Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2011, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/3MM, AA MM, DL MM

Just got back from Costco and they had $300 AA gift cards for $269.99. From the signage it appears to have a limit of 8 cards per transaction. Hard to get a 10% guaranteed return anywhere right now, but for AA folks this is a good deal.

Edited to add: Costco location = Pentagon City, VA.

---------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR NOTE:

To be certain of availability, please call your Costco of choice and ask them to check the inventory for Item #576515.

Full terms and conditions of AA Gift Cards can be found here: https://giftcards.aa.com/terms.jsp

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What can I use my gift cards for? Are there any restrictions?
A:
- Gift Cards are redeemable toward the initial electronic ticket purchase of air travel wholly on flights operated by American Airlines, American Eagle® and the AmericanConnection® carriers for itineraries sold and originating in the U.S., Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands.
- AA Gift Cards are also available for payment of air travel on any oneworld® partner or AA Codeshare flight.
- They cannot be used for payment of air travel on any other airline.
- Flights sold or originating outside the U.S., Puerto Rico or U.S. Virgin Islands or operated by other carriers are not eligible.

Q: Do gift cards expire?
A: No.

Q: Where can I use my AA gift cards?
A: Gift Cards are redeemable online at www.aa.com or by calling American Airlines Reservations. Gift cards cannot be redeemed at airport ticket counters or travel agents. Transactions through American Airlines Reservations are subject to an additional charge which must be paid separately by credit, debit or charge card.

Q: Is there a limit to how many gift cards I can use at a time?
A: Up to eight gift cards may be redeemed in a single transaction or purchase.

Q: Can I use my gift card for the full all-in cost of my flight or just the base fare?
A: Gift Cards are redeemable toward the purchase of the base air fare and directly associated taxes, fees and charges that are collected as part of the fare calculation.

Q: Is there anything I can't use them for?
A: Yes. Here's a partial list of INELIGIBLE products/services: upgrades; Admirals Club membership enrollments or One-Day Passes; baggage fees; pet fees; unaccompanied minor fees; oxygen fees; ticketing fees for transactions processed through American Airlines Reservations; taxes, fees or charges payable in connection with AAdvantage® award travel; AmericanAirlines Vacations SM or non-flight products and/or services sold by American Airlines.

Q: What if I lose my gift card?
A: Sorry; you're out of luck. Lost, stolen or damaged Gift Cards will not be replaced.

/JY1024, AA forum co-moderator

Last edited by JY1024; May 27, 2012 at 5:59 pm Reason: Added mod note
Old May 18, 2011, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by cwpfly
Just got back from Costco and they had $300 AA gift cards for $269.99. From the signage it appears to have a limit of 8 cards per transaction. Hard to get a 10% guaranteed return anywhere right now, but for AA folks this is a good deal.

Dont see them online, will check my local ones this weekend.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by cwpfly

Thanks for the heads up! Will make my way to Pentagon City this weekend.
Old May 18, 2011, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by barelyelite
Thanks for the heads up! Will make my way to Pentagon City this weekend.
+1. Will try to get to Pentagon City Costco before heading to DCA on Sat.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Is sales tax charged on gift card purchases? If so it could kill most of the savings depending on what city/state you're shopping in.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:25 pm

If someone finds these, please let us know the Costco item number, that is often useful in finding stores that carry an item. Thanks.
Old May 18, 2011, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by biggreen
Is sales tax charged on gift card purchases? If so it could kill most of the savings depending on what city/state you're shopping in.
Do they normally charge sales tax on gift cards?
Old May 18, 2011, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I've never heard of anyone charging sales tax on GC because they're not the end product.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:13 pm

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
If it were British Airways, they would find a way to charge a tax/surcharge.
Old May 18, 2011, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
If these are spotted anywhere in the Seattle area, please do post. I'll be stateside for at least the next 3 weeks and would love to pick up a few of these.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:12 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
I'll investigate the Costco in the Schaumburg, IL area tomorrow!! This could be huge!
Old May 19, 2011, 1:30 am

anyone know if they are doing these in CA?
Old May 19, 2011, 1:36 am

Programs: AA EXP (1MM), Hyatt, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Microwave
If these are spotted anywhere in the Seattle area, please do post. I'll be stateside for at least the next 3 weeks and would love to pick up a few of these.
Be careful with giftcard terms and conditions... The itinerary can't begin outside the US (and possibly USVI, etc. but definitely not LHR!)
Old May 19, 2011, 1:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wonderous device: BlackBerry9000/5.0.0.1067 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Damn... Know that AS was thinking about this...but was prob going to cost AS too much... All I can say is WoW.
Old May 19, 2011, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by wdogg
anyone know if they are doing these in CA?
I would really like to know this. I suppose I could go to my local Costco, but it's such a madhouse, I'd only like to go if I absolutely have to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.