Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2014, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
oneworld / AA Explorer award with AA Miles (discuss, questions) [ENDED 8 APR 2014]

N.B. new oneworld/AA Explorer awards are no longer available as of the end of the day on April 7th, 2014.

Existing awards will be honored.

This thread is ONLY to inquire or add about existing oneworld Explorer awards;
to comment on the loss of this booking option, please follow the discussion on:
Oneworld Explorer Awards Eliminated -- Effective Immediately [8 Apr 2014]

See the first post, below, for the rules that prevailed through 7 April 2014 and apply to those who booked Explorer awards prior to the end of these useful award tickets.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 5:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
Award trip completed

Just back from our explorer award trip, probably one of the last ones ever booked. We went
ORD-PEK,XIY-HKG-REP-KUL-KCH-SIN-BKK-CMB-DOH-AMM-IST-LHR-IND-ORD
in business.

The IND leg was an unexpected one and was courtesy of AA having to make a refueling stop after an aborted landing attempt at ORD in the snow.

It was awesome. Thank you to people here who helped with advice.
Best 140000 miles (x2) (after 10k CC rebate) I could ever spend!
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: All of them, Katie
Citi (still? newly?) advertising AA Explorer Awards

I recently signed up for a Citi AA Platinum MC and today I received the booklet of benefits that comes with the card. This is the newly styled card, redesigned since AA Explorer Awards were discontinued. In the booklet, there is a section advertising Explorer Awards. This is probably just a mistake by Citi, but it's been a while now since these have been discontinued, so it's strange that it made it in the card literature. The text definitely refers to old AA Explorer Awards, not the OneWorld Explorer tickets. What do you think my chances are if I call Citi and demand to use this advertised card benefit

Here's the full text of the section:

EXPLORER AWARDS
Need to travel to multiple destinations? Explorer Awards put the world within reach by allowing you to travel to multiple cities or regions on a single award. The mileage required to claim these awards is based on the total mileage of the trip.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Do you like riding broken down old horses and tilting at windmills? Go for it!

Citi just hasn't revised their wording, and Citi can't issue awards.
Old May 16, 2015, 3:22 pm

oneworld global explorer program gone - anything new

I used the One world global explorer program last year where you can redeem 220,000 miles and fly 50,000 miles with 16 legs with some restrictions on business class. That program is gone. In the past, I could not find that program on aa.com but had to find it here. It was buried and difficult to find.
Question: Are there any other new or existing programs where you can redeem miles for multiple trips at a discount to regular redemption? There are several programs that have continents or areas but require purchase.
Thanks, Rick
Old May 16, 2015, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by stromer52
Question: Are there any other new or existing programs where you can redeem miles for multiple trips at a discount to regular redemption?
For large international trips, no.
Old May 16, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The explorer mileage ticket has been gone for over a year. There was no replacement.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...pr-2014-a.html
Old May 16, 2015, 8:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's not buried and difficult to find, it's buried and dead. Unfortunately, nothing new to take its place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.