500 mile upgrades- can you transfer/use for someone else

Old Aug 30, 2009, 12:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Starwoods Gold
500 mile upgrades- can you transfer/use for someone else

My dad and I both have Gold. He has a bunch of 500 mile upgrades but NEVER flies AA. Is there a way for him to use his 500 mile upgrades on my flights? Should I just try talking to a CSR and seeing if they will make an exception?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Won't happen. He can use his "stickers" on companions who are flying with him. As you are EXP, that won't do much for you.

Bennies are for those who earn them. They hope that they won't all be used, thus saving them money.

You can ask CS anything you like. Don't expect it to happen, though.

Steve
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:26 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by justinb
My dad and I both have Gold. He has a bunch of 500 mile upgrades but NEVER flies AA. Is there a way for him to use his 500 mile upgrades on my flights? Should I just try talking to a CSR and seeing if they will make an exception?
Your profile shows you as EXP so why do you need your Dad's stickers for your upgrades

As explained in the FAQ sticky at the top of the forum, you cannot transfer 500-mile upgrade stickers to someone not travelling with you. That sticky also tells you what you can do with stickers you may not otherwise be able to use:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...check-out.html
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Your profile shows you as EXP so why do you need your Dad's stickers for your upgrades
Huh?

justinb

Programs: AA Gold, Starwoods Gold
Old Aug 30, 2009, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, Starwoods Gold
My profile was outdated. I now have gold and should have plat in a few weeks.

sry for the confusion
Old Aug 30, 2009, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Huh?
The OP updated it after my post - it was showing AA EXP before.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by justinb
My profile was outdated. I now have gold and should have plat in a few weeks.

Your "join date" states March 2009 - how does one drop from EXP to GLD in 6 months?

Anyway, you can not transfer 500 mile upgrades from one account to another, nor can you use the upgrades from another account (unless, of course, you are traveling on the same slight wiht that account holder).
Old Aug 30, 2009, 6:51 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdemaria

Your "join date" states March 2009 - how does one drop from EXP to GLD in 6 months?
It's AA's new "hard landing." Haven't you heard?

Cheers.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
It's AA's new "hard landing." Haven't you heard?

Cheers.
Ouch! EXP to Gold in the middle of the year? That's harder than the landing from being asked to step outside at 35,000 feet!
Old Aug 30, 2009, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdemaria

Busted!
Old Aug 30, 2009, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Busted!
No kidding, on March 26 he stated he was EXP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ose-ba-ib.html
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
No kidding, on March 26 he stated he was EXP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ose-ba-ib.html
Not defending impostors or anything, but maybe he created an account and is asking questions for everyone in his family, some of whom are EXP and others GLD?
Old Aug 30, 2009, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Not defending impostors or anything, but maybe he created an account and is asking questions for everyone in his family, some of whom are EXP and others GLD?
I don't buy it..
Old Aug 31, 2009, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
I don't buy it..
Me neither. In this post, the OP definitely states that it is HE who is EXP but then seems to be equating it to OW Sapphire

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post11478416

EXP, OW Sapphire to GLD all in the same membership year Quite possible in reverse as one works one's way up the tiers but not this way round
Old Aug 31, 2009, 7:09 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, AC Member, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Emerald Club Executive
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Me neither. In this post, the OP definitely states that it is HE who is EXP but then seems to be equating it to OW Sapphire

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...l#post11478416

EXP, OW Sapphire to GLD all in the same membership year Quite possible in reverse as one works one's way up the tiers but not this way round
I've seen other people get confused about AAdvantage Executive Platinum and Platinum levels before. There are some people who think they are simply different names for the same thing.

I can understand this to a certain extent if a person is not that well acquainted with the terms of the programme and doesn't read the membership guides or the plethora of information regarding the same on aa.com, and perhaps AA are a little bit to blame for not differentiating the names of the levels a little better (cf. Delta's Silver/Gold/Platinum, BA's Blue/Silver/Gold, etc.). After all, they both have the word platinum in them, so they must be the same, right? [/tongue in cheek]

However, the bottom line is that there really is no excuse for not knowing, since the information is out there and freely available. In the interests of fair play though, let's give the OP the benefit of the doubt and assume that this is an honest mistake and not an attempt to subvert the entire AAdvantage programme, or even Flyertalk

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.