Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Citi Visa 10% miles back questions, mile posting delays

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
I redeemed a one-way J award to South America on 7/23 for 8/7. The 6250 points had posted by the time I left LAX (dated 7/23 as others have described). I then redeemed another one-way J award for the return on 8/11 for travel 8/13 - still waiting for the 3750 points to be posted. Based on the first award/rebate I would have expected the second to post by now (though we are still within the 6-8 weeks).

In the time between the first and second redemption I cancelled my AA Visa but kept my AA Amex. Both have the 10% back benefit (which I double confirmed on the the phone and via email with Citi), so that should not make a difference in the timing. The taxes for both redemptions were made on the AA Amex.

Last edited by dbuckho; Sep 4, 2012 at 12:37 pm
Old Oct 10, 2012, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA, Hilton
update on the refund status.

The 10K refund just showed up on my AA Oct Statement. It took me about 8 weeks. I have not flown the fiight yet. So $95 annual fee for 10K AA miles. Not a bad trade for me.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Platinum, SPG Gold
Mine posted about 5 days after booking the flights this month.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:36 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA Silver, HHDmd, MBvLTPLT, PCAmb/Dmd, HYT Dis
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...edemption.html
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dbuckho
In the time between the first and second redemption I cancelled my AA Visa but kept my AA Amex. ...

The taxes for both redemptions were made on the AA Amex.
I have Visa/AMEX w/Citi, and my wife has MC/Visa also with Citi.

I assume the 10%/10K max refers to the individual AA account, not the card that it was booked with, correct?

Next: I'm booking a trip next year for a number of us, so the plan is: book the outbound trip as one-ways and get the 10% back on them. Then, after Jan 1, book the returns, getting another 10%. Anyone see any flaws (outside of the obvious question of availability) in this approach?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 7:42 pm

10% Miles back using Citi Advantage visa

I took a flight on American Airlines using 30k awards miles in September 2012. I read somewhere that if you use your Citi Advantage Visa Card, you would receive 10% of the mileage back in your Advantage account. Is this true? If so, would I receive 3k for myself and 3k for my friend as I booked two one way awards tickets. How long should it take for it to be deposited in my account?
Old Nov 5, 2012, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
Originally Posted by metoo
I took a flight on American Airlines using 30k awards miles in September 2012. I read somewhere that if you use your Citi Advantage Visa Card, you would receive 10% of the mileage back in your Advantage account. Is this true? If so, would I receive 3k for myself and 3k for my friend as I booked two one way awards tickets. How long should it take for it to be deposited in my account?
Is your card the Citi® Platinum Select® / AAdvantage® Visa Signature® Card? It took about a 1.5 months before I got the points.
Old Nov 5, 2012, 9:03 pm

It is the Citi Advantage Visa Signature card. It has been 7 weeks. Should I wait a couple of weeks more and then inquire?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 12:02 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
When were the flights originally booked? And have you already maxed out your 10K miles per year rebate?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 1:34 am

Programs: all
my points posted within a month
Old Nov 6, 2012, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
When were the flights originally booked? And have you already maxed out your 10K miles per year rebate?
EDIT----OMG....I paid for it with my Chase Sapphire Card!!!!!!!! It was the other flight that I will be taking that I used my Citi Advantage...
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVP Gold, TK *Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond
but isn't the 10% miles back promo only to certain destinations within the US and for RT redemption's only? I recently booked a 2 J seats on IB from MAD-JFK and when I called AA, they told me there were no promos to get 10% miles back on international travel.

Would love to be corrected on this, but don't think it works. Was a bit miffed as I opened an AA credit card just for this offer.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by Duffman
but isn't the 10% miles back promo only to certain destinations within the US and for RT redemption's only? I recently booked a 2 J seats on IB from MAD-JFK and when I called AA, they told me there were no promos to get 10% miles back on international travel.

Would love to be corrected on this, but don't think it works. Was a bit miffed as I opened an AA credit card just for this offer.
I recently booked a RT to the Caribbean with AA miles, and I got my 10K rebate.

I hardly use the Citi AA card anymore, but I might keep it another year just for the points rebate if I plan on using my remaining miles. Even a 5K rebate will probably justify the annual fee.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by metoo
I read somewhere that if you use your Citi Advantage Visa Card, you would receive 10% of the mileage back in your Advantage account. Is this true? If so, would I receive 3k for myself and 3k for my friend as I booked two one way awards tickets. How long should it take for it to be deposited in my account?
As this question has come up a couple of times since this new benefit came into force, I've merged the other threads on the topic together so everyone can get a sense of others' experiences and questions.

~Moderator
Old Jan 8, 2013, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

any way to trigger rebate with xisting awards

Is there anything i can do with existing awards to trigger the rebate?

I booked several hundred K worth of 2013 travel last year got 10K back but i wonder if reticketing or smth of similar nature can earn me another 10K for this this since i probably won't book any new awards in the near future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.