Claim made that average age of an AA flight attendant is 60!

Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Starwood Platinum
I was on 997 DFW - EZE on Sunday 9/27, and the average age of the FA's was well above 60.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
And... (As long as they are capable of doing the job, and it's verified by practical testing, so what? Performance in the cabin and evaluating the same, that's a whole different animal.)

I flew with seniority number 2 (two) DFW-SMF a year or two ago; she was capable of doing what needs to be done in emergency - and performed cabin duties like any other FA.

I understand why younger FAs would like to see an age cap - it allows them to move up the seniority ladder, much like younger pilots were among those who opposed extending pilot mandatory retirement from 60 to 65. Those pilots still have to pass their flight physical and other practical tests at least every six months, a much better indicator of fitness for duty than chronological age.

Then again, the entire whingeing mess posted by the blogger sounds like more like an "ode to me" and entitlement drivel.

Originally Posted by quant_93
I was on 997 DFW - EZE on Sunday 9/27, and the average age of the FA's was well above 60.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:53 am

Programs: AA EXP (LT Plat), HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
In the spirit of this thread title. …I am a senior Airbus executive and American Airlines is going to order A380s to replace their aging MD80 fleet.

Disclaimer: Do I really have to?????
Old Sep 29, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
As long as they are capable of doing the job, and it's verified by practical testing, so what?
Exactly!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Why do we care about this again? These threads keep getting started by folks regarding the age of FAs, much frivolity ensues, the thread eventually gets locked, and then we do it again. But, unfortunately, I can never remember why people care about this?

I have a ways to go before I'm 60, but I sure hope I have the opportunity to continue earning a living when I get there...

Regards
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Overall I'm pretty sympathetic to the airline employees but this whine is a few octaves too high for me.

To the alleged flight attendant:

1) Every career path has its dues. It's the way it is. I'm a board certified physician... I've worked 60+ hours a week for most of my adult life. When I was an intern and resident I routinely worked 80+ hours/week with only 2 weeks off a year. I still don't get all of the holidays off despite being mid-career.
2) Use your weeks off of work to get a degree in something that will pay you more. Or give you holidays. Become a school teacher. Become an RN. Do something else. Your future isn't going to be a whole lot different.
3) I call BUNK on the 60 year old theory. I could buy into 50-ish. But as others pointed out, what difference does it make? From my perspective the only thing I think of when I hear people complaining about FA age is that they want a hot <redacted> to look at during the flight.
4) Age cap. Ugh. I promise you that when you're 65 and your pension/401(k) just got whacked due to the economy, you'll be glad you can hang in there for another year or two to make the difference between an impoverished retirement and a pleasant one.

Full disclosure: I'm in "mid life" and hope to have the opportunity to work past 65 if I so desire.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 29, 2010 at 11:25 am
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The poor talk about FAs having to slash their spending on pet care is a bit odd, though.
It ain't easy being a Crazy Cat Lady.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:30 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Free Agent
Originally Posted by iahphx
Updated... you'll see that there are actually AA flight attendants collecting Social Security! Amazing.
And nurses, and bus drivers, and doctors, and engineers, and EMTs and artists, and tuba players, maintenance men, ..... So what?

This fact is not the least bit amazing.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
We can all sit around and dismiss this FA's letter but an interesting point is raised. Would it not benefit the FAs themselves, AA as an airline and its passengers if it were able to successfully move away from a seniority based hierarchy and move to a structure that rewarded job performance?

Yes there are plenty of terrific FAs, some on this board even claim to have never had a lousy FA, but I think we can all agree that overall, there is room for improvement.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sukn
We can all sit around and dismiss this FA's letter but an interesting point is raised. Would it not benefit the FAs themselves, AA as an airline and its passengers if it were able to successfully move away from a seniority based hierarchy and move to a structure that rewarded job performance?

Yes there are plenty of terrific FAs, some on this board even claim to have never had a lousy FA, but I think we can all agree that overall, there is room for improvement.
I agree, but the promotion and seniority scheme is a separate argument from average age. The whole notion of the seniority scheme is a discussion we've had many, many times under another basic topic- one that doesn't fit here, and is sure to get the thread locked if we go down that path.

Hmmm...on second thought, let's talk about it

Cheers.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur
Enjoy a flight on AA metal to NRT, and you will easily confirm the average of 60.

The poor talk about FAs having to slash their spending on pet care is a bit odd, though.
definitely agree with you there Wilbur. The JFK-NRT is definitely a crew with an avg age of 60 if not more. fly that route all the time and i just can't believe how old they are.

However, i also do agree that it is really hard to believe that the enitre population of FA's at AA sum up to an average age of 60. Definitely something wrong there.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:08 am

Most of the legacy airlines are staffed by dinosaurs right now. Can't confirm it but I've heard several times now that there are no active (non-furloughed) pilots at American who are younger than 40 at this point.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I don't have emperical evidence by no way. I say somewhere in their 40s.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:22 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by Hammer0425
Most of the legacy airlines are staffed by dinosaurs right now. Can't confirm it but I've heard several times now that there are no active (non-furloughed) pilots at American who are younger than 40 at this point.
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I don't have emperical evidence by no way. I say somewhere in their 40s.
Someone in their 40s is now a dinosaur. What is someone in their sixties, a one-cell protozoa?

As facts seemed to be missing from reality here we will close as there seems to be very little that is redeeming within the thread. Unless a ground swell for "alerts" are sent to the moderators to reopen than it will remain closed.

Thanks to everyone for your contributions. As Randy always states you are only as good as your last post.

~magic111

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.