Possible Sustainability Initiatives for AA

Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Possible Sustainability Initiatives for AA

Today, April 21 is Earth Day. Obviously as a major global airline AA's operations can have a harmful impact on our environment. What sustainability initiatives would you like to see?

Here's my list:
  • Recycling receptacles in Admirals Club and Flagship Lounges. Composting of food waste (whenever possible). Some clubs have paper bins but they often contain other waste. We have no way of knowing other cans, bottles, etc actually get recycled.
  • Sustainable design in airport facilities to maximize natural light and energy efficient lighting
  • Replacing plastic cups with a biodegradable substitute such as corn based compostable material
  • Continue adding blended winglets to aircraft (some 763s are still not outfitted, although many of those and S80s will be leaving the fleet in coming years)
  • Information is power. Provide travelers information on the carbon emissions related to their flight selection. Offer the option to purchase offset
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Accelerated replacement of MD-80s with more fuel efficient aircraft. For every MD-80 replaced by a 738, AA will burn approximately 60,000 fewer gallons of jet fuel every month. That's a lot of pounds of carbon.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
None. Energy should be focused elsewhere.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:33 am

Earth day is April 22, not 21.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 5:59 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
One thing somewhat related is for AA to go to DL's way of handling gate upgrades and standbys. Once you clear your new seat assignment is flashed on the board and you simply board with your original BP. No need to get a new BP from the GA.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
I think this is a wrong approach for "Earth Day"

It is not about what "they" can do, but what "I" can do.

I can think of at least 10 things that one can do for the environment without AA having to do anything.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: AA Exec Plt, SPG Platinum
Agreed - focus for AA should be elsewhere.

Btw - you do realize that the biodegradable cups suggestion is a farce. It takes significantly more energy to produce a biodegradable cup than say, a styrofoam cup. We're talking significantly more energy. So strangely enough, styrofoam is the better choice.

I suggest AA replace all paper cups with stryrofoam!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by bustraveler
Agreed - focus for AA should be elsewhere.

Btw - you do realize that the biodegradable cups suggestion is a farce. It takes significantly more energy to produce a biodegradable cup than say, a styrofoam cup. We're talking significantly more energy. So strangely enough, styrofoam is the better choice.

I suggest AA replace all paper cups with stryrofoam!
Why not just use regular mugs instead? Doesn't create any trash.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by george 3
Why not just use regular mugs instead? Doesn't create any trash.
Weight, space, cleaning cost/resources.

Can you imagine stocking 100+ mugs on the aircraft?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Antarius

Porter has no problem doing 70, international carriers that serve meals on narrow bodies have small plastic mugs on meal trays...
Old Apr 22, 2013, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Porter has no problem doing 70, international carriers that serve meals on narrow bodies have small plastic mugs on meal trays...
Forgot about the plastic cups. Would be nice to see them.

On an mildly related note, nothing beats a classic ceramic cup. Dissipates heat perfectly through the sides. ^

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 23, 2013 at 3:30 am Reason: Removed quote of and reply to redacted content
Old Apr 22, 2013, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Antarius

Yes, and over the course of one year, the impact on the environment for the additional fuel to fly and wash an extra 100 mugs will be far less than 150 cups thrown away per leg. I don't know what the average number of legs per 24 hour period for an AA aircraft is, but assuming its say four, that's 219,000 styrofoam / plastic cups per year. The airline can find a place to stow them.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP
<redacted> I'd like to see AA do as much as possible to help green initiatives. Making sure all Admirals Clubs have proper mugs rather than disposable ones would be a start.

Last edited by Microwave; Apr 23, 2013 at 3:31 am
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
The topic of this thread is what AA can do for sustainability. It is not a place to discuss or debate climate change. In fact, the AAdvantage forum as a whole is not the place to have such a debate. As with all threads on FlyerTalk, if you're not interested in this topic, move along. If you want to get into debates and discussions with FlyerTalkers which have nothing to do with travel, I'd suggest the OMNI fora as good places to start.

Many posts have been redacted or removed to bring this thread back to what it was originally meant to discuss. If there are any questions about why this action was taken or why a specific post was redacted or removed, please contact myself or one of my colleagues in the AAdvantage forum privately.

~Moderator
Old Apr 23, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
The only "sustainability" for AA i really carry about is that they remain as a carrier and maintain all the things certain of us travelers like about them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.