Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone know the best way to get to Norwalk, CT?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Anyone know the best way to get to Norwalk, CT?

Hi there - I have to go to Norwalk, CT (would fly from SNA) what is the closet airport that AA would fly into? or is it best to fly into NY and just drive down? any help appreciated, thanks
Old Oct 13, 2003, 11:51 am

I believe Westchester/White Plains.

------------------
United 1k &MM, American Plat &1MM, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond & Mar Gold
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
White Plains (HPN) would be the closest, but driving from LGA would not be too bad. Norwalk is approximately a 45 minute drive from LGA and a 25 minute drive from HPN, but traffic could add to this, especially if you are doing it during the evening rush hour.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 12:03 pm

Vase,

While HPN (White Plains) is physically the closest airport, it has less service and generally higher airfares (though rental car pricing is typically a little less than the New York airports). I would look at LaGuarida (LGA), Kennedy (JFK) or even Newark (EWR) for lower airfares.

If you don't want to rent a car, you have several choices. There are multiple limosine services that go straight to Norwalk (the most famous is "Connecticut Limosine"). If you fly into EWR (and have some spare time) you can even take the monorail from the airport to the newark train station, then hop an Amtrak train all the way up to Norwalk.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Location: Orange County (SNA) CA, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold
Thanks for your help guys, sounds like flying into LGA is the best bet and then driving to Norwalk - especially as the $212 round trip fares from SNA are still valid,thanks once again
Old Oct 13, 2003, 1:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IFlySJC:
Vase,

While HPN (White Plains) is physically the closest airport, it has less service and generally higher airfares (though rental car pricing is typically a little less than the New York airports). I would look at LaGuarida (LGA), Kennedy (JFK) or even Newark (EWR) for lower airfares.

If you don't want to rent a car, you have several choices. There are multiple limosine services that go straight to Norwalk (the most famous is "Connecticut Limosine"). If you fly into EWR (and have some spare time) you can even take the monorail from the airport to the newark train station, then hop an Amtrak train all the way up to Norwalk.

</font>
it can easily be 2 hrs to drive from EWR to Norwalk, and the dreaded Cross Bronx Expressway might be even less cooperative than that. Amtrak? puh-lease-- unless you want to wait a long time for the right sort of train, you'd have to change to a local at Stamford anyway and wait yet again. and once you arrive, well, Connecticut is not the place to rely on for good taxi service.

LGA and HPN are the sane choices.

Old Oct 14, 2003, 5:56 am

I also agree with LGA. I worked in Norwalk for many years and commuted in and out of LGA all the time. Under an hour in normal traffic conditions and under 45 minutes with no traffic. BTW if you only need a car to get there...you might just rent one way and drop at Avis which has an office in the Doubletree right on the post road in Norwalk across from the Priceline building.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL SM, HH Dia
I prefer HPN. However, if you are renting a car, be sure to get good directions, particularly after dark. To avoid some traffic, you can even use the Merritt Parkway and stay off the 95.
Old Oct 15, 2003, 2:29 pm
JS
Suspended

Programs: DL Gold Medallion; UA Premier Executive; WN sub-CP; AA sub-Gold
What about Hartford, CT? SNA-BDL should be cheap, and you won't have to deal with New York at all.

------------------
"Yippie-kay-yay, Mr. Falcon!" -- John McClane, Die Hard II As Seen on TV
Old Oct 15, 2003, 4:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JS:
What about Hartford, CT? SNA-BDL should be cheap, and you won't have to deal with New York at all.

</font>
it's a longer [and unpleasant] drive from BDL which is practically in MA..
Old Oct 15, 2003, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Speaking from experience :-)

LGA is the best airport for us in Norwalk. HPN is closer, but not good schedules.

For SNA, if it were me I'd do the non-stop JFK-SNA-JFK. Just drove up from JFK this afternoon (leaving JFK at 4:30), and got to my home in Norwalk at 5:35. Not bad for rush hour traffic.

Forget about BDL - 1:20 drive to Norwalk, and you'd have to connect in order to fly there.

Do the nonstop to JFK - the time savings more than makes up for the extra 15 minutes (over driving from LGA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.