Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Old May 13, 2012, 11:50 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Hence why you aren't important to AA. Nothing personal. It is not your decision to fly with them. As long as your head of travel procurement and company management are satisfied and AA provides a tolerable level of service, you aren't a factor.
AA doesn't know that, so I figure it's still worthwhile to push back.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Regardless of speculation, wait until such a product exists before trying to state it is that bad

In the end, there are plenty of airlines in the world if one fails to meet ones desires
The width between the walls of the 777 is not speculation.
10 abreast is going to be more crowded than 9 abreast. That is NOT speculation either.

Regarding the trade for more legroom. mmm. No. At least for me. Last time I flew BA (320 series aircraft) intra-europe, just a <2 hour flight, I had a window exit row with plenty of legroom. But the row was full and I sat next to a normal sized 6'1" German dude. Shoulder room was miserable and I hated those two hours, regardless of the legroom.

Oh, and thanks for telling me to go away If I end up not liking the product, But the title of this thread is "3-4-3 booooooo". So all the ones like me that think 3-4-3 will suck (based on reasonable and logic speculation) have the right to say so without your gratuitous invitation to fly someone else.

But you are right, if flying economy, I would make sure that I get myself on BA when going to Europe or TAM (soon to be OW?) when going to Brazil.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
I am pretty sure that you are not married to the airline and yes, you can go elsewhere if the offering is not appealing.
Not married, but I would call it a long-term relationship - the fundamental basis for any elite recognition program. If I am going to leave, I certainly want AA to know why.

And no, I'm not going to leave just because AA is planning on doing this. And I know elites can get the MCE seats. And if I do get stuck in one of the 3-4-3's, I'll give it a fair shot. Just like I did when my wife convinced me to try durian. Once.

This is all speculation on a product that may or may not be something that AA may or may not introduce
Well, reps from AA have stated that they plan to do this - as was reported earlier on this thread, AA posted this on their FB page. While they can always change their plan (I'm not naive enough to think that all this griping on FT will actually change anything), I wouldn't call it speculation any more.

Last edited by hbtr; May 13, 2012 at 12:38 pm
Old May 13, 2012, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 1MM; HH Gold; IHG Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by QueerEyeForDelta
WOOF... come on up front, the upgrade's on me!
LMAO.... funniest thing I've seen here in a while.

However in 3-3-3 or 3-4-3, maybe I have a better chance of being seated between the two of you
Old May 13, 2012, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Passengers on BA, AF, EK and others have been in the 3-4-3 booooooooo arragengment for years. It is about time for AA to catch up with the international standard...
Old May 13, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by chongcao
Passengers on BA, AF, EK and others have been in the 3-4-3 booooooooo arragengment for years. It is about time for AA to catch up with the international standard...
To the best of my knowledge BA only use 3-4-3 on the wider 747 - they tried it on some early 777's and the passengers complained so much they switched to 3-3-3.
Old May 13, 2012, 1:59 pm

The cynic in me says that 3-4-3 exists to primarily to incentivise people to buy MCE.

(Why make your product worse to get people to pay up!?)
Old May 13, 2012, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by chongcao
AFAIK BA does NOT fly 3-4-3 on 777's. Most of the Asian carriers don't, at least not internationally. Many more carriers have 3-3-3 on 777's than have 3-4-3 - so if anything 3-3-3 is really "the international standard." Even if you just look at TATLI think there are more 3-3-3 than 3-4-3.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hbtr
AFAIK BA does NOT fly 3-4-3 on 777's. Most of the Asian carriers don't, at least not internationally. Many more carriers have 3-3-3 on 777's than have 3-4-3 - so if anything 3-3-3 is really "the international standard." Even if you just look at TATLI think there are more 3-3-3 than 3-4-3.
There are very few 777s being delivered new that don't have 3-4-3, so I'd say it is the new standard.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jpetekYXMD80
When compared to 9-abreast, I am quite sure that 10-abreast will not be a refreshingly intellectual romantic comedy with unexpected character depth, stunning cinematography, with a cliffhanger ending that would make Stephen King squeal.

But I am quite sure it will be more cramped and miserable. For this, I cite common sense and deductive reasoning.

This really reminds me of the Ali G episode where he goes to an anti-abortion rally and says they should try it before they say they don't like it, just like his flame broiled Whopper revelation.
I have flown 10 abreast 777. It is HORRIBLE. For those of you hypothesizing that have never been on such a bird, you are in for quite an awakening. With so few seats in MCE, many of you will not be in an aisle in that section....many of you will be in the standard section....on a LONG stage length....in hell. Trust me. Make fun of me now...get on this and realize 4 hours into a flight to NRT that there are still 8 hours left. I would rather stay on the ground.
Old May 13, 2012, 3:22 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
There are very few 777s being delivered new that don't have 3-4-3, so I'd say it is the new standard.

I only have one data point. The BA brand new 777-300s (quite nice btw) are 3-3-3 in World Traveler (Economy)

What airlines are currently getting new 777s with 3-4-3?
Old May 13, 2012, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
Well, I wouldn't. Not based on a few recent deliveries. Might become the standard but not just yet.

Besides AA, who is taking delivery of these - what airlines that currently fly 3-3-3 are taking delivery of 3-4-3 configs?
Old May 13, 2012, 3:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlosdca
i only have one data point. The ba brand new 777-300s (quite nice btw) are 3-3-3 in world traveler (economy)

what airlines are currently getting new 777s with 3-4-3?
ek, qr, af, kl, os, mh
Old May 13, 2012, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
ek, qr, af, kl, os, mh
ok. Thanks.
I've been reading the reviews of 777 economy on emirates (EK) and austrian (OS) in flyertalk and elsewhere.
Most folks that have actually flown on the 3-4-3 configuration say it is really bad.

Oh wait...let's see what AA has in store :S
Old May 13, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by carlosdca
ok. Thanks.
I've been reading the reviews of 777 economy on emirates (EK) and austrian (OS) in flyertalk and elsewhere.
Most folks that have actually flown on the 3-4-3 configuration say it is really bad.

Oh wait...let's see what AA has in store :S
Honestly...it should be criminal. Look at my posts on FT. You will see that many consider me an airline apologist on here. I am conservative, and generally agree with most decisions made by airlines. I am not one to jump up and down over some crazy idea. With that said, this is worse BY FAR than anything in the sky for the mission to which they are assigned. I hope AA reconsiders...if not, it is just a matter of time until DL and UA go to this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.