Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie AA Question (upgrading domestic AA flight with Avios)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2013, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: ex-UA Prem 1K, Amex Plat., *A Gold, SPG Gold
Newbie AA Question (upgrading domestic AA flight with Avios)

I'm typically a UA flyer (Platinum on that airline). Flying on a full fare economy flight (Fare Class W) on a flight from LGA to DFW. I have a BA Avios account and was wondering if I'm able to transfer Amex Points to my BA account and utilize those to upgrade to First on my flight.

Also, can you confirm that I only need 10k miles for the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by halpie97
I'm typically a UA flyer (Platinum on that airline). Flying on a full fare economy flight (Fare Class W) on a flight from LGA to DFW. I have a BA Avios account and was wondering if I'm able to transfer Amex Points to my BA account and utilize those to upgrade to First on my flight.

Also, can you confirm that I only need 10k miles for the upgrade.

Thanks in advance for the help.
W is not full-fare economy on AA. Only Y and B. So you will need 15K miles.

Also, I'm pretty sure you can't use Avios points to upgrade AA flights.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:10 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Only Y and B fares are eligible for the lower mileage and no co-pay upgrade options 5K for continental USA. As vasantn pointed out a W fare on AA is just a regular economy fare and will require 15K miles + $75 co-pay.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT
Originally Posted by vasantn
Also, I'm pretty sure you can't use Avios points to upgrade AA flights.
I think it's not impossible if op really booked full Y/B fare as we can do the same for BA/IB.

As OP will use Avios, AA forum is not a right place to ask, I think OP should ask on BA forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...os-points.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ing-avios.html
Old Apr 24, 2013, 3:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
True; OP seems to be misinformed. Fare class "W" is certainly not a "full fare" when it is booked on an AA operated and marketed flight - it is a discounted economy class fare, and therefore is not eligible (only B or Y, which earn 1.5 EQP per EQ mile, can be typified "full fare economy" fares.

If booked as a codeshare, it would not be eligible for an upgrade with AA miles or Avios either, AFAIK.

From aa.com:
Deep Discount Economy Class - G, Q, N, O, S 0.50 (EQP per EQM)

Discount Economy Class - H, K, M, L, W, V 1.00 (EQP per EQM)

Full-Fare Economy Class - B, Y,W* 1.50 (EQP per EQM)
* In some cases, AA codeshare flights booked in 'W' (marketed by AA and operated by other airlines), represent travel in a Premium Economy cabin or fare and will, therefore, earn 1.50 points per qualifying mile earned.

Originally Posted by HNL
Only Y and B fares are eligible for the lower mileage and no co-pay upgrade options 5K for continental USA. As vasantn pointed out a W fare on AA is just a regular economy fare and will require 15K miles + $75 co-pay.

A reminder as we retitle this thread... and we may merge it as well:

Originally Posted by FT TOS
Create Descriptive Titles - link to this guideline
Make thread titles as specific and descriptive as possible. Sometimes posters will start a thread with a very general title such as, "Guess what?" or "Strange airline policy". Be as helpful as possible in your thread titles, and if you want to improve or change your thread's title after you create it, ask a moderator in that forum for help.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.