FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair-445/)
-   -   Flight change: nonstop to layover?! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-pre-consolidation-usair/1209591-flight-change-nonstop-layover.html)

psubill78 Apr 26, 2011 6:22 pm

Flight change: nonstop to layover?!

So my wife & I were booked nonstop from ORD to CUN in November, paid more for the tickets to have the non-stop.

Today, I receive a call (automated message saying my itinerary has changed). I am used to this all the time on UA.... figure the times changed. Oh no, my nonstop ORD to CUN on 11/11 is now a layover in DFW. There are apparently no nonstops on the schedule for that day anymore. As of now, our return is still showing nonstop.

I am blown away AA would get rid of all the nonstops, my bigger concern, what if one is added back into the schedule later, will I be able to get back to nonstop?

I'm a AA Platinum, haven't run into this before. Any suggestions before I call to complain (not that much can happen, if nothing is on the schedule.)

dstan Apr 26, 2011 6:25 pm

If it's been pulled from the schedule, there is nothing you can do, other than reschedule your trip due to the schedule change.

psubill78 Apr 26, 2011 6:27 pm

I understand that I can't make them put in a flight that doesn't exist, however, I find it really hard to believe they are cutting nonstop ORD to CUN - and my concern, what if it gets put back in - next month, for example. Am I stuck with layover flights at that point.

Is there any resource I can work on to get my money back so I can go to UA for nonstop?

BrewerSEA Apr 26, 2011 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by psubill78 (Post 16285629)
I understand that I can't make them put in a flight that doesn't exist, however, I find it really hard to believe they are cutting nonstop ORD to CUN - and my concern, what if it gets put back in - next month, for example. Am I stuck with layover flights at that point.

Is there any resource I can work on to get my money back so I can go to UA for nonstop?

You can almost certainly get a full refund with this type of schedule change.

lobo411 Apr 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by psubill78 (Post 16285629)
I find it really hard to believe they are cutting nonstop ORD to CUN

Well you know AA--the incredible shrinking airline! :D

JJeffrey Apr 26, 2011 6:38 pm

Save a copy of your original itinerary/ticket showing you booked on the nonstop. If the nonstop were to come back, give AA a call and explain the situation, hopefully they'd put you back.

psubill78 Apr 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA (Post 16285638)
You can almost certainly get a full refund with this type of schedule change.

They only offered me a voucher in the amount of the fare..

This sucks.... I'm going to wait for them to put the nonstop back in. I've always found AA's caribbean service pretty good, I really hope they don't mess that up.

3Cforme Apr 26, 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by psubill78 (Post 16285726)
They only offered me a voucher in the amount of the fare..

A change from a non-stop to direct, or from direct to a connection, gives you a right (thank the DOT) to a full refund to the original form of payment. A 'significant' schedule change does, too.

dia1 Apr 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 16285774)
A change from a non-stop to direct, or from direct to a connection, gives you a right (thank the DOT) to a full refund to the original form of payment. A 'significant' schedule change does, too.

Had the same experience on a different route a while back. (A really common occurrence out of STL these last few years.)

For future reference, I would really appreciate a link to the documentation of the right to refund if that's handy. (If not, many of us will be searching, I'm sure.) Thanks!

MAH4546 Apr 26, 2011 7:10 pm

You are flying in the fall, when AA heavily reduces Caribbean flying between Labor Day and Thanksgiving. Not only does demand literally collapse during this period, but it gives AA slack in the fleet to put planes into heavy maintenance checks.

3Cforme Apr 26, 2011 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by dia1 (Post 16285832)
Had the same experience on a different route a while back. (A really common occurrence out of STL these last few years.)

For future reference, I would really appreciate a link to the documentation of the right to refund if that's handy. (If not, many of us will be searching, I'm sure.) Thanks!

See the second paragraph of this industry notice letter.

http://airconsumer.dot.gov/rules/20010925.htm

Austinrunner Apr 26, 2011 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by psubill78 (Post 16285596)
So my wife & I were booked nonstop from ORD to CUN in November, paid more for the tickets to have the non-stop.

Today, I receive a call (automated message saying my itinerary has changed). ... Oh no, my nonstop ORD to CUN on 11/18 is now a layover in DFW. There are apparently no nonstops on the schedule for that day anymore.

Weird. AA 445 on that date is still showing as nonstop (and available) on both aa.com and ITA.

psubill78 Apr 27, 2011 7:07 am

Originally Posted by Austinrunner (Post 16286465)
Weird. AA 445 on that date is still showing as nonstop (and available) on both aa.com and ITA.

OK, I actually messed up the date. We are flying ORD to CUN 11/11 (the friday before) our return is 11/18 (where there still in a nonstop.)

445 was the flight we were actually on. It's no longer running on 11/11 (or 11/4 for that matter).

Sorry for the confusion.

emma dog Apr 27, 2011 7:28 am

I'm not too surprised by the cutback... ever since the travel warning, Mexico tourism is waaaayyyyy down. I was in COZ during Spring Break time and not only was my plane 1/3 full, the hotel was like a ghost town.

psubill78 Apr 27, 2011 7:35 am

Originally Posted by emma dog (Post 16288215)
I'm not too surprised by the cutback... ever since the travel warning, Mexico tourism is waaaayyyyy down. I was in COZ during Spring Break time and not only was my plane 1/3 full, the hotel was like a ghost town.

I don't believe the Cancun area is even on the travel warning.

I'm hoping it's empty. More drinks for me... LOL