Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curiosity: 737-800 to Hawaii?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2002, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by yyzflyer:
Perhaps B747-437B could help with the technical details?</font>
or flipside. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by yyzflyer (edited 06-29-2002).]
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:15 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Using 2-engine aircraft registered in the U.S. to fly over the open ocean became a hot issue when Boeing began shipping the 757 and 767 in 1982. The 757 and 767 were much cheaper to operate than the 3- and 4-engine aircraft that had been used over oceans. (I don't remember that any U.S. airline used an A300 on Europe routes in the 1970s.)

The first set of special rules for twins was EROPS (Extended Range Operation) in 1985. These rules were replaced with ETOPS in 1988.
ETOPS is theoretically not the only way to get FAA approval to operate twins over oceans at more than the 60 minute diversion limit, but I don't know of any others.

ETOPS is important to airlines because it lets them fly a shorter route to the destination. Also, an airline using an ETOPS aircraft over ocean has an advantage over an airline that doesn't because flight time will be shorter.

But if you ask an open-ocean pilot about thw wisdom of 180 and 207-minute diversion limits, you may get an earful.
Old Jun 30, 2002, 11:18 am

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chuck till:
Using 2-engine aircraft registered in the U.S. to fly over the open ocean became a hot issue when Boeing began shipping the 757 and 767 in 1982. The 757 and 767 were much cheaper to operate than the 3- and 4-engine aircraft that had been used over oceans. (I don't remember that any U.S. airline used an A300 on Europe routes in the 1970s.)

The first set of special rules for twins was EROPS (Extended Range Operation) in 1985. These rules were replaced with ETOPS in 1988. ETOPS is theoretically not the only way to get FAA approval to operate twins over oceans at more than the 60 minute diversion limit, but I don't know of any others.

ETOPS is important to airlines because it lets them fly a shorter route to the destination. Also, an airline using an ETOPS aircraft over ocean has an advantage over an airline that doesn't because flight time will be shorter. In the case of LAX-HNL, there are no diversion airports, so ETOPS is the only way to operate a twin.

But if you ask an open-ocean pilot about thw wisdom of 180 and 207-minute diversion limits, you may get an earful.
</font>
Old Jun 30, 2002, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA/UA/BA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MAH4546:
Lufthansa's daily 737-700 BBJ service between Newark and DUsseldorf has already started.

</font>
It's operated by PrivatAir, on behalf of Lufthansa. Started mid-June. Pretty good fares on it too, by the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.