Options for China on short notice?

Old Dec 10, 2003, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Options for China on short notice?

Trying to prepare for a possible opportunity to travel to China next year (wife may go on business, want to join her at the end for a few days of sight-seeing). I've already figured out that UA/*A is a much better choice than AA/1W for Asia. Still, I want to try to be loyal and fly 1W if possible, so have a few questions.

1) Is PEK the only mainland destination served by 1W? (found a map somewhere on AA.com that says so)

2) Are JAL and Cathay the only choices for Asia? (seems so unless i'm blind)

3) With only about two weeks of notice, will I have to rob a small bank to go? How's award availability?

4) Since HKG is in Asia 2, is any Cathay award considered Asia 2? (PEK is Asia 1 I believe)

5) Having a choice of leaving from SFO or ORD, which is more preferable?

Any other comments/suggestions are very much appreciated, thanks!

[This message has been edited by maximizer (edited Dec 10, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by maximizer (edited Dec 11, 2003).]
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:19 pm

Call AA immediately for award availability.
If you give us your dates maybe we can find something or tell you the prices are crazy.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:20 pm

Where specifically do you want to go in China?
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:30 pm

Location: Clarks Summit, PA, USA - AA Platinum, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Dear Maximizer,

I just got back from China yesterday on Cathay Pacific thru HKG.

They give you full mileage credit on AA, 7,247 miles, since they do not have any restricted economy fares.

If you can fly Business class it would be better. The flight is very long, and the service is so so.

Enjoy the miles!

------------------
Old Dec 10, 2003, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by benoit:
Call AA immediately for award availability.
If you give us your dates maybe we can find something or tell you the prices are crazy.
</font>
I don't know the dates yet (or even where exactly her business would take her - anybody know where automotive industry is located?). Just want to get some general/preliminary info in case I have to make a quick decision.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Priority Club Plat
AA codeshare on China Eastern on a 6-times a week LAX-PVG-PEK flight. On the other day, it's LAX-PVD with a stop somewhere...

[I was trying to find more information on China Eastern's website, but it is the worst site ever made, and even I read Chinese, I can't figure it out. THREE pop-ups even before the first page is loaded...]

[This message has been edited by rkkwan (edited Dec 10, 2003).]
Old Dec 10, 2003, 6:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I was looking into going from JFK to Shanghai on AA a couple months ago. I ended up UA but when checking AA routed me on AA from JFK-NRT then a flight on ANA to Shanghai. You wouldnt get miles the whole way but the NRT-PVG part is relatively small. Something like that might be a possibility especially given that AA has very competitive fares to NRT and you would be able to upgrade on the transpac segment. Not sure about AA flights from the west coast to NRT however.
Old Dec 10, 2003, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rkkwan:
AA codeshare on China Eastern on a 6-times a week LAX-PVG-PEK flight. On the other day, it's LAX-PVD with a stop somewhere... </font>
Hmm, I tried LAX-PVG on AA.com for mid-February, and it says no flights found...

Edited: searching by schedule lists the flights, but then says "unable to obtain fare, call Web Services". Maybe I'll call...

[This message has been edited by maximizer (edited Dec 10, 2003).]
Old Dec 11, 2003, 1:13 am

This topic comes up occasionally and the verdict is always the same: NH, UA, JL, NW.... but never OW without more money and hassel. The MU codeshare is reasonably convenient, but it's usally pretty tough to book without paying ~$200 more than an MU ticket. Plus, MU isn't very pleasent. BTW, for the person that asked, MU stops in Harbin on the return from Shanghai on Mondays; not sure about the westbound schedule.

As for other options, UA is the clear winner especially if you have status because of the Shanghai flight and the ease of upgrading. Plus, lots of consolidators are able to book cheap tickets with open returns (not the case on NW).

JL and NH are both pretty good (I've just started flying the former, and have been pleased); bad food in Y, but lots of room and slick entertainment.

As for NW, I tried to make them my airline this year, but just couldn't handle the experience (packed flights, surly FAs, tight pitch, inedible food...) so I'm outta there.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:05 am

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I agree that UA is probably the best in this region. However, be advised that from what I have read here and experienced, SFO-PVG is by no means an easy upgrade. I have been a 1K for about 5 years, flying about 80% internationally on UA and my recent PVG-SFO flight was the first time I have not had an upgrade clear prior to boarding and only the second time I havent had an upgrade clear more than a fews out. As a 1K on an M class ticket they came on the plane and rescued me from coach prior to take-off. Im guessing for a non-1K an upgrade on that route is out of the question on most days.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GadgetFreak:
SFO-PVG is by no means an easy upgrade. </font>
I wouldn't get too alarmed. Methinks the present spike in demand is seasonal (last year was tight in Nov/Dec also, though I still made it back to SFO in XF on Dec 21). One reason I'm not worried about the spring is that the new fare sales ($400-$500 to the West Coast and $500 to $600 to the East Coast) are very good across the board (thereby implying excess capacity). As for Beijing, demand doesn't usually pick up until around May --&gt; lots of room to stretch till then.

[This message has been edited by moondog (edited Dec 11, 2003).]
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by maximizer:
4) Since HKG is in Asia 2, is any Cathay award considered Asia 2? (PEK is Asia 1 I believe)</font>

Anyone have an answer for this question?

North America to PEK on CX ? Asia 1 or Asia 2?
Old Dec 11, 2003, 6:51 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Mad4Miles:

Anyone have an answer for this question?

North America to PEK on CX ? Asia 1 or Asia 2?
</font>
I think the problem is that there is no AA-partner service between HKG and PEK. JL would work though. However, JL doesn't cover hotel costs on forced overnights for award tickets (even J/F) -- I think you can do West Coast PEK without overnights in either direction.

Old Dec 11, 2003, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by moondog:
I think the problem is that there is no AA-partner service between HKG and PEK.
</font>

Dec 5th CX started hkg-pek service.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 8:33 am

You're right! Not dragon air, actual Cathay Pacific. Nice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.