FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   First trip on AA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1273882-first-trip-aa.html)

apolloms Oct 28, 2011 2:53 pm

First trip on AA

My travel office booked me a last minute ticket for tomorrow to HNL on AA. I've never flown AA before so I'm interested to see if its something worth doing a status match over for. I get that I won't really see any benefits tomorrow since I just created an AAdvantage account today and have no status but it will be interesting.

I'm in an exit row on a 763...what should I expect?

Texasg11 Oct 28, 2011 2:57 pm

Not sure where you are going through, i recently flew DFW to HNL on a 763 on an exit row and it was comfortable enough (definitely not first class). Food for purchase part sucked on an 8 hour flight.

apolloms Oct 28, 2011 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Texasg11 (Post 17352769)
Not sure where you are going through, i recently flew DFW to HNL on a 763 on an exit row and it was comfortable enough (definitely not first class). Food for purchase part sucked on an 8 hour flight.

going through ORD

Ambraciot Oct 28, 2011 3:03 pm

If you are in 21 A, B, H or J you should have a relatively (for coach) good in flight experience with low quality over head IFE and a 12v powerport between the seats.

If you are in row 20, I suggest you try to get a new seat.

There is no free meal provided, but the chicken ceasar salad is decent for $10, there will also be one or more types of sandwiches available for the same price.

brp Oct 28, 2011 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner (Post 17352749)

I'm in an exit row on a 763...what should I expect?

You should expect all of the things that others have written about the exit row of the 763 in the FAQ linked at the top of the page (where it says "Please check here first") as this is likely the same basic 763 exit row seat that is being discussed there.

Cheers.

apolloms Oct 28, 2011 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 17352805)
You should expect all of the things that others have written about the exit row of the 763 in the FAQ linked at the top of the page (where it says "Please check here first") as this is likely the same basic 763 exit row seat that is being discussed there.

Cheers.

so welcoming over here ^

i meant more of an AA overall experience, not the specific seat. I picked my seat via seat guru.

brp Oct 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner (Post 17352818)
so welcoming over here ^

i meant more of an AA overall experience, not the specific seat. I picked my seat via seat guru.

Yeah, we're known for that here :)

Seriously- it's AA coach. It will generally be mediocre and having an exit row will make it marginally less so. Not a whole lot more to say about it.

Cheers.

tom911 Oct 28, 2011 3:22 pm

Do the exit rows have power ports? If so, that could work to your advantage if you need to power your own tablet or laptop with video. I don't normally sit in those seats, preferring to be in the front of the cabin.

FlyMeToTheLooneyBin Oct 28, 2011 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by ianturner (Post 17352818)
so welcoming over here ^

Well, they will roll out the blue carpet for you, as you board with the masses. You will enjoy being strapped to a metal seat flying through the air, and automagically, you will appear on an island in the middle of the Pacific.

FAs aren't bad. I've had worse experiences on US.

emma dog Oct 28, 2011 5:04 pm

Crossposted to DL: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ot-choice.html

TWAB747nomore Oct 28, 2011 5:09 pm

AA coach to hawaii is nothing amazing these days .

WChou Oct 28, 2011 5:21 pm

Local airline food critic SFO777 flies AA and DL regularly. Check out the AA domestic and DL food threads. He provides both mini trip reports and pics. He is elite on carriers and provides an excellent perspective of the experience for pax with status.

QueenOfCoach Oct 28, 2011 7:21 pm

It's normal, regular, garden-variety Coach. You'll watch all the Grand Poo-Bah card holders snarl at the gate lice as they push their way through, then you'll board with the masses, and hope there's room in the overhead bin when you get to your seat.

Take your own IFE: iPad, Kindle, iPod, etc.

econometrics Oct 28, 2011 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by brp (Post 17352847)
Seriously- it's AA coach. It will generally be mediocre and having an exit row will make it marginally less so. Not a whole lot more to say about it.

lol, exactly! You will have a seat, it will recline ever so slightly, and you will be offered food for purchase. It will be very memorable. :D

pssteve Oct 28, 2011 10:19 pm

OP: How did you get to select an Exit row seat with apparently no current AA status?:confused: