Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 13, 2012, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner).

AA is now offering three types of Economy fares via AA.com:

Choice (fare basis code ends in 1) = Lowest Fare, earn AA miles
Choice Essential (fare basis code ends in 2) = Change Fee (depends on detailed fare rules), 1 Checked Bag, Group 1 Boarding, Earn AA miles
Choice Plus (fare basis code ends in 7) = above Choice Essential benefits plus 50% Bonus RDM, Same-Day Flight Change, Same-Day Standby, Premium Beverage, No Change Fee, Earns base miles plus 50% bonus miles
Business/First as Choice Plus, plus 3 checked bags, No change fee (domestic only), priority baggage delivery at carousel, 50% class of service bonus miles

(Updated 1 Mar 2015)

See this page at aa.com for bundled services.

AmericanAirlines has posted some comments and clarifications in Post 144.

Originally Posted by hillrider
(1Mar 2015) The fee for the "choice plus" bundled extra now ranges from $80-80 each way, up from $80.

Choice plus extras are comprised of:
  • 1 checked bag
  • Group 1 Boarding
  • No change fee (any difference in fares would still apply; valid for American Airlines operated flights)
  • Same-day flight change
  • Same-day standby
  • Premium beverage on board
  • Earn 50% more AAdvantage miles
See these related links:

AA.com: Tailor Your Travel | Enhance Your Travel with Combined Features

FT: AA economy fare basis now ends with a number
Print Wikipost

aa.com Economy / Coach Pricing Display & Choice Bundles (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Takes some getting used to. Particularly seeing return options showing up with a $0 fare. By defaulting to the lowest coach fare it does remove some flexibility in booking higher fares, though Business and First fares also default to their lowest fare category (until these sell out).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by cphurley
Horrible... hanging on trying load business fares... can't see parts of the screen b/c others overlap. I mean - this is an embarrasment.
Originally Posted by Antarius
Yeah - Like the concept, not the execution. Mine just hangs and I cannot see anything.
Try doing a browser refresh (F5).
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by dw
Yes, but the new fare bundle one step up (which waives change fees) is only $68 more roundtrip, vs a $150 change fee.

What is especially appealing is that apparently you can cancel before departure for flight credit, for the full value of your ticket (including the extra $68 you paid for the bundle).
Yes, I noticed the $68, but wasn't sure if that was for all tickets, or just the trip I was planning out. If the upfare to Choice Plus is always less than $150, it's an interesting insurance option.

Now why would anyone purchase fully refundable fares over this then?

Oh... cash return instead of just credit. Interesting...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by swag
Try doing a browser refresh (F5).
Ok. got it

Nice!!
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Silver, HG Gold
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
No change fee doesn't mean no cost to change! You still have to pay the fare difference which can be a lot of the only fare available when you want to change is Y.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AA ExP, DL Diamond, AF Plat, AS 75K, Hertz #1 Gold, National Executive, SPG Gold
works for my chrome on osx no problem. I had to take a second look at the wording to realize all the new perks aren't included as part of exp
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by petewinca
No change fee doesn't mean no cost to change! You still have to pay the fare difference which can be a lot of the only fare available when you want to change is Y.
That's the same as with refundable fares. You have to pay the fare difference.

I think the difference is how you get the credit back, as cash or AA credit.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DM, SPG GLD, Hertz 5*, AMEX PLT, GE
While I at first feared what this change would bring, I think I can get used to it.

I find some of the additions very interesting. Particularly for "Choice Plus" and the free premium beverage. How are they going to keep track of this? Will it be on the boarding pass?

Also, I find it interesting about the bonus RDM, is that above and beyond the normal elite bonus? So as an EXP if we chose a "Choice Plus" we would get 150% bonus miles?
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
Particularly for "Choice Plus" and the free premium beverage. How are they going to keep track of this? Will it be on the boarding pass?
Probably some annotation on the passenger manifest, similar to how they remember your pre-ordered meals.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
As there were two active threads on this topic, I've merged them together. Note that this may cause some posts to be interleaved, so there may be issues if you're reading through the older posts, but having this discussion all in one place will be helpful going forward. As always, if there are any questions please do let me or my colleagues know and we can take a look.

~Moderator
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:54 am

Programs: AA LifeTime PLT (2.982 MM, But 3MM+ Total), HHonors GOLD, IHG AMB
Originally Posted by NYCQuaker
Are you sure it's not showing you correctly? It's almost the same way ITA pulls up fares.
Even better now. AA is actually bundling RT fares for NRT on the one-way outbound. When returning, some options show, "included", $7.00, and others are like the $259 I quoted which is the difference by combing two different fare buckets. I'm placing dates last week of December.

Weary of the "included" because its a lower bucket, which means they could be swiping cash because system won't show a negative rate.

Sure would like to see a -$150.00 fare on the return booked in Q.

Spock Seat. @:-)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin

Oh... cash return instead of just credit. Interesting...

That's why I asked this:

If you pay for the "no change fee" on AA, does that work like WN, where you basically get a credit, good for a year? You can change destinations, and even use the credit on multiple trips, or combine credits towards a single trip?

Or does it just waive the fee if changing dates and times on the same origin/destination?
If you just get a reuasble credit, a la Southwest, then for regular AA fliers, it's basically as good as a refund. But if it's just good for date/time changes, then refundable becomes the only real option if you think you may not make the journey at all.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LookingAhead
It does not work well on Google Chrome as the Choose Flights page does not fully render.....
This has been fixed now. Chrome looks OK.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyingTrojan
I find some of the additions very interesting. Particularly for "Choice Plus" and the free premium beverage. How are they going to keep track of this? Will it be on the boarding pass?
A good explanation (recommended) that touches on this and details out what the $68 Essentials and $88 Plus bundles include is on this blog: http://thepointsguy.com/2012/12/amer...light-changes/

Essential: For an additional fee of $68 roundtrip, these fares will include 1 checked bag [in addition to what you might already be entitled to], Group 1 priority boarding and no change fees.

[...]Plus: These fares cost [...] $88 above Choice/Regular Fares and have the same three perks as Choice Essential plus a 50% AAdvantage mileage bonus (not Elite Qualifying Miles), waived same-day confirmed flight changes, same day standby and a premium beverage (including alcohol).
So the underlying fare is the same, they're just pre-selling a bundle of stuff on top of it.

For the moment these bundles are available from AA only (no travel agents, including corporate, and unclear if AA.com only or also from AA reservations) at the moment of purchase, not even as an add-on to an existing reservation.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:10 am

If you just get a reuasble credit, a la Southwest, then for regular AA fliers, it's basically as good as a refund. But if it's just good for date/time changes, then refundable becomes the only real option if you think you may not make the journey at all.
It specifically states that you have to pay the fare difference, so I don't think you can change dates/times with no additional cost unless it's the same price, which leads me to believe it is a la Southwest.

For regular AA flyers, I would take it to mean it's just like a refund, but for the ones who really want cash, they probably would consider the fully refundable.

But since you have to pay the fee upfront, you need to be someone who changes flights every other flight to make it worth it, because paying $68 twice almost makes up for the $150 (standard change fee cost) that you would have to pay if you wanted to make a change; you know, standard "self-insurance" argument.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.