Wiki Posts
Search

BA Fuel Surcharge USDOT Complaint

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver | AA LT Gold | EY Silver | Marriott LT Titanium
BA Fuel Surcharge USDOT Complaint

It appears somebody has taken the time to draft and submit a complaint regarding BA's 'fuel surcharges' (read: co-pays) to the US Department of Transportation.

Our very own hillrider has documented this well in his post on the BA forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ot-filing.html

I know many of us here feel burned by BA redemptions, especially since we didn't have to pay these surcharges prior to the ATI/JBA with BA. At the very least, it is an incredibly questionable business practice by BA on many fronts. If you agree (and I know many here do) and want this complaint to gain traction, take a few minutes to submit a comment in support of this complaint: http://www.regulations.gov/#!submitC...2013-0025-0001

Worst case scenario, nothing happens. Best case, BA is forced to reform some of its YQ related practices.

Mods: I posted this here because I think it is highly relevant to AA flyers. If you feel that the BA forum thread is sufficient, feel free to delete this.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:33 pm

About time! This deserves our support

I'll send supporting comments!

These so called fuel surcharges are nothing more than a scam.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat (Lifetime Gold), Hilton Honors Plata, Avis PFD
I added a comment sharing my experience and supporting the complaint. So irritating that this "YQ tax" is hidden and, IMO, punitive.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Completely agree.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:51 pm

YQ on award tickets is pure banditry.

Fuel is part of the basic product and charging for it seperately in any context is absolute nonsense.

I am adding my support to the complaint.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:37 pm

Weren't there also cases where the YQ could be different on the outbound versus return, or the YQ on an award is different than YQ on a cash fare?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Carolinian
YQ on award tickets is pure banditry.

Fuel is part of the basic product and charging for it seperately in any context is absolute nonsense.

I am adding my support to the complaint.
It would be like McD adding a grease fee for people who buys fries.

Fuel is a necessary part of flying. The price should be included in the ticket price. And, if BA doesn't believe it is a part of the price, they should refund it when people don't fly.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I added a comment. Hopefully this gains some traction.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
Weren't there also cases where the YQ could be different on the outbound versus return, or the YQ on an award is different than YQ on a cash fare?
Well, a plane could use more fuel in one direction due to wind speed, flight path, rotation of the planet, etc
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
BA charges more for the return from the UK to the US because the government has imposed 'exit' charges which are supposed to do something, but I have forgotten what. I just know that no matter who you book with, the fees are higher to return than to go over. Having said that, I will not book BA for a return because the fees are ridiculous.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a companion complaint in regards to fuel (or just plain) surcharges as it regards to tickets sold by AA: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ot-filing.html

That's worthy of support as well.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP
added mine as well.

I had two BA flights for an award. The taxes with YQ surcharge came around $900 and they are in COACH.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM, NYC-MetroCard,
I too support the complaint. It is apparent that BA has no clear (published) policies regarding fuel surcharge and basically uses award tickets to bump their revenue. Fuel costs are part of ticket price!
Old Feb 7, 2013, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by autopilot
I too support the complaint. It is apparent that BA has no clear (published) policies regarding fuel surcharge and basically uses award tickets to bump their revenue. Fuel costs are part of ticket price!
BA isn't supposed to be charging fuel surcharges on revenue/award tickets for flights ex-Brazil due to govt regulations. But it decided to flout those laws and charge YQ on their award tickets as there is no clear rule on this.

Other airlines like LH, AF, KL, SQ do not charge YQ even on their award tickets. So why does BA think they are above everyone else?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
sent my rejoinder against surcharges.. kudos to the guy/guys who filed the complaint!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.