Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

For inquiries into the best economy or Main Cabin Extra seat on this aircraft type, see this thread:
Best 77W / 777-300ER Economy Class / Main Cabin Extra / MCE seat (consolidated)
Print Wikipost

Seating confirmed: 3-4-3 on the 777 / 77W ... boooooooo

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2012, 12:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Actually, it's more like protesting a crappy law that your government is debating but hasn't yet passed. If you don't shoot it down in the trial balloon phase, it's exponentially more difficult to get rid of once it has become reality.

But just to be clear, are you suggesting that 10-across seating might be equal to or better than 9-across? If so, I'm genuinely interested in knowing how that's possible.
Easy. if were to offer a greater legroom than currently, then I would say it could be better than the current offering

I doubt that AA would provide a plus in that way, but my understanding is that AA is planning to offer a cabin section with better legroom , albeit not a proper premium economy product

This is all speculation on a product that may or may not be something that AA may or may not introduce

Last edited by Dave Noble; May 13, 2012 at 12:39 am
Old May 13, 2012, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by hbtr
Sure. Less than 100K to LT PLT and I'm supposed to start over with someone else?
I am pretty sure that you are not married to the airline and yes, you can go elsewhere if the offering is not appealing.
Old May 13, 2012, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by jamar
And some of them are restricted. I mean, I'd like to fly QF on JFK-LAX, but it's prohibited by law without flying onwards to Australia.
777s are typically used on international routes and there are lots of other airlines flying around the globe
Old May 13, 2012, 12:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I doubt that AA would provide a plus in that way, but my understanding is that AA is planning to offer a cabin section with better legroom , albeit not a proper premium economy product

This is all speculation on a product that may or may not be something that AA may or may not introduce
Hardly speculation...

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabi...maincabinextra
Old May 13, 2012, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
Sorry; I knew about the improved economy offering being confirmed; the 3-4-3 isnt to the best of my knowledge

If adding seats in at 3-4-3 at one section is what enables them to offer a 36-38" pitch in 3-3-3 layout in another , then I see it as a positive offering. A decent legroom offering without the expense of business for those who don't want to pay business fares .
Old May 13, 2012, 1:33 am
Suspended

Sorry; I knew about the improved economy offering being confirmed; the 3-4-3 isnt to the best of my knowledge

If adding seats in at 3-4-3 at one section is what enables them to offer a 36-38" pitch in 3-3-3 layout in another , then I see it as a positive offering. A decent legroom offering without the expense of business for those who don't want to pay business fares .
Totally agree. Most of the back of the plane is either A) driven by the lowest price whether they admit it or not or B) forced to fly on that airline by corporate contract.

Airlines are going to push the limits of how much they can squeeze Y-. I believe AA already has said elite status fliers get Y+ at no extra cost, so this would be an upgrade for them either way.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:09 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
I knew about the improved economy offering being confirmed; the 3-4-3 isnt to the best of my knowledge…
Looking like it, for better or worse. Am sure you've seen these already, but for others, check out here, here, here and here.
Old May 13, 2012, 5:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Totally agree. Most of the back of the plane is either A) driven by the lowest price whether they admit it or not or B) forced to fly on that airline by corporate contract.

Airlines are going to push the limits of how much they can squeeze Y-. I believe AA already has said elite status fliers get Y+ at no extra cost, so this would be an upgrade for them either way.
Not all AA elites will get the "Economy Extra" seating on planes equipped with them. On the long-haul flights on some of the planes, it seems the plan may end up being that most AA elites booked in the economy class fares may not get them for no extra cost. See DL as a "model" of how this may turn out -- fees aimed at more and more elites.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Not all AA elites will get the "Economy Extra" seating on planes equipped with them. On the long-haul flights on some of the planes, it seems the plan may end up being that most AA elites booked in the economy class fares may not get them for no extra cost.

It looks like EXPs and Plats do...

Complimentary Access

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum®, oneworld® Emerald, oneworld® Sapphire and customers who have purchased a full-fare economy class ticket receive advance complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats. To celebrate the launch of this new seating product, AAdvantage Gold® and oneworld® Ruby members will also have advance complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats through December 31, 2013.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:47 am
Suspended

Not all of us can choose the airline(s) we fly, so there are good reasons to push back if yours decides to implement a cruddy product. And yes, it's entirely possible and reasonable to extrapolate based on past experience and simple arithmetic. 3-4-3 on a 777 has to suck worse than 2-5-2 (which in turn is a cabin I'd rather avoid if possible); there's no way around it.
I think you're confusing the business transaction between an airline and a customer with some other type of real-life relationship.

The only way you can effectively weigh on an airline's strategic decisions is to take your business elsewhere.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:56 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by sxf24
I think you're confusing the business transaction between an airline and a customer with some other type of real-life relationship.
Not at all. What I was saying is some of us effectively can't take our business elsewhere due to work rules and contracts. Sure, I could choose a different airline for personal travel, but that accounts for maybe 5% of my spending.
Old May 13, 2012, 9:10 am
Suspended

Not at all. What I was saying is some of us effectively can't take our business elsewhere due to work rules and contracts. Sure, I could choose a different airline for personal travel, but that accounts for maybe 5% of my spending.
Hence why you aren't important to AA. Nothing personal. It is not your decision to fly with them. As long as your head of travel procurement and company management are satisfied and AA provides a tolerable level of service, you aren't a factor. If your company won't pay for you to fly E+, and your company only values getting you where they want you at the lowest price, that's the product AA will provide.

The future of loyalty programs is going to be around fliers who pay premium/higher fares and non-flying mileage accumulators. The airlines make better money selling miles to these companies than they do on selling low fares to cheap elites.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6

I have no idea why you keep banging on about legroom - it isn't enough in itself. For me (I'm 6' tall so nothing special) to work half way effectively I need elbow room to operate my Notebook and I need power. From experience I know 8-wide on a 777 is about the minimum that works, and I frankly don't care if the seat has 40" pitch - it doesn't solve the brushing shoulders and banging elbows problem. $3-5k more for an extra day of work isn't worth it; a $500-$1k premium is. Maybe I have a unique way of valuing space but it seems that for me at least, AA is going in the wrong direction at present.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:22 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
I believe AA already has said elite status fliers get Y+ at no extra cost, so this would be an upgrade for them either way.
If there were only two rows of MCE per plane, as some speculate, I doubt all elite will get their Y+ seats.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:33 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Hence why you aren't important to AA. Nothing personal. It is not your decision to fly with them. As long as your head of travel procurement and company management are satisfied and AA provides a tolerable level of service, you aren't a factor. If your company won't pay for you to fly E+, and your company only values getting you where they want you at the lowest price, that's the product AA will provide.

The future of loyalty programs is going to be around fliers who pay premium/higher fares and non-flying mileage accumulators. The airlines make better money selling miles to these companies than they do on selling low fares to cheap elites.
(my bold)

With people getting taller and bigger each day, perhaps AA is overplaying its hand in search of a cheap product; don't forget these planes will be flying long haul routes, if the perception of inconvenience and cheapness get attached to AA, it is possible that they lose business.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.