Search

Landing with the Fire Trucks at LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2000, 2:11 pm
GB
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Landing with the Fire Trucks at LHR

About ten days ago I was on an AA flight from LHR to JFK. We were about an hour out of LHR when the captain announces that a light in the cockpit shows one of the engine thrust reversers is not locked into position. He said he didn't want to attempt the ocenanic crossing and that we would have to burn off fuel before we attempted to return back to LHR to land. We circled for about 45 minutes and he came back on to say that we were still so heavy (300,000 pounds overweight) that we would have to land extremely fast and that he would ask to have the runway cleared and fire trucks positioned in case the brakes caught fire trying to stop the overloaded plane.

In the end the landing was very fast but we all survived (the Fire Chief at LHR drives a Land Rover Discovery Fire Truck).

I never complained to AA, but they voluntarilly sent me a letter stating they would deposit 9,000 FF miles into my account for the scare. (I am Exec.Plat).
Old May 13, 2000, 3:25 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I think that pilots in general are *very* wary of any kind of malfunction having to do with the thrust reversers.

Recall the total loss of the Lauda Air aircraft (and passengers) several years ago that was attributed to INFLIGHT DEPLOYMENT OF THRUST REVERSERS. How scary is that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.