Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
In the above screenshot tt's ridiculous that the flights aren't ordered by departure time.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: AA,AS,UA,Hyatt,Hilton
Originally Posted by dw
I believe if you expand the box for additional flight details, the fare class is listed.
Right you are.

On the old site it was a plus sign with the words "flight details" while now it's just a plus sign.

Thanks

Last edited by Top Tier; Dec 12, 2012 at 11:47 pm
Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:57 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
Folks... shhhhh. this is a secret. It's still AA, only better.

You should receive an email shortly from AA with a full why it's better demo.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:01 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Accordingly to Gary Leff's blog, this isn't just about the new booking interface... but AA considers this a radical rethinking of how fares are sold. It'll be interesting to see if this expands to other airlines.

What IS a positive is that AA hasn't UNBUNDLED anything from the cheapest economy fares. Compare this to Delta, who a few months ago introduced new fares in markets where they compete against Spirit, which don't include advanced seat assignments, even for elites.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by andreirublev
First thing I thought of too. I do like the option of paying a small fee for a no-change-fee fare rather than having the huge gulf of price between deep discount and full Y (or risk one or more $150 fees). Typically I have held off until closer-in to book flights when I was relatively uncertain about moving up/back a day or two, but I would go ahead and do one of these "Essential" fares in advance to protect against the cheap fare buckets selling out instead.
If you pay for the "no change fee" on AA, does that work like WN, where you basically get a credit, good for a year? You can change destinations, and even use the credit on multiple trips, or combine credits towards a single trip?

Or does it just waive the fee if changing dates and times on the same origin/destination?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:06 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
New AA.com Booking Interface

Just got an email from AA with the word SECRET in the subject line. For a moment there I thought it was about the new livery.

But no, it's just a new booking interface. and it give you some options when you are booking, I especially like the option packet that eliminates the change fee as I have started to change my tickets quite often as of late.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/new.jsp
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I just got the email and also saw the free change fee. Is this for EXPs only?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by swag
If you pay for the "no change fee" on AA, does that work like WN, where you basically get a credit, good for a year? You can change destinations, and even use the credit on multiple trips, or combine credits towards a single trip?

Or does it just waive the fee if changing dates and times on the same origin/destination?
Conjecture, but I'm guessing that their fares in that bucket...

Nope.. So, the cheap fare and the Choice Plus both show O to me. It must be a different fare basis, but still O, with a $0 change. If I had to guess.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:10 am

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Horrible... hanging on trying load business fares... can't see parts of the screen b/c others overlap. I mean - this is an embarrasment.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I did a dummy booking and found it somewhat confusing. They have a line along the top with "Jan 10 Jan 11", etc., but on the selected day they spell out the month "January". That doesn't leave enough room for the calendar date. "January 1" instead of "January 12".

Thus, I cannot see the exact date I'm booking, only the preceeding and following dates.

There's other places where text overwrites itself.

The column headers (Choice, etc) are difficult to follow. Better if they boxed in the columns or made them alternating colors.

Let's hope they address these bugs soon.

Added: I'm using IE9 Windows 7.

Last edited by QueenOfCoach; Dec 12, 2012 at 9:29 am
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I just got the email and also saw the free change fee. Is this for EXPs only?
I don't think so. I am LT Gold and see the same thing.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, HYATT DIA
Well, there are some fares classes, the "Choice Plus" which states no change fee, so anyone can buy that fare and get that perk. However, my email seemed to say that as an elite that there are no change fees period. I guess we will say. It is a bit confusing but it seems that they are trying a new pricing, marketing approach.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Did a dummy check BOS-NRT RT.

Departure: $1600 (BOS-NRT)
Return: $259 (NRT-BOS)

Yeah, okay......fix it.

Spock Seat
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
I don't really care for it... and I am having trouble locating where you can sort by price, travel time, arrival time, departure time, etc. Very frustrating.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
It is going to take some time for me to get used to it. My initial reaction is negative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.