Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.

Old Nov 21, 2008, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by steve32
I was referring to the dog that had pictures posted about it's urinating and defecating in the cabin.

There was an FA there, but not the owner. If the owner does not need to be accompanied by the dog at all times, then it can go into a travel container (still in the passenger cabin) with it's food and sanitary needs provided for in there. That would in fact keep the animal closer to the owner than was the case.

Steve
My apologies. I had not viewed those pictures (nor do I plan to after hearing the description) but now I better understand your statements. Yuck, indeed.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by thechosenuno
Thank you, Dallas49er. At least someone was actually able to read what I said as opposed to assume I hate dogs and people with disabilities.

I finally spoke to the very kind woman who called from the AA Executive Office, and she apologized for the whole situation. She explained that AA has no choice but to allow the animals on board if the people have a letter from an MD, which these people did. However, she said that, while they can't control whether or not these people could fly with the animals, AA staff can make adjustments and accomodations when it comes to seating. She apologized again that the FA live up to the standards AA hopes for and she offered me 5k miles for the situation. I thanked her and told her I understand AA's predicament. She said that the FA would be spoken to about the incident.
Great! Sorry they can't do more about the PAX that started this whole thing.

OBTW-Maybe it's just my computer, but there is an advertisement for Pet Carriers right underneath your last post. Conspiracy theorists-Start your engines!
Old Nov 21, 2008, 11:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Dallas49er

OBTW-Maybe it's just my computer, but there is an advertisement for Pet Carriers right underneath your last post. Conspiracy theorists-Start your engines!
Two words..or maybe one is a phrase:

Firefox
....... Plus

Cheers.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BenjaminNYC
Excellent. ^^^^

Personally, I find the presence of babies that make noise and soil themselves on board revolting...FAR more offensive than any lovely dog. The restrictions placed on bringing animals on board (or into restaurants in the USA) are absurd. If you can bring your soiled baby into a restaurant, and I have to tolerate it, you should be able to tolerate a dog.
How do you feel about a lovely baby versus a barking, flatulent dog with exceedingly loose bowels on board?
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by brp
Two words..or maybe one is a phrase:

Firefox
....... Plus

Cheers.
ROfL..L..L. MrsDallas49er refers to me as a "Techno-peasant.". I'll have her get right on that.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
How do you feel about a lovely baby versus a barking, flatulent dog with exceedingly loose bowels on board?
Don't know. It's just so much more common for me to be bothered by a baby. Never been bothered by an on board pet.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Don't know. It's just so much more common for me to be bothered by a baby. Never been bothered by an on board pet.
Babies don't cause allergies... though they may be cooing, drooling germ factories.

I'm not anti-baby or anti-pet, though I am allergy-reactive around some dogs and virtually all cats. I would be upset at having to sit near some uncrated pet that spreads dander and hair, so it's too bad that the FA didn't do some creative shuffling to appease everyone.

One thing that us allergy sufferers can do onboard, however, is keep the air blower open and on full blast to keep the air in and around your face circulating. That way, you hopefully won't ingest any floating hair or dander -- and cold air always helps stop the reaction process (for me at least, but I suspect it's same for most people)...

Of course, if it's an obvious service dog, there's not much to be done about that. Grin and bear (/dog/cat) it.

Last edited by WanderingGent; Nov 21, 2008 at 12:50 pm Reason: Added two more cents
Old Nov 21, 2008, 12:53 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cAAribmorpho
Babies don't cause allergies... though they may be cooing, drooling germ factories.
But there are just so many more kids on planes that there are pets. I'm not particularly "anti" either of them, but from a percentage basis, kid annoyances far exceed pet annoyances. I certainly think that the "lovely baby and barking, flatulent dog" comment that BenjaminNYC quoted doesn't reflect the reality that most of us see with regard to these categories of irritants.

Cheers.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brp
"lovely baby and barking, flatulent dog" comment
I think I'd have to draw the line at 'barking, flatulent babies,' however...
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:44 pm

I'm not anti-baby or anti-pet, though I am allergy-reactive around some dogs and virtually all cats. I would be upset at having to sit near some uncrated pet that spreads dander and hair, so it's too bad that the FA didn't do some creative shuffling to appease everyone.

One thing that us allergy sufferers can do onboard, however, is keep the air blower open and on full blast to keep the air in and around your face circulating. That way, you hopefully won't ingest any floating hair or dander -- and cold air always helps stop the reaction process (for me at least, but I suspect it's same for most people)...

Of course, if it's an obvious service dog, there's not much to be done about that. Grin and bear (/dog/cat) it.
Umm, err... you do know that some of the air in the airblower is just recirculated cabin air don't you?? So in effect you are blowing some pet particles on yourself at high pressure.
Old Nov 21, 2008, 5:46 pm

I think I'd have to draw the line at 'barking, flatulent babies,' however...
Then by the same token you are ok with lovely dogs with loose bowels?
Old Nov 22, 2008, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Real service dogs are better behaved than many people. I have never seen nor heard of any adverse incident with one.

With their poise, they can be identified very easily as such, even without their harness. I've never knowingly seen one not in a harness, as I understand that that is part of their training--they are "on the job" while in harness, and they can be more playful and loose when "off the job" and out of harness.

Other than possibly needing to wake up the pax w/ needs to have him move the dog momentarily to be able to get out to the aisle (possible for the dog were taking up that much space), which is very rare for me to do other than on a 2000+ mile flight, you wouldn't even notice them. I would be happy to sit next to a pax with such a service animal, though the likelyhood is not high as I'm usually in the exit row.

Steve
Old Nov 22, 2008, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, EZ Pass Plat, Starbucks Gold, Whatever flight is cheapest
Well, thank you, but I think that my attitude is fine. Again, I'll say it - my big problem was with the rudeness of the flight attendant.
Then perhaps you should have changed the emphasis of the original post:

Emotional Support Animals. Are you kidding me? A rant.
What kind of crock of b*** s*** is the concept of an emotional support animal!? Mandated by the government, no less. The FAA (or whatever federal agency came up with that mandate) needs to take its head out of its a** and focus on more important things!
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
It's a guess, but it's a REALLY educated one based on visual observations and listening to these people talk about the animals during take-off, dinner, and landing.
The truth is, we have no way of knowing what kind of dogs these were. Also, if in fact they were autism service dogs, it would be uncommon if the owner's conversations weren't about dogs, almost to the exclusion of anything else.

Very sorry for your discomfort - I mean that - but in my experience (limited) you can't just bring a dog on and claim it is a service animal. You need to provide documentation to that effect. My guess is it is unlikely these folks were flouting the rules, and more likely that you were caught in a rough situation where there wasn't going to be any mutually acceptable resolution. Sounds like your drugs kicked in towards the end, so at least it wasn't a permanent situation.
Old Nov 22, 2008, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.27M Hyatt Diamond Marriott SLVR HHonors GLD
Originally Posted by skylady
This is close to the peanut allergy. AA does not claim to be peanut free, or dander free. I have been around plenty of perfume wearers that have made mide sinuses go crazy, but am not entitled to any restitution.
WHEEET! <throwing the BS flag>

The OP reported itchy and watery eyes, congestion. For the record, peanut allergies lead to anaphylactic shock and often sudden death. The two are not even remotely close.

As far as over-application of perfume goes, I agree it's annoying. And yet, it is still not life threatening.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.