Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"I'm Sorry Sir, Your Record Hasn't Been Activated"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2003, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

"I'm Sorry Sir, Your Record Hasn't Been Activated"

At JFK, my wife and I checked our luggage and received boarding passes in moments at the front counter for our flight to LGB. I accommodated the Mrs. in F by redeeming 40,000 miles. I paid for coach and upgraded using a VIPOW.

Five days later in LGB, after 10 minutes of struggling at the computer with my VIPOW, the counter agent advised that our record hadn't been "activated". Only after I cited the F seat assignments I'd been holding for two and a half months was she forthcoming with our boarding passes.

Record not "activated"? Huh?
Old Jan 31, 2003, 8:39 pm

Perhaps he means your reservation wasn't ticketed? I had a similar incident recently with NW -- I had purchased my ticket to MNL months in advance and upgraded with miles. But when I tried to check-in I was told my reservation wasn't ticketed - somehow it was overlooked.
Old Jan 31, 2003, 9:04 pm

...Five days later in LGB, after 10 minutes of struggling at the computer with my VIPOW, the counter agent advised that our record hadn't been "activated".

In my experience, when upgrading a reservation with a VIPOW you can only check-in with an agent as you must surrender the VIPOW. Perhaps the counter agent's terminology of "activated" means the record is locked from self check-in.

- Craiger
Old Feb 1, 2003, 9:42 am
Original Poster

For what it's worth, I purchased my e-ticket, arranged my upgrade and received my seat assignments over the telephone through the EXP desk. I received an emailed confirmation within a few hours. Any AA lurkers out there who can explain what happened?
Old Feb 1, 2003, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
A couple of years ago, on a return flight RST-ORD-DFW, when I went to check in, the counter aagent told me that my reservation had not been "closed", she could see the reservation, but it wasn't confirmed and ORD-DFW was sold out. My credit card had been charged and my outbound flight had no troubles. She blamed my travel agent, at which point I pointed out to her that it was booked thru AA's own 800 revervation desk.

Took about 20 minutes of polite insistence with the supervisor there, but I eventually got my seat back.
Old Feb 1, 2003, 8:56 pm

I had a similar thing happen to me. I used MX miles for an award ticket for my mother from MEL to JFK on UA. I received the ticket by express post but UAL.com was telling me that it had not been ticketed. I posted a question in the UA forum, and was told to inform UA. She was going for a wedding and I didn't want any screw ups. I called UA, they added in the ticket number, and there were no probs.

goodo
Old Feb 2, 2003, 7:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
I just had a similar experience with JFK-LGB-JFK using VIPOWs. No problem leaving JFK, but when I checked in at LGB the agent didn't have a clue. My record was OK but she had my wallet (with my ID), my VPIOW and my boarding pass on her desk and started doing all sorts of paper work and keyboard banging. Then, she asks what my last name is....with 3 pieces of docs with it on them in front of her. Duh?

One thing I noticed is that she was not an AA employee. AT LGB they have a mix of AA employees and "rent-an-angents" with thrid-party ID. Stay away from them.
Old Feb 2, 2003, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Inlanikai, we probably had the same agent at LGB. Let's hope AA is lurking and fixes this apparent personnel training issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.