek. I will edit this message to include your submissions/corrections. For all I know there is an official source of this information, for which I would be eternally grateful.

tw881 Jul 24, 2003 10:05 pm

Flight specific fares have FS in the fare basis

Don in LA Jan 23, 2004 7:00 pm

Just made a reservation for 3 people for AA travel next month. Going through Travelocity saved me $300 over the AA.com fare (go figure)...and one of those legs is LIT-ORD which, I believe, qualifies for the ORD07 promotion (double miles).

My question is this: Where can I find what my fare code or fare basis code is for our flights? The promotion excludes L and N fares, but I see no number anywhere that could conceivably be a fare code. Must I call AA?

Thanks.

clacko Dec 6, 2004 2:47 pm

don in la....you can see the codes on the fare/pax details screen as you book. it is on the left near top "detailed fare rules"....after that, call aa.

lbbzman Jan 12, 2005 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by grouse
A: advance ticketing required
R: reservation confirmation required

grouse,

First, let me say how great this listing has been. I've had it bookmarked for quite some time, and now that Expert Flyer is around, it gives even greater visibility into AA's fare structure!

I do have a question, though. From looking at fares I've found in EF, it appears that perhaps the A indicates one-way, and the R indicates round-trip? Is this saying the same thing as the text I've quoted above? I'm not sure the difference between "advance ticketing" and "reservation confirmation"

Thanks!
lbbzman

pb9997 Jan 12, 2005 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Don in LA
(...) Where can I find what my fare code or fare basis code is for our flights? The promotion excludes L and N fares, but I see no number anywhere that could conceivably be a fare code. Must I call AA?

Thanks.

On AA.com get your PNR, if you donīt know it, retrieve it on the reservations page.

Once with your PNR go to REFUNDS and insert PNR/Last name, once the record comes up, ask for a refund and it should produce a screen with all your ticket, fare basis, etc - DO NOT PROCEED from that point on :D

JDiver Jan 12, 2005 2:13 pm

ORD07? I get an error code when I try to register for that... Oh, I see why!!! Sorry!

You can check your fare code as recommended on FT - the "near-refund" way, or using a fee service like ExpertFlyer, using other engines to look at price-comparable fares and checking fare rules (slightly less reliable,) or call AA. If you have to upgrade the fare class, you may have to pay a change fee...

Originally Posted by Don in LA
Just made a reservation for 3 people for AA travel next month. Going through Travelocity saved me $300 over the AA.com fare (go figure)...and one of those legs is LIT-ORD which, I believe, qualifies for the ORD07 promotion (double miles).

My question is this: Where can I find what my fare code or fare basis code is for our flights? The promotion excludes L and N fares, but I see no number anywhere that could conceivably be a fare code. Must I call AA?

Thanks.

lbbzman Jan 12, 2005 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
ORD07? I get an error code when I try to register for that...

My apologies, folks. I resurrected an old thread without saying so first. The ORD07 code mentioned by Don in LA appears to be from over a year ago. I brought up the old thread b/c I had questions about grouse's original listing (which I think is fantastic, especially when combined with ExpertFlyer).

Cheers,
lbbzman

grouse Jan 12, 2005 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by lbbzman
First, let me say how great this listing has been.

Glad you liked it! :D

From looking at fares I've found in EF, it appears that perhaps the A indicates one-way, and the R indicates round-trip? Is this saying the same thing as the text I've quoted above?
It's not the same thing as what I said. Why don't you provide some example city pairs and fare basis codes to support your inference here and I'll see what I can pull up on Travelocity (can't afford Expertflyer at the moment).

I'm not sure the difference between "advance ticketing" and "reservation confirmation"
A ticket is a contract to fly you from ABC to XYZ. A confirmed reservation entitles you to a specific seat on flight 1234 on 29FEB.

Remember these are all guesses (hopefully educated) and AA is free to change what they mean at any time.

lbbzman Jan 12, 2005 6:49 pm

Why don't you provide some example city pairs and fare basis codes to support your inference here and I'll see what I can pull up on Travelocity (can't afford Expertflyer at the moment).

Here's what EF says the fares are for DFW-MCO on AA, 2/24/05:

Code:

Fare Basis Airline Booking Class Trip Type Fare
21 Fares Returned
NA14C50N  AA  N  One-Way 96.00 (USD)
NR14C50N  AA  N  Round-Trip 192.00 (USD)
GA7C50N  AA  G  One-Way 126.00 (USD)
GR7C50N  AA  G  Round-Trip 252.00 (USD)
VA3C50N  AA  V  One-Way 156.00 (USD)
VR3C50N  AA  V  Round-Trip 312.00 (USD)
WR0C50N  AA  W  Round-Trip 412.00 (USD)
WA0C50N  AA  W  One-Way 206.00 (USD)
LR0C50N  AA  L  Round-Trip 532.00 (USD)
LA0C50N  AA  L  One-Way 266.00 (USD)
YRUPMZ  AA  A  Round-Trip 602.00 (USD)
YUPMZ  AA  A  One-Way 301.00 (USD)
YUPMZ  AA  A  One-Way 301.00 (USD)
K26Z  AA  K  One-Way 419.00 (USD)
Y26  AA  Y  One-Way 599.00 (USD)
YF26UPS  AA  F  One-Way 761.00 (USD)
F26  AA  F  One-Way 849.00 (USD)
J26  AA  J  One-Way 849.00 (USD)
Y  AA  Y  One-Way 946.00 (USD)
J  AA  J  One-Way 1403.00 (USD)
F  AA  F  One-Way 1403.00 (USD)

Here's DFW-BWI, AA, 1/31/05:
Code:

Fare Basis Airline Booking Class Trip Type Fare
23 Fares Returned
QA10Q50N  AA  Q  One-Way 89.00 (USD)
NA14C50N  AA  N  One-Way 121.00 (USD)
NR14C50N  AA  N  Round-Trip 242.00 (USD)
GR7C50N  AA  G  Round-Trip 312.00 (USD)
GA7C50N  AA  G  One-Way 156.00 (USD)
VA3C50N  AA  V  One-Way 174.00 (USD)
VR3C50N  AA  V  Round-Trip 348.00 (USD)
WA0C50N  AA  W  One-Way 204.00 (USD)
WR0C50N  AA  W  Round-Trip 408.00 (USD)
LA0C50N  AA  L  One-Way 254.00 (USD)
LR0C50N  AA  L  Round-Trip 508.00 (USD)
Y26UPSP  AA  A  One-Way 254.00 (USD)
YUPMZ  AA  A  One-Way 304.00 (USD)
HA0C50N  AA  H  One-Way 354.00 (USD)
K3RMZ  AA  K  Round-Trip 858.00 (USD)
K26Z  AA  K  One-Way 449.00 (USD)
Y26  AA  Y  One-Way 699.00 (USD)
YF26UPS  AA  F  One-Way 957.00 (USD)
F26  AA  F  One-Way 999.00 (USD)
J26  AA  J  One-Way 999.00 (USD)
Y  AA  Y  One-Way 1227.00 (USD)
J  AA  J  One-Way 1795.00 (USD)
F  AA  F  One-Way 1795.00 (USD)

grouse Jan 13, 2005 4:28 am

Those all end in 50N. On Travelocity I seem to find "50N" fares mostly in markets where AA is competing with DL.

lbbzman Jan 13, 2005 6:27 am

Those all end in 50N. On Travelocity I seem to find "50N" fares mostly in markets where AA is competing with DL.

I think the C50 indicates the $50 change fee, which yes, seems to be on routes where AA has competition. I believe the "N" at the end of the code indicates "Non-refundable."

grouse Jan 13, 2005 6:48 am

You're right of course. I even had the meaning of C in there already and forgot to check it. D'oh!

I've updated the info to include A and R.

jkfb1 Jan 13, 2005 7:43 am

Please be patient with this post. I am relatively new to FT and a virgin to the Fare Basis Codes. I've always had my TA book my fares and I have been satisfied, but now she's selling her business and I need to learn. Here are a bunch of questions relating to the OP.

1 - Did you ever find out what 26 means?

2- What do the other first numbers after the A or R mean. In the above examples ther is a NA14. What does the 1 mean, from your description the 4 means minimum stay. Correct?

3- What does Z at the end mean?

4- I thought with the AA new fare codes that there are no more Saturday night stay requirements and that one day is just like another - Sunday is no different than Tuesday. Yet again your examples from EF for the future lists M - Saturday stay required.

5- Also what about the maximum Y class and F fares. I thought the Max Y for one way was $499. In the first example EF lists 946.

6 - Now for what will seem like a really dumb question - If I find all this info on EF what do I do with it? Let's use your first example so I see that there is a one way fare to MCO for 96.00 how do I find it and book it on line?

Thanks so much for any help.

grouse Jan 13, 2005 8:38 am

Originally Posted by jkfb1
1 - Did you ever find out what 26 means?

It means that the ticket is not endorsable to another airline like a straight Y fare would be. As to why 26, someone told me that it is a remnant of some ancient AA fare simplification scheme of their own. I'm really more curious about this than anything else. ;)

2- What do the other first numbers after the A or R mean. In the above examples ther is a NA14. What does the 1 mean, from your description the 4 means minimum stay. Correct?
My best guest is that NA14C50N means:

N: fare basis code
A: round trip fare (maybe)
14: 14-day advance purchase requirement
C50: USD50 change fee
N: non-refundable

3- What does Z at the end mean?
Presumably that it is a "restricted" fare? The K26Z listed is a refundable restricted fare. The difference between its rules and those of Y26 (other than the booking class) is that for the K26Z you have to have a confirmed reservation and open returns are not allowed.

4- I thought with the AA new fare codes that there are no more Saturday night stay requirements and that one day is just like another - Sunday is no different than Tuesday. Yet again your examples from EF for the future lists M - Saturday stay required.
Well it must mean something else here! :) I notice there are seasonal and flight applicability restrictions on that YUPMZ. That's probably what the M denotes.

This is not an exact science. You still have to read the fare rules to figure out the fare rules. But if you can partially figure out what the rules are just by looking at the basis code, it is a big help.

5- Also what about the maximum Y class and F fares. I thought the Max Y for one way was $499. In the first example EF lists 946.
AA said that their max Y OW fare systemwide would be $499? When? Anyway, the Y26 is as good as Y *except* that you cannot use it to fly on an airline other than AA. No carrier has ever said that there will be a maximum charge to buy a ticket from them after which they will pay another carrier to fly you.

6 - Now for what will seem like a really dumb question - If I find all this info on EF what do I do with it? Let's use your first example so I see that there is a one way fare to MCO for 96.00 how do I find it and book it on line?
Find an itinerary that meets the rules of the fares and has appropriate availability and book it on aa.com or wherever.