Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Gift Cards - Save 10% @ Costco [only remaining supply left - phasing out]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2012, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
Originally Posted by josephstern
I charged mine on an SPG Amex and got full points for them.
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I'm not familar with the terms of the Costco AMEX, but since you are actually prepaying for AA tickets and not really a cash card, so it just might qualify.

SPG AMEX is a different card altogether, but as stated above you're buying AA tickets so not surprised (especially since I have used my SPG AMEX too and no issues there).
Both arguments make sense to me... anyway, I bought and used my first 5 cards last week, and look forward to using more...
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:05 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FWAAA
As others have noted, many jurisdictions do not charge sales tax on the purchase of gift certificates or gift cards. Could you share with us the jurisdiction you had in mind when you posted this? I'm not familiar with any jurisdiction that charges sales tax on the purchase of gift cards.
Even in tax happy NYC, we don't get smacked with the 8.75% tax when buying these gift cards.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Originally Posted by Foady
There are plenty of gift cards at the SF Costco at 450 10th St as well.
Not so many now ...

Bought a whole load myself yesterday, they didn't have enough in the standard retrieval area, but she went back and came back with a couple of handfuls of them. Not unusual to see people hauling out thousands of dollars' worth of these according to the cashier, he'd been doling them out in buckets. 10% + 2% exec member cash back + MR points replenishment on the AMEX. What's not to like? Might go in and get another bucketful this week too, it makes sense to stockpile 'em somewhat at least for potential travel in the next 12 months or so.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 3:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by MarkedMan
Not so many now ...
Did you set a new world record?
I think current world record is 100 GCs held by josephstern at Marina del Rey/Culver City ,CA in Feb,2012. (see post #962)
Old Jun 16, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Er ... no, most of my flights are corp paid, it would take me three or four years to work through that many. But I'll think about it next time I go, as really there isn't much downside to stocking these up other than the fact you're tying up so much cash in the things. Then again these days it's hard to get 12% return on anything
Old Jun 20, 2012, 1:53 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Even though not explicitly stated anywhere in the terms, you cannot use these on a fare difference or a change fee. The only reference to this is "initial purchase," but IMHO that is not clear enough.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: HYATT DIAMOND, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold, DL SILVER,
i understand that 12% is a good deal. but why are poeple buying 27k worth of gift cards? is it because that they might stop selling these at costco? I was planning on buying a few at times i need them but it seems like i should be hoarding them too?
Old Jun 20, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by Napolehon
i understand that 12% is a good deal. but why are poeple buying 27k worth of gift cards? is it because that they might stop selling these at costco? I was planning on buying a few at times i need them but it seems like i should be hoarding them too?
I hoard them because they don't sell them in my area. I have to buy them when I'm on a business trip and try to buy enough to last me until my next business trip!
Old Jun 20, 2012, 8:22 pm

Programs: HYATT DIAMOND, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold, DL SILVER,
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite
I hoard them because they don't sell them in my area. I have to buy them when I'm on a business trip and try to buy enough to last me until my next business trip!
ah ok i didnt know some costcos did not have them.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Napolehon
I'm pretty sure they were gone for several months once already. So I stocked up.

Why not? They're returnable to Costco, the time-value-of-money is basically nil these days (unless you don't pay your Amex off, of course), and the risk of them being gone when you need them is definitely out there.

For me, I've got a family of four, so that alone eats up plenty. Next, I have some SWUs I'd like to use before they expire.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 10:05 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
+1 on the hoarding. Costco looks at me funny when I buy $21k worth of gift cards. The thing is, they don't sell them in Dallas, so I have to buy them whenever I'm in Houston/LA.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:20 am

For those who are going into the $10K or $20K range, to be used over a several years, I would suggest taking a digital image backup of all the cards.

After all, few people keep $20K cash in house for a reason, and the AA GC is good as cash (or in the case of losses, as bad as cash).

Also, make sure you have a good system to track the cards. If you misplace a few, you would have given back most of the discounts to AA.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckpeter
For those who are going into the $10K or $20K range, to be used over a several years, I would suggest taking a digital image backup of all the cards.

After all, few people keep $20K cash in house for a reason, and the AA GC is good as cash (or in the case of losses, as bad as cash).

Also, make sure you have a good system to track the cards. If you misplace a few, you would have given back most of the discounts to AA.
Should you lose these, what would you then do with the pictures?
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by josephstern
Should you lose these, what would you then do with the pictures?
Actually all you need is the card number and PIN. The physical card has NO VALUE. It is not handed over to anyone, especially when used online, so safe guarding the card is only required to keep someone else from trying to use it. I doubt Costco will take back a card that has had the PIN exposed so you may as well shred the card AFTER you have recorded the number and PIN.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ckpeter
Very sound advice no matter how long it takes someone to use them.

I hope that people aren't buying several years' worth of gift cards at one time, as the annual return basically evaporates if they aren't used within a year or two.

Right now, the gift cards produce a total return of 13.11% if used within a year. The 2% executive rebate remains constant no matter how long it takes you to use them (since you get that within a year), but the 11.11% return ($30/$270 = 11.11%) begins to shrink dramatically if you don't use them up quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.