Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

MCE Purchased Seat Reassigned to Non-Existent Wheelchair Passenger

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MCE Purchased Seat Reassigned to Non-Existent Wheelchair Passenger

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 3:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by captiveguru
There is no lie here. The "Main Cabin Extra product (that I purchased) was not received.
Not quite. You got a MCE seat, just not the same MCE seat as the one you purchased.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL exDM MM
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Actually it says "flight and seat change" among other, irrelevant, situations.

I think that, as a matter of good business policy, if AA is going to charge a fee for a specific seat assignment (and the fee is only levied upon selecting the specific seat), then the fee should be refunded if the passenger is moved out of that seat by AA. If they want to market MCE as a separate class, where seat assignments within the class of service are not guaranteed, then they can do that. They shouldn't be able to have their cake and eat it too.
I agree and appreciate the commentary in this thread. I especially like the comment about forgoing an UG due to the lack of a window seat.

The airlines need to understand that we all place different values on different seats. Example: I would not pay $18 for a middle MCE.

Did I mention that I did not sit in 8A (my reassigned seat)? When the door closed I moved to 8F. 8E was not occupied.

I traveled LBB-DFW-ATL-MCO today (DL on the last 2 legs. Yes, I got the UG). Lots of time to think about the customer service implications. I can see that accommodating a wheelchair passenger in 9D (and his companions in 9EF), might cause a "cascade of changes." I am pretty sure the guy in 8D (the seat I choose and paid for), said he came from 13, but he could have said a different row. The point is when a customer doesn't get what he purchased and it would cost NOTHING for the business to make it right/better they need to do it.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:23 pm

Did I mention that I did not sit in 8A (my reassigned seat)? When the door closed I moved to 8F. 8E was not occupied.
You didn't , but that isn't relevent though to whether you were assigned a MCE seat

The point is when a customer doesn't get what he purchased and it would cost NOTHING for the business to make it right/better they need to do it.
You are arguing that it should give you $18 for being given a different seat of the same category; that does cost money
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You are arguing that it should give you $18 for being given a different seat of the same category; that does cost money
No. It causes a loss in potential revenue; it does not cost AA any money.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by Antarius
No. It causes a loss in potential revenue; it does not cost AA any money.
AA paying out $18 costs AA $18 plus any administrative costs

The OP claimed in the request for a refund that he was due it due to not receiving the product; the MCE product was received, just that it was about 35" further to the port side of the aeroplane
Old Sep 10, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA paying out $18 costs AA $18 plus any administrative costs

The OP claimed in the request for a refund that he was due it due to not receiving the product; the MCE product was received
AA reimbursing $18 costs $0 + administrative costs. The latter is likely fixed as well.

You are correct that MCE was paid for and received. That said, if the OP was moved for no reason, it wouldn't hurt AA much to reimburse the $18. Again, can vs should.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xero
Where did you wind up sitting? Were you in another MCE seat or were you bumped to regular coach.

According to this: http://www.aa.com/i18n/fragments/mer...ExtraTerms.jsp

Seems to indicate that you are entitled to a refund in both cases.

The page also indicates that a refund can be requested by visiting www.aa.com/refund.
FWIW, this is also in the T&C:
American Airlines reserves the right to move any customer who has purchased a Preferred Seat or Main Cabin Extra from any seat for operational or security reasons. This includes customers who do not meet exit row eligibility requirements. The customer may request a refund of the Preferred Seat at aa.com/refunds
This does not explicitly exempt the situation when you are moved from one preferred/MCE seat to another.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:35 pm

I'm confused about the "unlimited legroom"?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skylady
I'm confused about the "unlimited legroom"?
8D lines up with the aisle in FC. There is really no seat in front of you. Since others are being technical... The leg room is not, technically, "unlimited. The cockpit door is about 30 feet from your seat. Many do not like this seat because you get hit by those boarding after you.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

The no-cost, customer-sensitive solution was to offer me a seat in First. Again, there were at least 5 empty seats.

Since AA did not offer me a product that was equal to or better than the product I purchased I would like my $18 back. Antarius is correct; lost revenue due to not providing the product paid for.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 5:58 pm

The no-cost, customer-sensitive solution was to offer me a seat in First. Again, there were at least 5 empty seats.

Since AA did not offer me a product that was equal to or better than the product I purchased I would like my $18 back. Antarius is correct; lost revenue due to not providing the product paid for.
Why on earth would the airline move a passenger from economy to 1st when there were plenty of seats available in economy regardless of availability in 1st class.

If they did need to reassign a passenger and there was no seat in the same cabin available, then I can understand upgrading vs downgrading, but not when there is availability in the paid for cabin

You DID receive the product you paid for. MCE is not seat 8D but all the seats in the MCE section of the aeroplane

Seat assignments are not guaranteed
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
There were 5 empty seats in First.
????

Its been ages since I've been on an AA flight w/5 empty F seats. What was the route?

Last edited by bdemaria; Sep 10, 2013 at 6:29 pm
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:21 pm

8D lines up with the aisle in FC. There is really no seat in front of you. Since others are being technical... The leg room is not, technically, "unlimited. The cockpit door is about 30 feet from your seat. Many do not like this seat because you get hit by those boarding after you.
Aha! Feet in the aisle! Please let us know that you would move them when people are walking by!
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP might be more successful in getting some miles for the inconvenience rather than a check for the fee.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
AA 1468 LBB-DFW today.
Bagging 8D was not a chance event. I wanted that seat. I stalked that seat using ExpertFlyer. When it came available I chose that seat. I invested time and money to enhance my in flight experience.
seriously, you invested that much time and effort for a flight of less than an hour (scheduled as 1:05) ? I did DFW-LBB today, and I'm returning LBB-DFW tomorrow. Even on the EMB 145, the FA only had time to do ice water instead of regular bevs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.