Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Seat assignment on AA codeshare on RJ / Royal Jordanian, related issues (+ tips)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat assignment on AA codeshare on RJ / Royal Jordanian, related issues (+ tips)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2013, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold

My two daughters (12, 14) and I are flyingon AA from JFK-AMM this month. Two of us are platinum. Apparently we can't choose seats, or even get a seat assignment, so I called up the platinum desk and was told it was not possible to choose seats and I had to wait for the day of travel. Any thought if there is a small chance to allow us to get our seat assignments.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 7:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
call rj maybe?

i would think that aa could ask for rj for seats.....they have for me when on codeshares....
Old Mar 3, 2013, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by clacko
call rj maybe?

i would think that aa could ask for rj for seats.....they have for me when on codeshares....
I would think they could call as well, if their computer didn't let them do it. But it's possible RJ's policy does not allow for advance seat assignment even for AA Platinum/OneWorld Sapphire.
But definitely try calling RJ as well.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP HH GOLD EY GOLD
Originally Posted by ijgordon
I would think they could call as well, if their computer didn't let them do it. But it's possible RJ's policy does not allow for advance seat assignment even for AA Platinum/OneWorld Sapphire.
But definitely try calling RJ as well.
Seat assignments don't hold good at RJ (technically not guaranteed at any airline but RJ is notorious), I requested them as EXP and till day of departure I was in assigned seats but when BP printed I had different seats, no explanation given and this is my limited sample of 8 RT's.

OP did you try at rj.com using RJ's record locator?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:21 am
Original Poster

No I did not. But I will. Is calling the AA desk the only way to get the RJ record locator? Or is there a way to find it in the reservation I currently have from AA? I find this frustrating. Are there any benefits that RJ will give to a One World/Sapphire member because if this is stripped then it seems likely other benefits could be passed over.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.
I was able to choose my seats flying on LAN (using an AA flight number and record locator).

I thought the most logical way would be to call the operating airline, LAN. But they directed me to AA res whom were able to allocate my chosen seats right away.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 3galsontour
No I did not. But I will. Is calling the AA desk the only way to get the RJ record locator? Or is there a way to find it in the reservation I currently have from AA? .
If you have an itinerary email from AA, the RJ record locator is included (along with aircraft type, flying time and terminal info, none of which appear on the E-ticket email.)
For this reason, I always request an itinerary email, in addition to the E-ticket email.

Happy Travels.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

I am looking at my itinerary, not the email ticket, right now and I don't see any of that info. I did however get the record locator for RJ from AA when I called them. On the RJ website I see that there is one flight (out of 4) that they have assigned us seats. That is the only itinerary that I can look at seat selections. The rest I am frozen out of. Apparently this happens so it is frustrating to think Sapphire gets very little in terms of service in this respect.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 1:36 pm

Not sure what "itinerary" you are looking at, but see the text below pasted from the AA email itinerary. These emails have this in the subject header:
AA eTDS Itinerary Document
Date: 21 APR 13 - SUNDAY
Flight : Royal Jordanian 110 AIRBUS A321
Departure: MADRID 12:35 PM TERMINAL 4S 4HR 55MIN
Arrival: AMMAN 6:30 PM TERMINAL 1 REF: XXXXXX NON-STOP
Name: XXX/XXX MR SEAT 2A BUSINESS FF#: AA-XXX LUNCH
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NDFan
Not sure what "itinerary" you are looking at, but see the text below pasted from the AA email itinerary. These emails have this in the subject header:
The OP stated that she is booked on an AA*/RJ codeshare. Your example is from a flight booked on an RJ prime and therefore does not apply to her situation.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by hillrider
The OP stated that she is booked on an AA*/RJ codeshare. Your example is from a flight booked on an RJ prime and therefore does not apply to her situation.
Of course OP could call AA and get the RJ record locator.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course OP could call AA and get the RJ record locator.
OP is PLT. Calling AA may imply holding for some time for a piece of information that ought to be available online and retrievable in 30 seconds.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:07 pm

Sorry: as hillrider pointed out, you will not get this info on an AA codeshare flight, operated by RJ. Guess the only solution, as others have said, is to call AA for RJ locator, and then call or email RJ for seat assignment. Actually you could just email RJ with your name, date and flight number, and they can find your record; ask them for seat assignments at the same time. I have had quick response from RJ for seat assignments using:
[email protected]

Happy Travels.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

I have called AA and retrieved the RJ record locator. I have called RJ with the record locator and they declared that only AA can change the seats. Then I called AA to follow up as per RJ's advice. According to AA that is hogwash and the AA rep told me specifically to take it up with a supervisor at RJ. The AA man was surprised during the call because he did get seats on my second flight - for about 30 seconds- and then they disappeared. I guess I find it strange that AA can sell a flight and be rendered powerless to follow through on a seat assignment. I also tried to go online with the locator but it indicated I would only be able to change seats by speaking with a representative.

Thank you for the advice but RJ seems determined to hold onto the seats for a long time. Not happy at having to actually go to the airport earlier then usual but maybe at the 24 hr mark something will change.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:50 pm

No point in trying to get seat assignments for RJ. If you get one, its as good as vapor -- well not that good.

Good that you have your RJ PNR. Cute that it is a digit shorter!

Be sure to phone RJ 24 hours before flight to reconfirm. Be prepared to be on hold up to an hour or so... yes, I don't jest. Failure to do so will result in cancellation without DB if the flight oversells and reaccomodation only as standby. Do this on the return too. Reconfirming with AA won't do the trick.

NYC : 212-949-0050
AMM: 6 5100000

In Amman you won't have to wait on the phone long. You can also visit the ticket office at the 7th Circle (near the Safeway).

Best way between airport and the city is to take the RJ bus to the 7th Circle, then taxi from there. Taxis are generally honest.

Food options at AMM airport are poor.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.