Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AAMRQ: TPG, US Airways (LCC) and Delta (DAL) consider bids for AMR Corp-- WSJ ($0.36)

AAMRQ: TPG, US Airways (LCC) and Delta (DAL) consider bids for AMR Corp-- WSJ ($0.36)

Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:41 pm

Programs: United 1K
Don't see how the Justice Department will allow Delta to acquire AA.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLAT
Wow ... interesting development ...
Could this be true ?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Wow, horrible news. AAdvantage is the best program out there and SkyMiles is the worst amongst the three major alliances.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:43 pm

Programs: AAEXP4MM, Marriott Rewards Platinum Premier/Lifetime Platinum, AVG Joe "nobody" everywhere else ; )
Originally Posted by jaguar
Don't see how the Justice Department will allow Delta to acquire AA.
+ 1

DL/AA merger = landscape changing nightmare
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Already being discussed here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...sj-0-36-a.html

Moderator alerted to merge threads.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:45 pm

Solves a big problem -Getting rid of the AA Texas management team and strategy that got AA and us (the customers) into this mess.
Almost anything is better than a US Air relationship.
Give US Air some LHR and NRT slots as well as slots at some capacity controlled domestic airpots (DCA/LGA) and it is a done deal.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Yes there is another thread on this in the DL forum. I posted on that forum, that I thought a British Airways-American merger would be great but governments would never allow it. You would have a true world airline then. Another better move would be a merge with US Airways.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Time to spend my AAdvantage account down to zero.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:49 pm
GAF

Programs: AA LT Plat, SPG Plat, CC gold, ICH Spire
I'm most interested in the final destination of Aadvantage. It took me a long time to get to LT Plat. and I would hate to loose those benefits.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
While I will believe it when its actually confirmed and announced by DL, possibly DL is looking at what could be a much stronger competitor that would benefit from the Chapter 11 process and then a merger with USAir. So maybe DL is proactively acting ahead and is willing to lose some considerable "skin" to appease DOJ. Even at that I'd say its crapshoot on whether DOJ will go along.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Bring it on. AA will likely become largely non-union, get better gates at BOS, upgraded lounges, direct service to TLV, and a hub in DTW.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

<snip>

Which would get tied up in court in a nanosecond, and unlike Branson/VX, it would be very clear that IAG is holding the puppet strings.

You can't have non-US interests running a US airline (and Branson doesn't run VX, he's mostly on for marketing).
Not true. TPG is a very well established company and has been backing airlines for the last 2 decades. They are not some shell company set up 30 days ago for the express purpose of circumventing US law

Nothing in US law prohibits IAG from sending its managers to the US or even coordinating with the reborn AMR

No one would ever accuse TPG of being a proxy company for a foreign interest. They invested in America West and Continental and the DOJ never blocked them from those investments.

Last edited by panjabi; Jan 12, 2012 at 12:58 pm
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:55 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
... or a merger with AS. Only problem is that AA can't afford AS. Otherwise it'd make sense as they'd acquire a ton of 737s to replace their maddogs, they'd dominate the west coast, and could use the base at SEA to expand into Asia. Of course it'd never happen though.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Bring it on. AA will likely become largely non-union, get better gates at BOS, upgraded lounges, direct service to TLV, and a hub in DTW.
Terminal A is awful, if a merger happens we should start a campaign to ensure it bases out of B.

I also question the value of Skyteam over oneworld. Skyteam is a much looser association and lacks the level of benefits AA customers currently receive with oneworld partners.

DL and AA do have relatively compatible fleets, routes and hubs though, so it is one of the more feasible mergers. However it would put smaller airlines that have traditionally played AA and DL against each other in an awkward position, notably AS and HA.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
[QUOTE=bernardd;17801331]The problem is once you go into any form of Bankruptcy the outcome can be unpredictable and certainly not bound by any gentleman's agreement.

<snip>
QUOTE]

That is why it is called a "gentleman's agreement". There is no legal binding.

I agree that NOTHING is guaranteed in a BK process. However, it is not uncommon at all for companies to have post BK financing or exit financing lined up BEFORE going into restructuring BK

Keep in mind, this is very common in the industry. Now, it is quite possible that Bill Gates can come to the BK court and say "I offer $20 billion for AMR and it will now be called Windows 7 Airlines" and the court will accept

But assuming rational business players, I will tell you that the money TPG and IAG will put up will be hard to match by US Airways or by most other companies like KKR, especially when then sweetener is going to be "integration benefits" provided by IAG, which will translate into direct revenue for the reborn AMR

The judge will take all of that into consideration.

So, is a sure thing? No. However, is it HIGHLY likely? Yes.

See me on this board in about 6-12 months. If I was wrong, I will buy you 2 rounds of scotches in any Admirals Clubs of your choice.. heck make that 5.. .2 just makes me want 2 more

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.