Community
Wiki Posts
Search

USAirways Merger Rumors Resurfacing...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2009, 12:26 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by bniu
LAX, AA/UA could have the entire southside of the airport all to themselves (and OW)...
DL/NW Terminal 5 is sandwiched between AA T4 and UA T6&7

Quite frankly, I don't think AA should merge with anyone in this tough economic times. Rather, I'd think they'd be better off supporting some potential carriers with an OW alliance sponsorship. AS (West Coast) and HA (South Pacific) would be great choices.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 1:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AA-EXP 14M, UA-1K, AS-MVP Gold, DL-PL, CO-PL, EK-Gold, BA-Gold, HH-D, SPG-PL
Smile

Originally Posted by zman
The only airline US needs to merge with is Eastern, PAN AM, TWA, Braniff or Peoples Express.
Aprey is not this dumb.
+1,

absolutely!
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:30 pm
EAL
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Virgin America Elevate
Here's another new article on the subject http://www.jaunted.com/story/2009/11...+The+Mistletoe

This mentions the much debated "what will they do with CLT". I'd still really like to know what would happen with PHL. I like how this one states that IF something were to happen that AAs's policies should be retained.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:36 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I don't know how that is either considered "news" or "article". Looks like a blog post faking to be news to me. Look up the author and you'll see that he likes roller coasters and airplanes. Anyway, until I see a real article from a major national news source, it doesn't exist. I mean, if this were even remotely true, don't you think WSJ would have picked it up???

And where's the $$$ coming from... AA's pouring cash into JAL. It's not as if they're flush with cash.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by emma dog
And where's the $$$ coming from... AA's pouring cash into JAL. It's not as if they're flush with cash.
AA just got a $5B equity injection in September. AA has the funds.

And AA is only proposing putting about $350M in JAL. The rest of the $1B+ is coming from TPG.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 9:42 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Talking

Heard today from a pilot(so you've got to consider the source)that AA wants US West & UA wants US East.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Actually, the pilot's comments make sense. AA needs the PHX hubs, while UA could use the CLT hub. Who really needs the PHL hub -- maybe a smaller version of the original US.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by formeraa
Actually, the pilot's comments make sense. AA needs the PHX hubs, while UA could use the CLT hub. Who really needs the PHL hub -- maybe a smaller version of the original US.

I wasn't going to say it, but actually this one has been going around for quite awhile.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 1:51 pm
EAL
Original Poster

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Virgin America Elevate
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
I wasn't going to say it, but actually this one has been going around for quite awhile.
But that couldn't happen unless US goes out of buisness, right? And I'm sure if that were to happen, US wouldn't be split perfectly in two for AA and UA...other airlines would want part of it as well. FL could use the PHL hub...maybe even VX ;-) Now THAT would be amazing...I know I'm dreaming (about the VX part) but still...
Old Nov 19, 2009, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*
People are talking about money, what about the AAcash needed to stop JAL going to DL etc?

BM
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: Grounded
Plus if US West and US East had a terrible time integrating, who's to say that there won't be bad blood in a second split up and re-marriage with other suitors?
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
What makes anyone thing a "hub" is worth anything??? And what makes anyone think AA "needs" a hub at PHX???

If anything, a PHX hub is damaged goods. Too much LCC competition.

And a hub w/r/t/ infrastructure, most of it is owned by the airport and city itself and really carries no value to any particular carrier. They may "own" the gate, but if airline XX wants to build a hub at SEA, the Port of Seattle would gladly make gate space available given a suitable long term lease.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
The problem is there's only a limited number of places suitable to being hubs. They need enough O&D traffic to support the number of direct flights you'll be offering, the airport capacity to handle all the flights you need, and preferably to be located in between where people are traveling. This is why DFW and ORD make such outstanding hubs, because they're roughly in line where people want to go. SEA is a bad choice because it will involve backtracking or 2 sides of a right triangle for the vast majority of passengers.

For the West Coast, the practical cities for being a hub are in order of value (to me):
SFO (OAK, SJC)
LAX
PHX
LAS
SLC
SEA
PDX

Note how they all pretty much happen to be hubs already? The only cities that can share being hubs so far are NYC, CHI and LAX because of their massive populations. If AA wants a western expansion, they can either really beef up LAX (which is what I expect) or they'll probably have to go with LAS or PHX if they can get them from US, and PHX is a much better (bigger city) choice than LAS.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA, WN, DL- zilch by choice, IHG-Diamond, Marriott-Gold, Hilton Gold,
I guess I can't begin to see why AA would want either a West Coast or Southeast hub. They have had them both before at SJC as well as BNA and RDU. They spent all kinds of money to build three hubs they dismantled in less than 10 years. They saturated the Southeast with flights from both RDU and BNA and it just did not work. Why would they want to do it all over again, from CLT this time???
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:04 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by 6P&E
I guess I can't begin to see why AA would want either a West Coast or Southeast hub. They have had them both before at SJC as well as BNA and RDU. They spent all kinds of money to build three hubs they dismantled in less than 10 years. They saturated the Southeast with flights from both RDU and BNA and it just did not work. Why would they want to do it all over again, from CLT this time???
Is today 1995?

No, today is not 1995.

AA needs a viable domestic Southeast hub, and Charlotte is perfect.

AA already has a defacto west coast hub at LAX, which will only be growing in the early part of the next decade thanks to new gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.