Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:08 pm

Baggage Interline Question [AA SEA-ORD UA ORD-GRB]

I am sure this is a dumb question, but I have a ticket booked, on AA, from SEA to ORD, and now I need to get to Green Bay. AA is 30K points that day, but I see a flight on UA that is only 10K. I am concerned I will not have time to get my bags from the AA flight, and get them checked to the UA flight. It is only about 90 minutes between, and I have to check a bag. Is there any way to get the bags checked through to Green Bay? Thanks!

Last edited by headoflife; Aug 4, 2016 at 2:09 pm Reason: spelling
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
On separate tickets, AA will only check through to other AA or oneworld flights. Official policy is they will only interline to a UA flight if it is booked together.

Either find a way to book everything all on AA or leave yourself a lot more time than 90 minutes to connect from AA to UA at ORD.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 2:35 pm

Is there any chance an agent would break with official policy? I don't even know if this is possible.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Yes, there is a chance.

But, you won't know until you check the bag at SEA and that is way after you have purchased the ticket.

As others note, 90 minutes is not enough time to retrieve your bag, drag it to UA, check it in with UA, clear the checkpoint and head to your new gate.

Consider using UPS or FedEx Ground for your bag. Depending on its weight, it ought to cost $25-40 and will take around 4 days. That way, no checked bag and you still get the cheaper fares.

But remember, if your inbound flight from SEA is late and you therefore miss your UA flight, your UA ticket will be cancelled and you will be at UA's mercy to get it reinstated (or purchase a new one).
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:24 pm

What happens if I just don't get my bag from AA? Do they hold it at ORD, send it to me, or am I just SOL and they can say they don't have it.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by headoflife
What happens if I just don't get my bag from AA? Do they hold it at ORD, send it to me, or am I just SOL and they can say they don't have it.
If you don't retrieve it at ORD, assuming it's not stolen from the baggage claim area, standard procedure is to lock it up in the luggage office for a certain amount of time (I don't know how many days, but it's not many). After that point, if it's not retrieved from the luggage office it's sent to a lost luggage center. At no point will it be forwarded to you. Basically if you want to have any chance of actually getting your bag back, your proposed flights don't work.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Please hold while we transfer your thread... to the AA forum

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Aug 5, 2016, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Silver
Connecting AA and CX PNRs

Hi,

I have a BAEC reward flight booked ORD-HKG-BKK return in First. I was in a rush booking the flight and didn't think of booking the CLT-ORD-CLT sectors and I've only just booked them on AA under a separate PNR. Is there any way the AA can link the PNRs for me so that I can check my bags all the way through from CLT-BKK?

Thanks,
Old Aug 5, 2016, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capin
Hi,

I have a BAEC reward flight booked ORD-HKG-BKK return in First. I was in a rush booking the flight and didn't think of booking the CLT-ORD-CLT sectors and I've only just booked them on AA under a separate PNR. Is there any way the AA can link the PNRs for me so that I can check my bags all the way through from CLT-BKK?

Thanks,
AA will check through on separate bookings as long as both bookings are AA or oneworld. When you check in at CLT, just show the agent the details of your CX booking and they will tag through.

On the reverse, it will depend on whether CX will tag through on separate bookings.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:01 pm
JTK

Programs: AAdvantage EP
On the reverse it won't matter as you have to pickup your bags in ORD at customs. You can then check it after customs.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:48 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Checking baggage through Intl. on two different tickets

Flying AA to LHR and then connecting on to Munich on BA. These are two separate reservations.

Will AA check my bag all the way through to Munich at my origin (ORD) if I provide them the ticket info for BA in ORD? Or would I just be able to easily check the bag into BA at LHR once cleared customs?
Old Aug 6, 2016, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

AA's current policy is to check bags through on separate itineraries to other OW flights, so should be ok

If this is a round trip journey, be aware that BA's policy is to not check bags through, so would need to collect in LHR and take bags round to check in with AA. BA will also offer no protection should you misconnect
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Flying AA to LHR and then connecting on to Munich on BA. These are two separate reservations.

Will AA check my bag all the way through to Munich at my origin (ORD) if I provide them the ticket info for BA in ORD? Or would I just be able to easily check the bag into BA at LHR once cleared customs?
AA might, but on the return BA assuredly will not.

See the Wikipost above and in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...un-2016-a.html.
Old Aug 6, 2016, 8:45 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Thank you.

This is the archived thread of older posts or posts rendered obsolete by the recent oneworld and AA changes to baggage handling and charges on separate PNRs.. The current thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 9, 2016 at 8:19 pm Reason: Add moderator note
Old Sep 8, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: JL JMB Diamond 1.4 MM, UA 1P 1.2 MM
FAQ: Baggage / Luggage Rules, Allowance, Through-check on AA & Other Airlines

Flying on an AA award. SFO-LAX-NRT. SFO-LAX is economy since the F class award was not available. LAX-NRT is in F on JL. My question is this, at SFO, does my mother in law with no status get to check in at the first class AA counter? Or does she have to line up at the Y counter since her first leg is in Y? Thanks in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.