Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

The AA - US merger was approved by AMR creditors and the boards of directors of both airlines on 13 Feb 2013, and announced the 14th.

There is no further speculation about whether the merger will occur; all that is pending is approval from the bankruptcy court and the regulatory authorities.

American Airlines and US Airways approve merger: just the facts, please outlines the facts we know;

AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion (consolidated) is the thread for discussion of the announced merger.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: US LCC & AMR / AA Takeover / merger Rumors and Discussion (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR LT PPE, Arise Mucci des Hommes de Fer
Originally Posted by 787fan
Whatever AA's strategy is in Asia, "aggressive" is definitely not one of them. Not counting NRT, I can count exactly 4 TPAC routes on AA metal (you know, the ones I could actually use a systemwide upgrade on).

2 from ORD, 1 from LAX, 1 from DFW, and none from JFK or MIA.

So far AA's strategy with many of their JV partners has simply been more hub-to-hub. New long-haul hub-to-spoke growth has been somewhat unimpressive.
How did you come to those numbers?
ORD-NRT, ORD-PVG, ORD-PEK=3
LAX-NRT, LAX-PVG=2
DFW-NRT, DFW-ICN=2
JFK-HND=1

My math gives me 8 TPAC routes on AA metal to use EVIP's on.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
How did you come to these numbers?
LAX-NRT, LAX-PVG=2
DFW-NRT, DFW-ICN=2
JFK-HND=1

The poster said NOT counting NRT. Only missed JFK-HND of flights currently operating.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Whatever AA's strategy is in Asia, "aggressive" is definitely not one of them. Not counting NRT, I can count exactly 4 TPAC routes on AA metal (you know, the ones I could actually use a systemwide upgrade on).

2 from ORD, 1 from LAX, 1 from DFW, and none from JFK or MIA.

So far AA's strategy with many of their JV partners has simply been more hub-to-hub. New long-haul hub-to-spoke growth has been somewhat unimpressive.
I never said it was. But a post-merger AA may be a different animal.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by uxb
Star has been taking a beating over the past couple of years. With a BK exit and the soon-to-be announced departures of US/JJ(/and likely TP) for OW. Despite having more airlines in their alliance, I cannot think of a single reason why Star would still be better than OW. I guess, maybe if you are going to China or Mongolia. That aside, there are some major holes in the Star route map. IMHO, OW acquisitions now represent quality over quantity. This seems to be lacking at the other two alliances, which will take just about anyone.
Star is only weak in South America (specifically, deep South America). But at least they have some presence via Avianca-Taca. Oneworld ? Zero carriers in the whole continent of Africa (marginally if you count Comair).

US wasn't any crown jewel within Star to begin with, so losing it wasn't a really big deal. And bringing in Sri Lankan isn't going to help much either (that's assuming the hub airport is safe from the separatist militants).
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Star is only weak in South America (specifically, deep South America). But at least they have some presence via Avianca-Taca. Oneworld ? Zero carriers in the whole continent of Africa.
But between BA, QR and IB you have substantial service to Africa which is what people need far more than intra-Africa service. Frankly, other than SAA, there aren't too many African carriers I want to fly.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
While anything can happen I say 99.5% this deal is done. An announcement should likely be made after the market closes. Also, remember that a Plan of Reorganization still needs to be filed with the Court, sent to creditors for a vote and then approved by the Judge. There certainly is the risk of certain creditors trying to hold it up although if there is general consensus among most creditors the Judge would likely just overrule any objection.

It probably won't be until late spring or summer until the deal is actually done. It will take another several months before changes to take effect that would impact FFs.
I sure hope so- I'm going to stock up on US miles for cheap and hope that that + my AA balance yields some juicy oneworld Explorer awards.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TheAAdmiral
How did you come to those numbers?
LAX-NRT, LAX-PVG=2
DFW-NRT, DFW-ICN=2
JFK-HND=1

Isn't it ironic that one could use EVIP to ICN but not to HKG (major OW hub)
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
While anything can happen I say 99.5% this deal is done. An announcement should likely be made after the market closes. Also, remember that a Plan of Reorganization still needs to be filed with the Court, sent to creditors for a vote and then approved by the Judge. There certainly is the risk of certain creditors trying to hold it up although if there is general consensus among most creditors the Judge would likely just overrule any objection.

It probably won't be until late spring or summer until the deal is actually done. It will take another several months before changes to take effect that would impact FFs.
Probably at least a year before we start seeing changes to the FF program. 6 months probably before the deal is approved by all parties including regulators then changes will take some time to implement so realistically probably about a year. Dont expect to use US miles on AA this summer.

That said if turns out to be true the boards approved ( which i expect is), i dont foresee any major roadblocks to being finalized. Parker did a great job of getting the creditors on board ( much to Horton's dislike) so shouldn't be any major issues there. Judge will just sign off on it. Say what you will about Parker, well played well played.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sts603
But between BA, QR and IB you have substantial service to Africa which is what people need far more than intra-Africa service. Frankly, other than SAA, there aren't too many African carriers I want to fly.
If not for their political unrest, Egyptian is acceptable.

If we're counting partners, I don't think BA+QR+IB can beat the access that SN+LH+TK gives.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by grahampros
Probably at least a year before we start seeing changes to the FF program. 6 months probably before the deal is approved by all parties including regulators then changes will take some time to implement so realistically probably about a year. Dont expect to use US miles on AA this summer.

That said if turns out to be true the boards approved ( which i expect is), i dont foresee any major roadblocks to being finalized. Parker did a great job of getting the creditors on board ( much to Horton's dislike) so shouldn't be any major issues there. Judge will just sign off on it. Say what you will about Parker, well played well played.
You have to hand it to Parker, he took the lesson of his failed DL attempt. Go for the employees and creditors, find a few key allies that are comfortable in approaching management, have a lot of patience (the NDA was signed all the way back at the end of August) and you will likely get your deal.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 2:21 pm
Suspended

If not for their political unrest, Egyptian is acceptable.

If we're counting partners, I don't think BA+QR+IB can beat the access that SN+LH+TK gives.
Isn't Egyptian dry?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator action

Please continue the discussion in the AA - US Merger Agreement / Announcement Discussion thread, as the merger is no longer a subject of speculation - it has been formally announced by AA and US Boards of Directors, and the factual information about that merger is contained in the new "Just the facts" AA-US merger sticky thread.

Just a matter of housekeeping and keeping threads on specific topics separate - as stated, the merger is a fait accompli (subject to the bankruptcy court and USDOJ), so no speculation about that bit is needed.

Topical posts after announcement of the merger have been / will be moved to that thread.

Thank you,

American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.